Thread: Shamir Products

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Shamir Products

We are adding the Shamir line to our optical to get give more choice than the Essilor products. Anyone have any experience with the Shamir computer or workspace lenses? So far patients love the "IN Touch" I would like to know what the experience is with the other shamir products I have heard good things about the Autograph III.. I appreciate any input.

-J

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Shamir is Essilor now anyway aren't they? Or are they doing the "only 49% ownership" thing still?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Shamir is Essilor now anyway aren't they? Or are they doing the "only 49% ownership" thing still?
    Yes, Essilor owns a big chunk of Shamir and 49% sounds about right.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I appreciate the reply. That is a shame! I don't know about ownership but I like the Shamir products. I have had a several disappointed patients that tried the S design but do not like it. similar experience with the Physio enhanced so we are adding the Shamir and so far its been good!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Give Seiko products a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Last I saw it was a 50/50 split. And whether or not Essilor owns a percentage has nothing to do with the quality of their lens designs.

The Computer and Workspace both are good, as long as you make sure you're giving the patient what they're looking for. The Computer is for, well, computer distance, while the Workspace is for, say, a small cubicle. The Auto 2 Office is for in between the two.

So far, the Shamir FreeForm lines have sold very well. I think they over think some of their designs sometimes, but overall they are very good.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will have to try them out. Thanks for the tip!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pssssst.....try Hoya products!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Well, if y'all gonna be that way about it....

Don't forget the IOT designs, which will all be marketed under the lab's house brand name.
    Don't forget Zeiss.
    Don't forget Signet Armorlite.

Heck, try EVERYONE's products and see what works best.

Don't forget to use the search function here. Just type in the design you're curious about and see what everyone's already written.

We run Shamir, Seiko, IOT, and Hoya. All have their pluses and minuses, and most of our accounts have their personal preferences. Remember that no one lens will always work for every patient.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, I have read about the differences of the computer/workspace, I am excited to try it. Any thoughts on the SV freeform? I am not completely sold on the difference that provides compared to a reg SV lens grind process . I know it is a more precise RX but is it noticeable? I am just talking the optics (I believe in the freeform lens & design for progressives on the backside) but when they say 1/100 of a diopter is is noticeable by the patient? This question was posed to me by an optometrist.

Occupation
    Almost everyone on here will say that 0.01 is not noticeable by 99.5% of the population. But the accuracy of the back curves isn't the most important benefit of Free Form Single Vision.

The biggest difference will be seen in higher Rx wearers, especially with higher astigmatism, as the Free Form SV (depending on the brand and design) can greatly expand the area of clear vision in a lens.

Best example I can give are the lenses I'm wearing, the Seiko SuperMV 1.67.

Rx: OD -6.75 -0.75 x87 OS -7.75 -1.00 x107 50 eye drill mount

With the Seiko lenses, when I look through the temporal edge of the lenses, it's just as clear as looking through the center of the lenses. No blurring or distortion at all.

Now, not everyone will have what we call the "Wow factor." Someone with a low prescription, say between +/- 2.00 or so, and/or with a cylinder below -1.00 or so will not notice much of a difference. However, the -5.00's and +6.00's and such will see a definite difference. Grab some people in the office with single vision prescriptions, preferably higher ones, make a conventional pair, and make a Free Form SV pair (you may want to wait for the Autograph III SV release, beginning of next year) and let them tell you the difference.

Oh, and it REALLY makes a difference in Wrap frames. We've had bikers come in and be THRILLED that they can see their mirrors without having to turn their heads.

Remember, wearing and seeing is believing, so give them a try.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We have had great success with the Auto III. Many a Physio Enhanced wearer have been switched without complaint.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JDG,

I highly recommend Mark Shupnick's CE course on FF SV (sponsored by Seiko and talks about the lens design WFruit is wearing.) If not for the free hour credit, the material is very informative as to where and why your patients will benefit from the new design.

http://www.2020mag.com/ce/TTViewTest...essonId=110804

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Give Seiko products a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
    Seiko has the widest variety of problem solving lenses in the market, the most advanced corridor optics, the only reverse geometry lens (the intermediate is the widest portion), and their patented distance aspherics are so good Essilor uses them on the Enhanced series. Plus you have the advantage that they patented the first Free-form in 1997, which means Seiko doesn't have to pay a licensing click fee like everyone else does, so you get their FF lenses much cheaper.

Shamir has best Cylinder technology on the market, and the InTouch is a great lens, but with only 2 seg heights in less likely to work well in higher adds. So you should have Shamir and Seiko in your tool box. But depending only on Shamir will leave you less than thrilled for higher adds and hyperopes.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaker View Post
    JDG,

I highly recommend Mark Shupnick's CE course on FF SV (sponsored by Seiko and talks about the lens design WFruit is wearing.) If not for the free hour credit, the material is very informative as to where and why your patients will benefit from the new design.

http://www.2020mag.com/ce/TTViewTest...essonId=110804
    Thank You for the info. I appreciate everyone's input and I will consider and try out new things! I am excited and cannnot wait to try things out and give people what is best for them and their needs.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    JDG I picked up Shamir products approx 1 1/2yr ago. I have nothing to say but Praise! Auto II Fixed and Variable awesome, Auto III more better!! I have had only one Variable change out for pt serious rx change and frame size. I recently had three New Progressive wearers in the last two weeks, sat for disp. have a few focal areas I quiz them with, quick lay out explanation(now that they have them on) and they were out the door with hugh smiles! Even though it it hard and time consuming I call all my pts about three days out, how are they doing...no complaints just compliments. Computer lenses good I have an older crowd and I have used the Duo...great response to these as well. Really won't hurt you to try, I am sure you will be pleased.
    Ghost Rider
    Ghost Rider

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by JDG View Post
    We are adding the Shamir line to our optical to get give more choice than the Essilor products. Anyone have any experience with the Shamir computer or workspace lenses? So far patients love the "IN Touch" I would like to know what the experience is with the other shamir products I have heard good things about the Autograph III.. I appreciate any input.

-J
    Lots of happy patients in Computer & Workspace...but as always, asking questions to determine patient needs & historical tolerances, governing their expectations, and knowing when to avoid these lenses is key. These specialized designs are useful, but watch out for your dizzy sorts who just need simple lined solutions or conventional premium designs set to Intermediate/Near focals. I encourage using the computer/workspace brochures to give your patients a visual, and go over the plusses and minuses of each road.

In-Touch is ok...though don't expect happy Varilux wearers to be happy switching. The elevated power is a blessing for some, but a curse for others. Shamir A3 prices are so reasonable that I just don't have a reason to talk about In-Touch much....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Yes, Essilor owns a big chunk of Shamir and 49% sounds about right.
    That's my understanding, but it's an important 1%. That means they still control their own company and product. Yes, they contract with Essilor to be on the Essilor lab menu, but they have identical contracts with another lab. Oddly enough, by working both sides of the cola wars, they make themselves available to more opticals.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Pssssst.....try Hoya products!

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Speak of the devil, I think that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    We have had great success with the Auto III. Many a Physio Enhanced wearer have been switched without complaint.
    Ditto, although I try to keep people in the same lens they're proven happy with unless there's a reason to change. For moderate-strong myopes and folks wishing their Varilux corridor were shorter, I'll sure be talking to them about the A3's personally customized vertical channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    JDG I picked up Shamir products approx 1 1/2yr ago. I have nothing to say but Praise! Auto II Fixed and Variable awesome, Auto III more better!! I have had only one Variable change out for pt serious rx change and frame size. I recently had three New Progressive wearers in the last two weeks, sat for disp. have a few focal areas I quiz them with, quick lay out explanation(now that they have them on) and they were out the door with hugh smiles! Even though it it hard and time consuming I call all my pts about three days out, how are they doing...no complaints just compliments. Computer lenses good I have an older crowd and I have used the Duo...great response to these as well. Really won't hurt you to try, I am sure you will be pleased.
    Ghost Rider
    Agreed, it's a good product line. My Shamir guy tells me to stick with the fixed on A3s...and let the "Intellicorridor" function do its thing for a more predictably usable angle rather than an arbitrary one dictated by the frame. 'Have a good reason to go with an 18 fixed, an even better one to go 13 fixed, otherwise just stick with 15 fixed.'

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lol.......hey guys..........we are trying out different brand progressive lenses here not contact lenses.
    Try this one, try that one, try them all. Go broke trying them. What works for one may not work for the next.

None the less I use Varilux products here and for those that need something else up close I always go Shimar Computer or Work Space.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    lol.......hey guys..........we are trying out different brand progressive lenses here not contact lenses.
    Try this one, try that one, try them all. Go broke trying them. What works for one may not work for the next.

None the less I use Varilux products here and for those that need something else up close I always go Shimar Computer or Work Space.
    You really don't go broke by trying the different progressive lenses in the marketplace. The reps usually give you a complimentary pair to try so to win your business.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post

That's my understanding, but it's an important 1%. That means they still control their own company and product. Yes, they contract with Essilor to be on the Essilor lab menu, but they have identical contracts with another lab. Oddly enough, by working both sides of the cola wars, they make themselves available to more opticals.
    50/50

I'm sure their meetings are fun.

http://www.essilor.com/en/Press/Medi...Essilor_EN.pdf
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I'm sure their meetings are fun................................

Quote Originally Posted by other_bill_fea View Post
    50/50

I'm sure their meetings are fun.

http://www.essilor.com/en/Press/Medi...Essilor_EN.pdf

Probably, they have done a massive expansion in the 6 years since they are supported by Essilor.

Thread Information