Thread: How to file a complaint about breach of ANSI tolerance? Forced Bino PD for lined MF

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

How to file a complaint about breach of ANSI tolerance? Forced Bino PD for lined MF

I was wondering if anyone has filed a complaint about a ANSI tolerances of not being followed. The ANSI website has no where to file a complaint so I am thinking FDA?
    The problem:
    When I specify a monocular PD for a bifocal or Trifocal, The computer system forces me place a binocular measurement even though I get a PD like 31 and 35 with a +5.00 RX, so they split it to 33 OU . I call the lab and of course they have no idea that the system accepts only binocular PDs and tell me a story that it induces prism. It will induce prism if does not change to monocular. I do lack training in the lab so I am not sure. I drew the layout on paper and with a 65mm blank size, I feel it works.

A=52 B=37 16 DBL I do not know that blank size of the lenses that are available, but I assume 65 or 72?
    PD OD 31 OS 35

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Dial 911.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    ANSI is just a standardized recommendation that we as an industry follow.

For bifocals/trifocals I was always taught to use the binocular near PD for the segs, and Mono PD/height for the OC's

If you do not supply both to the lab, most will take the binocular far PD, subtract 3mm, then use that.

Or they might just do what they did for you, and use the FPD, even though it's technically incorrect.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Oculista Carioca View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has filed a complaint about a ANSI tolerances of not being followed. The ANSI website has no where to file a complaint so I am thinking FDA?
    The problem:
    When I specify a monocular PD for a bifocal or Trifocal, The computer system forces me place a binocular measurement even though I get a PD like 31 and 35 with a +5.00 RX, so they split it to 33 OU . I call the lab and of course they have no idea that the system accepts only binocular PDs and tell me a story that it induces prism. It will induce prism if does not change to monocular. I do lack training in the lab so I am not sure. I drew the layout on paper and with a 65mm blank size, I feel it works.

A=52 B=37 16 DBL I do not know that blank size of the lenses that are available, but I assume 65 or 72?
    PD OD 31 OS 35

Complain about what, precisely? The computer program is wrong? That's the vendor's fault, not ANSI nor the FDA. I suggest you find another lab that will provide you the software you need to order the lenses you need, or, perhaps even better, call the script into the lab, talking to a trained person who will dictate the Rx back to you precisely as ordered.

ANSI is a standards organization, they don't enforce the standards (and in our industry, the standards are voluntary. The FDA would never get interested because there is not bodily harm at risk here.

The ball is in your hands, to either accept what the lab offers or find a lab that will provide you with what you need.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Oculista Carioca View Post
    The problem:

PD OD 31 OS 35

No need to draw on paper. Down and dirty method
    Add A +DBL/2. 52+16=68/2=34
    Subtract smallest mono PD. 34-31=3
    Double it and add to A. 6+52=58 Which is the minimum blank size needed.
    Hard to believe any current lab software would not allow mono pd's

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gilman View Post
    No need to draw on paper. Down and dirty method
    Add A +DBL/2. 52+16=68/2=34
    Subtract smallest mono PD. 34-31=3
    Double it and add to A. 6+52=58 Which is the minimum blank size needed.
    Hard to believe any current lab software would not allow mono pd's
    You actually need to know the ED to find the minimum blank size.

Unless the eye shape is a perfect circle, then the A=ED.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I dialed 911, and they were not helpful. Something about this is not an emergency.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Thanks for the the thoughts. I thought the ANSI had power and is not just a set of recommendations.

MikeAurelius thank you for your words and straight to the point logic. I am working at a corporate chain where I am the bottom of the company so my recommendations on choosing a lab will go unheard. The thought was to complain how the company sets itself to cause incorrect eyeglass orders I suppose.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    ANSI is just a standardized recommendation that we as an industry follow.

For bifocals/trifocals I was always taught to use the binocular near PD for the segs, and Mono PD/height for the OC's

If you do not supply both to the lab, most will take the binocular far PD, subtract 3mm, then use that. Or they might just do what they did for you, and use the FPD, even though it's technically incorrect.
    I was taught the same way. I do adjust the near PD from time to time as I look at their previous frame and see if it makes sense if they have an unusual monocular distance PD.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Don Gilman and ml43
    That equation does look familiar. I suppose I am more of a visual person.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oculista Carioca,

I'm guessing you work for a large optical retailer (WM) because I remember having the same issue with the computer program when I worked there. I have heard that some states have adopted ANSI standards as part of their opticianry law, but for most states, ANSI is simply a recommendation and is completely voluntary. In some cases, I'm glad it's voluntary because it all boils down to whether or not the patient can see well out of the glasses without complications. The only way to get the issue resolved is by getting a lab manager to agree to help you along with upper management's approval and then tech support can then start working on the software glitch. The lab software is not the problem, it's the retail software that has the issue.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) is a private non-profit organization. They are not a government agency, and they're standards are only guidelines, not laws.

I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that the US government has adopted ANSI standards for products that they purchase, i.e. if you're going to sell something to the government, or government agency, the product must meet ANSI standards.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Cosmetic appearance says the PD must be binocular. Who cares if the patient can't see.

Remember "It is better to look good than to feel good"
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always monocular PD. Calculate with VD, fixation distance/add power. Anything else is plain stupid.

B

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Place an order for the Right eye HANG UP.
    Place an order for the left eye HANG UP.

Don't do something dumb like mention it's the same job.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I am loving all these responses! HAHA
    Remember "It is better to look good than to feel good"
    Place an order for the Right eye HANG UP.
    Place an order for the left eye HANG UP.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I think New Jersey is the only state with effective lens power standards... generally, the only enforcement is the customer leaving the business.

Thread Information