Thread: Newbie manager needs advice

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Newbie manager needs advice

Hello I'm completely new to the optical business. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me based on the number of exams we do a year if there is a set number or formula for how many frames we should carry and an average for capture rate for glasses. Also what are the responsibilities of the licensed dispensing optician? Does the optician only sell? Is he/she supposed to bill insurance, keep track of who has purchased and picked up their glasses understand insurances? I'm not sure what to expect of my optician. Is there a whole lot of difference in expectation for someone who is licensed versus someone who is a frame stylist? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your Optician? Interesting terminology, but good luck. Your question varies widely, but in Washington state (not the state of confusion) Opticians are licensed health care professionals. "Your" Optician should be treated as the professional they are and be supported by staff just as the other providers. In some practices, you will find little respect for "their" Optician, but learning about the positive things they bring will benefit you.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As an Optician I have to sell glasses to do that I need to be very familiar with insurances. What they provide, what the exclude, what labs they work with. It's also my job to follow up with patients regarding their orders. I guess my feeling is that if I am going to call myself an Optician I am going to do my best to know as much as I can about everything that goes on in my office. I can't think of any reason for a manager to expect any less.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you for letting me know that you don't appreciate being called an optician. I had no idea that the latter was such a bad term. A simple "welcome to the group" and "yes you're right, you don't know anything" would have been nicer. I'm trying to learn and understand your profession. Should I expect this kind of treatment of all licensed eye care professionals in this group?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is not the professional title, which I am quite proud of that was the issue. It is the possessive..... "your" Optician that is not correct use if that title. Opticians are licensed professionals in your state. If you are disrespectful to this profession, you can look forward to it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome, Reinivee!

You don't need to apologize for expecting a hire to be adaptable to your needs. You're the one signing paychecks, after all.

The truth of what your optician really needs to be doing depends on the size and volume of your new practice, as well as the breadth of skills and ambition in your staffing choice. If you're just starting from scratch and can't yet afford entry level support staff, then your optician will necessarilly be wearing several hats. Just realize when volume exceeds the optician's ability to spin all the plates at a 99% success rate, their brain power is best focused on their specialized skills since the clerical stuff can be taught to a more generalized HR pool. The industry average of an OD practice is roughly 1 FT (non-doctor) employee per ~$137k of gross revenue. (Independent optical numbers will vary from this, I'm sure.) I look to PT staffing options to help keep the ratio close & the service production line from getting too jammed up. Profit is great, but not at the expense of patient satisfaction & retention. (...and as more labor dollars are justified you know if your Part Timer is worth an expanded role or not.)

I would also advise budgeting liberally for your staff's training and continuing ed.--important key to developing your brand of quality that I've seen lead to great success. Keep these education expenses in your 'labor' budget and expect an appropriate return to your bottom line--choose these avenues carefully. A hire that brings education to his resume should be considered an offset to this cost and regarded appropriately--but either way don't let your organization be doing without some visible benchmarks of staff competence.

Very best of luck to you!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Renivee, we are often a fractious group, so a relatively thick skin is required.

You're a new manager and it seems one who has no optical background.

There is a significant difference between a Washington State Licensed Optician and a frame stylist. What we do as licensed professionals requires formal education or extensive apprenticeship hours. If you are just learning, I suggest you contact the licensing board for official requirements or your state Opticians Association.

I don't think there is an exact formula for exams/inventory, at least not in my experience.

Insurance has become so convoluted that my suggestion is to have someone who handles that paperwork separately.

If you are unsure of how to proceed, find a good consultant to get you started. I would recommend either Robert Bell of The Visionaries Group (robert@the.vg) or Pam Fritz of Ophthalmology Resources (pfmdresources@sbcglobal.net) The services of either of these experts is well worth the money spent.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Renivee View Post
    Hello I'm completely new to the optical business. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me based on the number of exams we do a year if there is a set number or formula for how many frames we should carry and an average for capture rate for glasses. Also what are the responsibilities of the licensed dispensing optician? Does the optician only sell? Is he/she supposed to bill insurance, keep track of who has purchased and picked up their glasses understand insurances? I'm not sure what to expect of my optician. Is there a whole lot of difference in expectation for someone who is licensed versus someone who is a frame stylist? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    The duties of what an LDO can perform are spelled out In WA DOH codes. Anyone dispensing Rx Eyewear and Contacts needs to be licensed and registered by WA DOH. As to the job requirement at your office/Clinic that depends on the skill set of each member of the office team. The amount of frames that carry depend on how many doctors you have, excepted insurances, the space your frames are displayed in, the manner in which you display your frames, the clientele you are trying to appeal to, and the money the primary financial investor is willing to shell out. It sounds to me that you are asking for a business plan and and there are too many variables that are omitted from your opening thread to give you much of what you are asking for.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Paul hit the nail on the head with frame count. I'd also add consideration of local competition of your dispensary type. I have heard someone once say 3-turns per year, but that is just a general guideline someone was throwing out to answer this all too commonly asked question. If you get an expert how throws a number at you like that w/o other considerations, you might consider a different expert. Its not an easy question with an easy answer. Another way to look is how fast is your inventory typically depleted vs. how fast you can restock vs. a pt. walking in on the day you are cleaned out. Will that be enough selection for them to stick around?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome Renivee!

As Paul mentioned, a lot of the answers you are seeking are tied into your business plan. I have worked in offices where the optician handles it all, from sales to insurance and reconciliation, and others where duties are specialized. I have some brilliant opticians who can handle anything and everything but the insurance, and others who did better with spreadsheets than people. What you need depends upon how you want to define the practice and your patients.

As for statistics, there are a fair amount that get tossed around on various trade groups, in assorted trade journals/magazines, and by various industry experts. One site I like to reference is the Management and Business Academy for Eye Care Professionals. There are many presentations/papers on specific areas. While I don't follow all their advice in part or parcel, it does give me thoughts to ponder. An example of this is turn rate. I have many frames that I only see a 1-2 turn on, but I know I have specific patients who want the product, and refer others to me for it. I have other frames that I turn 3 times a week, but I still keep a limited selection because they are for low pay plans. I don't use a formula for mark ups.

Several of the trade organizations, such as OD Excellence, Vision Source, and the AOA offer classes geared towards dispensary/practice management. It might be a good idea to get some education under your belt. Optometry is a blend of both medical and retail professions. If you don't get the nuances down, and understand how the assorted insurances work, billing best practices, and the like then you can find yourself drowning quickly.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate all the info. I think I agree and for some reason I hadn't thought about the fact that each practice does it differently. But that makes perfect sense, it depends on the culture of the practice. Our optical has only room to grow, and I want to make sure I understand the business better so we can plan to make it better.
    Last edited by Renivee; 12-01-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Check out some tools on our website: www.walman.com They are free and you can watch the videos as many times as you need RENIVEE!!!! NO JUDGING and WELCOME to the amazing world of Optical. SO much to learn and you will never be bored. Your comment about "your optician" is not out of line when thought of how people talk about "their staff" "their office" "their Dr." ... SO... no worries. :) Welcome!!! :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work with Pam Fritz with accounts and am amazed at her abilities! I endorse her!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome aboard Renivee!!!! I have another sugestion as well. Why not look into apprenticing and becoming an Optician as well. It will increase your understanding of the business you are trying to comprehend. Just a thought, never hurts to educate yourself further. I almost forgot, Good luck in your new venture. I wish you great success.
    Last edited by EyeCare Rich; 12-03-2014 at 12:06 PM. Reason: additional info

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Welcome to the site and to the world of optics!
    I'd say talk with the Optician and get what you can from what they have learned in the industry. They should be a great resource for you for most things.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome to the forum Renivee, one question? have you put together a business plan? researchs shows that businesses have a higher tendancy to fail without a business plan, I would strongly suggest you write one, and keep it updated as trends and the industry changes. I wish you all the best with your new business and hope that success meets you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Hello Renivee, I also live in Redmond WA... welcome to Optiboard. Sorry for the harsh welcome, but there has been a history of people dismissing the skills of an Optician... These are actually good questions and I came into optical with no dispensing experience as a business manager...

I wanted to know if anyone can tell me based on the number of exams we do a year if there is a set number or formula for how many frames we should carry
    A better number is basing the number of inventory based on the number you actually sell, if its an established practice. You want a turn of 2.5 or more, so if you have 1000 frames you should be selling 2500 per year, etc. Newer practices and high premium practices can tolerate lower turn ratios. But you need at least 400 frames to have a decent selection of styles and colors to have a base.

average for capture rate for glasses.
    National average in Optical is around 40% of routine exams, however, 90% in this area is very common.

Also what are the responsibilities of the licensed dispensing optician? Does the optician only sell? Is he/she supposed to bill insurance, keep track of who has purchased and picked up their glasses understand insurances? I'm not sure what to expect of my optician. Is there a whole lot of difference in expectation for someone who is licensed versus someone who is a frame stylist? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    It depends on how established, big or fast growing your practice is. The larger practices are more specialized, but its generally better if someone else is doing the billing. There is a military term called "task saturation" since Opticians have one of the most diverse skill sets of any industry, the more you can take off their plate the better they will sell and serve, task saturation sets in quickly. Most skilled opticians have done every role in the practice, you best bet is to keep them where they can have the best influence on the bottom line with frames and lenses. Don't let your opticians be billers or receptionists if you can support it, they will be much more efficient.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nana G ABOC
    Walman 100% Employee Owned
    www.walman.com

Thread Information