Thread: We better know our stuff...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

We better know our stuff...

http://www.askforevidence.org/articl...-investigation

Following up on a previous post about demystifying healthcare and the way opticians explain things, the general public IMO is getting wiser and more educated it's refreshing.

Occupation
    When you're un-educated, selling through fear is the easiest technique.

It's disgusting.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I generally don't agree that the public is getting wiser. I think that some individuals are getting more educated about their insurance and health because they have to, but I've found the general public enjoys being in the dark about their healthcare. I only use the word enjoy because if they didn't enjoy it, you'd think they'd do something about it.

As far as telling a patient their eyes are going to get worse for not wearing the most updated prescription, well that is just ignorant. It doesn't take a smart person to ask 'why?', and when we, as opticians, cannot give a good reason, most people will see red flags. I, myself, probably like everyone else, got my start in one of these box stores. I had little training and no idea about optics, but on my second week was told that I was now the expert. So when it came to selling, i was great, but if a patient asked me a question like that, I would find myself utterly stumped. Only because of the lack of training I had been through. Back then I thought it was a great training program. 10 years later, I know it was not that case. These box stores do this to themselves, they want good salesmen (or women), to push their product, but don't give them the education to fully engage and understand their job.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Strong arm selling techniques probably work for many patients. Why do so many people, in general, make such claims when they obviously have no evidence to support it ? It's not that hard to disprove claims like this.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unfortunately this is the norm in this country. There is no requirement beyond a pulse to be an Optician in 27 states and ill-prepared people are making recommendations like this daily. Even in some licensed states, I have witnessed some real questionable advice offered as I visit optical offices around the country in my travels. But in reality, what else can we expect? The corporate organizations typically pressure these "salespeople" with quotas, so what else can be expected? For some time, it appeared that some of these organizations were requiring at least the ABO.......which is minimal at best, but that was only a few. To the rest, Opticians are just labor, and not considered professionals. I am pleased to see Vision Express at least indicate in this communication to the individual complaining that they will investigate, whatever that means. I wonder if corrective action will be taken, and what that might be?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Cautious about an "educated public". Does 10 miutes on the internet reading commercials make anyone an expert? Is there anything more terrifying than someone coming through the door with a manilla folder containing the first 10 pages of a lens maufacturer's website? They googled "progressives" yesterday and now they know more than 20, 30, 40 year practicing opticians? I'm not buying it. Especially now when freeform digital has opened up so many different designs and specialized products. I even believe this could be the break opticianry needs to differenciate itself from non-professional competition. Can Coastal suggest a shorter design for heavy readers? Take panoramic angle measurements for a wrap sunglass? Will the teenager at a big box retailer who was in algebra class an hour ago understand that you should adjust seg heights for posture? This is opportunity - not a funeral. If you can fix it - they will come.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think this is great. I don't mind a patient coming in with a folder of information--even if I have to correct some headstrong misunderstandings about what they think they read and drill through some misplaced cynicism, what a fabulous opportunity to earn a relationship of trust. A patient coming in with some preparation on a big purchase helps them see past showbiz and see who's for real and who's not, and that helps the good guys shine. It puts pressure on that corporate culture to do a better job of technical and ethical education. Puts pressure on all of us that we should already be putting on ourselves anyway.

I like that this blurb gave credit to the corp for responding correctly. It's a measured take that gets the job done.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All this angst over what clearly is WRONG info given to a client?

B

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I simply tell them...well if its on tv, or on the web, it MUST BE TRUE!!

like the crizal guy, getting into his car, from out of a blinding rainstorm...and his lenses are bone dry

or the night vision glasses that change everyones life!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    http://www.askforevidence.org/articl...-investigation

Following up on a previous post about demystifying healthcare and the way opticians explain things, the general public IMO is getting wiser and more educated it's refreshing.
    There is no demystifying healthcare IMHO, the language of most contracts is written in Legalese within a circuitous context of clauses and sub clauses that baffle even the most above average mind. We that take insurances uses words and phrases like deductibles, copay's, not within the context of, and your benefits fall outside of the parameters of your particular policy. How much do we really know about our patients insurance policies. Basically we know what the service reps tell us and we in turn regurgitate it back to our patients with an air of authority. In my reality, I am no real authority on insurance, that is not what I went to school to become. I have enough to deal with in my day and do not wish to add another complexity to it. As to the article written, most of us here see the results of places like these. Where the sales associate uses words and phrases within the context of corporate employee handouts that they regurgitate to their clients with an air of authority, in a profession they never went to school for. In conclusion it is nice to know that, Vision Express, will dole out training as a punishment; if required.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    I think this is great. I don't mind a patient coming in with a folder of information--even if I have to correct some headstrong misunderstandings about what they think they read and drill through some misplaced cynicism, what a fabulous opportunity to earn a relationship of trust. A patient coming in with some preparation on a big purchase helps them see past showbiz and see who's for real and who's not, and that helps the good guys shine. It puts pressure on that corporate culture to do a better job of technical and ethical education. Puts pressure on all of us that we should already be putting on ourselves anyway.

I like that this blurb gave credit to the corp for responding correctly. It's a measured take that gets the job done.
    Great view on it, I like to think we are capable of meeting expectations.

Thread Information