Thread: Allergies to specific Tints?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Allergies to specific Tints?

i have a patient who brought her lenses back in saying shes allergic to the brown tint, and wants it changed to rose. ive never heard of such a thing but i suppose it could be true. anyone have experience with this and any advice on how to proceed?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    people have been allergic to weirder stuff so I can believe it.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like it raises her histamine levels allergic? Or it makes her see things weird?

An organic replacement for brown dye is coffee :) Works

Occupation
    idk im getting this secondhand. symptom unknown i would imagine breaking out her cheekbones beause this is a rimless design with a very large B measurement.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmm I guess I could see it

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Allergic to the tint of the lens - as in the actual color? Sounds dubious at best. Allergic to a chemical compound in the lens or frame? More plausible...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Allergic to the tint of the lens - as in the actual color? Sounds dubious at best. Allergic to a chemical compound in the lens or frame? More plausible...
    that was my thought too.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux3r View Post
    idk im getting this secondhand. symptom unknown i would imagine breaking out her cheekbones beause this is a rimless design with a very large B measurement.
    "very large B measurement." "cheekbones" "rimless design" one would think the lens has a very poor pin bevel on it. That would be the first area I would look at.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    "very large B measurement." "cheekbones" "rimless design" one would think the lens has a very poor pin bevel on it. That would be the first area I would look at.
    If her cheeks are bleeding, we have a winner - right?! ;

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i had a lady who had a reaction to a certin brand of AR. it wasnt ar in general, just thus one brand , odd but true.
    Paul:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper All mixed colors are made with a mix of red - blue and yellow .......................

i have a patient who brought her lenses back in saying shes allergic to the brown tint, and wants it changed to rose. ive never heard of such a thing but i suppose it could be true. anyone have experience with this and any advice on how to proceed?
    All mixed colors are made with a mix of red - blue and yellow, just in different proportions between them. So if patient is allergic to brown, she will also be allergic to pink. See on graph below.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If her cheeks are bleeding, we have a winner - right?! ;
    Negative Uilleann. (refrain from the sarcasm please)That would be called abrasions and someone would need to be taken behind the woodshed.
    Take a razor blade and scrape it up and down on your cheek a bit and see if you cant create "chafing" similar to a allergic reaction to nickle or far as pt is concerned, tint. Pt does not know if its being caused by lens edge or color of the lens. But we know the difference.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

She's a Winter...

Remeber when this was HUGE???

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Negative Uilleann. (refrain from the sarcasm please)That would be called abrasions and someone would need to be taken behind the woodshed.
    Take a razor blade and scrape it up and down on your cheek a bit and see if you cant create "chafing" similar to a allergic reaction to nickle or far as pt is concerned, tint. Pt does not know if its being caused by lens edge or color of the lens. But we know the difference.
    Oh come on - lighten up. We've all seen and heard much silliness in our decades behind the dispensing desk, and a bit of tongue in cheek never hurt anyone. Still, If you can possibly find any way to show a direct correlation to the actual color of the tint (not the chemicals it's made from), and an allergic reaction, I think you can retire a wealthy man!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think the patient would freak out a little bit if I took out a razor blade and started scraping up and down my check a bit to see if I could create "chafing". Im sure my co-workers wouldn't be surprised I do all sorts of crazy stuff here.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper how one could get to retire a wealthy man ...........................

Still, If you can possibly find any way to show a direct correlation to the actual color of the tint (not the chemicals it's made from), and an allergic reaction, I think you can retire a wealthy man!
    ............while fully agreeing with the first part of above statement I would like to understand how one could get to retire a wealthy man.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    allergy - not likely at all as they just change physical characteristics of transduction of light to signal ratios - but it is very common to have physical problems due to visual stimulus (including tints). For instance body Ph may vary (easily measured), arousal levels can change, synesthetic effects possible, timing modifications may be unpleasant. Dorsal stream and magnocellular effects are often seen. Cognitive changes can be catastrophic. Yes, giving the wrong tint can cause problems, and it is a pity that the range of effects are generally not known about by optical professionals.

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Been doing this for over 30 years...the meter is pinging and the problem is 2 inches below the crown of the head.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by peyes View Post
    Been doing this for over 30 years...the meter is pinging and the problem is 2 inches below the crown of the head.
    My money is on buyers remorse...Unless the reaction persists-Then it's a wrong assumption on the patients part.

Thread Information