Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken Frames

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Broken Frames

How many frames in your career have you said you've broken?

So far I've broken 2. *knocks on wood*

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lol. We can tell you just started.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yep. lol 8 months or so. I've been learning a lot here on the message board.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper If your career has lasted 50 years it could be a record few ...................

Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post

If your career has lasted 50 years it could be a record few,...........and if you are at it for a week it could be record many.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's see, it takes roughly 10,000 hours of practice to master something, so id say im just "pretty good" at breaking frames. My lab manager, however, seems to be an expert.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have broken my share over the years. The most memorable one was when I was demonstrating how wonderful an autoflex frame was to a potential buyer, it snapped right in the middle of the bridge! They chose something else, that was years ago and she reminds me of it every now and then.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think I have broken an exceptionally high number of frames, but, I have broken two in one day, ....for the same patient. Luckily it was my uncle, so he was a little more forgiving than another patient might be.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I honestly do not know how many for me. But the most memorable time was when a pt handed me their broken frame telling me that they "have no idea how it happened." I am thinking ya right what ever but I will play the game with you. I will do what ever needed to take care of your glasses.
    We walked from one side of the room to the other side maybe 20 steps, I am carrying the broken glasses in my hand, sat them down on the desk and they had broke in two more solder points as I was carrying them.
    Lesson learned here is that yes, sometimes they have no idea what happened.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think I have broken too many over the years, but I know I have become more thick skinned about it. The first time I nearly cried and the lady was very nice about it. Now it just a fact. I do what I can with the frame and if it breaks I have done my best.
    Last edited by kemmer59; 11-19-2014 at 11:58 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    broke 3, melted 2, and shattered 1.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CME4SPECS View Post
    I have broken my share over the years. The most memorable one was when I was demonstrating how wonderful an autoflex frame was to a potential buyer, it snapped right in the middle of the bridge! They chose something else, that was years ago and she reminds me of it every now and then.
    every time i show an autoflex or flexon I am scared that what happened to you will happen to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was embarrassing, but I was able to laugh it off, and poke fun at myself.
    every time i show an autoflex or flexon I am scared that what happened to you will happen to me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can honestly say that I have never broken a single frame in all my years of dispensing. I have had frames of poor construction break while working on them and I have had many a frame split on me; which I attribute to cell division. I have handed back a case with their frame inside and upon opening the case the frame had mysteriously found itself in several pieces, all of which were not my fault.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never broken a single frame in all my years of dispensing. I have had frames of poor construction break while working on them and I have had many a frame split on me; which I attribute to cell division. I have handed back a case with their frame inside and upon opening the case the frame had mysteriously found itself in several pieces, all of which were not my fault.
    lol. Sounds to me like you are trying to "Opt" out of a occupational hazard that comes with the chosen career sir. Sorry. Does not work that way.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    About once a year, with a new frame at dispense, the nose pad arm breaks off at the weld. Such a sinking feeling. However, I'd rather have the defect show up when brand new, in my office, instead of two months later when they're vacationing in China.

Hint: Before adjusting a frame, check for weakness at and away from the weld points by bending slightly to gauge joint strength and the presence of metal fatigue. Stop immediately if the resistance to bending is slight to non-existent. Warn the client that the frame is ready to break, and handle carefully. Inquire about the status of their spare pair.

Hint: Don't bend or stress the end pieces, pad arms, and bridge weld/braze points on an old, damaged, or severely bent frame, especially an outside frame. Instead, work the metal between the temple cover and behind the temple mounting, the loop (if applicable) in the pad arm (carefully), and the center zone of the bridge. Tell the client that you have no choice but to improperly align the frame, only to reduce the risk of more damage or breakage.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    that would be breaking a frame in my mind...of course it's not your fault! That would include that little crack at the temple bend on and old zyl that wasn't heated quite enough...you know the one you never told anyone about. Maybe we should rephrase to have broken while in our possession.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    lol. Sounds to me like you are trying to "Opt" out of a occupational hazard that comes with the chosen career sir. Sorry. Does not work that way.
    No Sir, absolutely not. I am resolved in the belief that I am perfect and that I am surrounded by chaos and imperfection.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No Sir, absolutely not. I am resolved in the belief that I am perfect and that I am surrounded by chaos and imperfection.
    I coming to Seattle, forget a masters class Paul's got magic.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You sound like some of the MD's I've worked with over the years!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy View Post
    You sound like some of the MD's I've worked with over the years!
    Thank You, as a reasonable human being I am encouraged that others in our profession have/will take the same road and defer blame elsewhere.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Had a woman come in with a missing temple screw held on by some weird wire thing. Without thinking I clipped the wire. As it snapped, I realized what it was: her pierced earring. Fortunately it was costume jewelry and she actually thought it was funny that I was upset.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I've had a few, but, one of the "breaks" occurred in my early years in the industry. A town south of here has civil war days every year. A man brought in a pair of authentic civil war glasses for me to adjust. They were sitting on his face a little lopsided and so I took the frame and heated it and moved a temple to adjust it and IT BROKE. The glasses, if I remember correctly, were made of a 12 karat gold alloy. CRAPOLA!!!! I enlisted the help of another optician that I knew that had been in the industry for awhile and he told me about a place in, I believe, Minnesota that was good at soldering and so I called and they said they would take a look at it. I sent them up and they were able to repair them but it COST! Doc paid for it but from then on, I ALWAYS tell the patient that, if the frame is not under warranty, that I will be very careful but if the frame breaks, I can't be held responsible.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Probably 5 frames in 12 years. I always feel bad, but some of these frames are in terrible condition.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geez you guys must be very dainty and delicate. My gorilla mitts have destroyed 2-3 DOZEN over 15 years. Most of the time during lab work before getting to the patient, so THEY don't know. Flexon, toast. Titanium/stainless steel, Hah! I trash thee! Aluminum... well, that stuffs damn hard, haven't been lucky enough to add that to my kill list. I should really put notches in my ABO certificate, let all my customers know how intimately experienced I am with all the frame materials.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    Geez you guys must be very dainty and delicate. My gorilla mitts have destroyed 2-3 DOZEN over 15 years. Most of the time during lab work before getting to the patient, so THEY don't know. Flexon, toast. Titanium/stainless steel, Hah! I trash thee! Aluminum... well, that stuffs damn hard, haven't been lucky enough to add that to my kill list. I should really put notches in my ABO certificate, let all my customers know how intimately experienced I am with all the frame materials.
    Dan your a damn big ape, maybe a silver back. As a member of the former group heed my advice and remember, it's not your fault. These manufactures are producing the shoddy product that practically falls apart if you look at it hard or utter a vulgarity at them. These frames are obviously afraid of you and your gorilla sized mitts. I prefer to hang the tire iron that I bent into a pretzel shape on the wall, next to my photo of King Kong in lieu of my diploma.

Thread Information