Thread: Has any one ever....

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Has any one ever....

Made a clip-on with a little minus in it to make a pair of office lenses a functional driving pair? I've had a long day. Please temper your responses.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Made a clip-on with a little minus in it to make a pair of office lenses a functional driving pair? I've had a long day. Please temper your responses.
    Nope but have done a clip on with a +1.00Int & +2.00Nr trifocal seg stuck to the front of it.

But wouldn't do it again, would tell the person to get another pair of glasses or just get a pal/bif/trif.. Presbyopia sucks but its even worse when poorly managed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    when I worked at 1800Clipons I made reading clip-ons. best thing to do is try and see if you like the vision. With a minus lens of .25 theres plenty of play for your OC. I can't say theres a mass market for it, even when we were making them there wasn't much call for RX reading clips. Good luck and let us know what happens!

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    when I worked at 1800Clipons I made reading clip-ons. best thing to do is try and see if you like the vision. With a minus lens of .25 theres plenty of play for your OC. I can't say theres a mass market for it, even when we were making them there wasn't much call for RX reading clips. Good luck and let us know what happens!

It probably wont happen and ideally we want this guy in a full out progressive but he's an emerging presbyope with untreated hyperopia and we doubt he's gonna use them out of the office or for driving. He brought up the idea of sunglasses and I just thought of the clip for who knows why?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not recommended. I would just do a progressive or DVO. I've done OTC clips with magnification in it, but never minus. I think it opens you up to more problems. Keep it simple and do the second pair.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Clip-ons and flip-ups with single vision lenses can be a valuable tool in you kit to solve many occupational visual tasks. Their use is limited only by the ingenuity and skill of the dispenser.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. Almost always -0.75D. Also make these Chem layers for lying down/reclining and watching TV with progressives.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm pretty sure I've done this in a flip up, but usually it would be the other way around.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    You bet, polarized clip ons with a -1.00 this August for a patient. When dispensing it I had a woman in the clinic request one.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Not a problem for plus or minus power!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I take that back! A perfect clip must match back side clip lens curve to front RX lens curvature individually!

Thread Information