Thread: A new Idea by Rodenstock ..................................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper A new Idea by Rodenstock ..................................

LATEST

Rodenstock Global Protection Service

Rodenstock presented to its eye care professionals the new GPS service for replacing lenses that have been broken, stolen or lost

Since November 2014 all Rodenstock's optometrist partners will be able to offer consumers a service that gives the purchase of ophthalmic lenses more protection. The Global Protection Service (GPS) is a new development for the German company and one that confirms the promise of concrete support and enhancement for its optometrist partners as the first people to be consulted for vision wellbeing. This new Rodenstock service includes two-year coverage that will replace lenses (with ½ diopter tolerance) that have been broken, stolen or lost. An additional service that the consumer can activate on request when ordering, without any need for further registration. Rodenstock Global Protection Service is invaluable for helping sales by eye care professionals because in addition to expertise and consultancy, they can give their customers maximum peace of mind when using their optical lenses every day. Consumer confidence will increase as the optician will be seen as a competent and reliable professional. Rodenstock will provide all participating opticians with dedicated material to display inside the outlet and give to consumers in the interests of complete transparency and correctness.

What do you say ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if they added actual GPS to their product,that would be fantabulous!this is just another marketing ploy.yawn

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyguy View Post
    if they added actual GPS to their product,that would be fantabulous!this is just another marketing ploy.yawn
    Exactly. Their sales are hurting big time, so rather than try and remain focused on growing their core business, they are venturing out into a lack lustre gray area.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Exactly. Their sales are hurting big time, so rather than try and remain focused on growing their core business, they are venturing out into a lack lustre gray area.
    Are their lens sales hurting or their frame sales hurting or both?Just curious...

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Are their lens sales hurting or their frame sales hurting or both?Just curious...
    Up here in Canada, they stopped selling frames a few years ago. They only really sell lens blanks up here now a days and to the best of my knowledge don't even have a lab manufacturing facility. Most of their work is done in their U.S. And Germany locations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post

What do you say ?
    It's Rodenstock; no one cares.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper It's Rodenstock; no one cares....................................

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post

Leading in the world of vision
    Rodenstock is Germany's leading manufacturer of ophthalmic lenses and spectacles frames. The company, which was founded in 1877, is based in Munich and has a worldwide workforce of approximately 4,300 and is represented in more than 80 countries with sales subsidiaries and distribution partners. Rodenstock maintains production sites for ophthalmic lenses at a total of 14 locations in 12 countries.

The competence for both ophthalmic lenses as well as for frames makes Rodenstock into a unique brand in ophthalmic optics because it can offer spectacles wearers the complete ”spectacles” system from a single source.

At the heart of all activities is optimisation of the optical reproduction properties, increasing the wearing comfort and providing a design that highlights the personality of the spectacles wearer. In other words, improving the vision and the look.

http://www.rodenstock.com/rodb2c/com...k/History.html

------------------------------------------------------

Funny that we hear comments like the above. Rodenstock has always been on th side of optical retailers since the late 1800's, not like the other and well admired corporation that exists only since the mid 1950's and is today one of the fiercest suppliers and as well as competitors to the conventional optical retail.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    . Consumer confidence will increase as the optician will be seen as a competent and reliable professional.

What do you say ?
    [/QUOTE]

If I'm not doing that now - I'll go to work for Warby Parker. Thanks Rodenstock.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Would have been interesting to get some more details ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by Jason H View Post

If I'm not doing that now - I'll go to work for Warby Parker. Thanks Rodenstock.

Would have been interesting to get some more details on your post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    LATEST

Rodenstock Global Protection Service

Rodenstock presented to its eye care professionals the new GPS service for replacing lenses that have been broken, stolen or lost

Since November 2014 all Rodenstock's optometrist partners will be able to offer consumers a service that gives the purchase of ophthalmic lenses more protection. The Global Protection Service (GPS) is a new development for the German company and one that confirms the promise of concrete support and enhancement for its optometrist partners as the first people to be consulted for vision wellbeing. This new Rodenstock service includes two-year coverage that will replace lenses (with ½ diopter tolerance) that have been broken, stolen or lost. An additional service that the consumer can activate on request when ordering, without any need for further registration. Rodenstock Global Protection Service is invaluable for helping sales by eye care professionals because in addition to expertise and consultancy, they can give their customers maximum peace of mind when using their optical lenses every day. Consumer confidence will increase as the optician will be seen as a competent and reliable professional. Rodenstock will provide all participating opticians with dedicated material to display inside the outlet and give to consumers in the interests of complete transparency and correctness.

What do you say ?
    Too bad that Rodenstock, has to refer to gimmickry. I dislike the notion that the consumer is void of all responsibility of their items. I used to sell the heck out of Rodenstock frames and lenses, back in the day the Multigressive was the cure all for most PAL and FT non adapts and a great PAL in general. They made some huge marketing mistakes, one of them combining the frame and lens rep. Time will tell if they can weather the storm and make an impact in the N. American market and who their suitors will be.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curious..... could you elaborate more on why you think combining the frame and lens rep was a huge marketing mistake? Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Curious..... could you elaborate more on why you think combining the frame and lens rep was a huge marketing mistake? Thanks
    Most frame reps that I have met with over the years know very little about the product they carry, I can count on one hand the frame reps who can provide me with the information that I require. Most lens reps can provide me with some of the more technical information but usually have to get back with me. How in the world they(Rodenstock) thought that their frame reps could provide that specific technical information circumvents conventional logic. I can think of one company that was able to unit two ideas successfully, Nestle's peanut butter cup, pure genius.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Most frame reps that I have met with over the years know very little about the product they carry, I can count on one hand the frame reps who can provide me with the information that I require. Most lens reps can provide me with some of the more technical information but usually have to get back with me. How in the world they(Rodenstock) thought that their frame reps could provide that specific technical information circumvents conventional logic. I can think of one company that was able to unit two ideas successfully, Nestle's peanut butter cup, pure genius.
    We should put the peanut butter inside of the chocolate - BRILLIANT !!

one of the best inventions of the 20th century (after air conditioning, of course).

i didn't think rodenstock had any offerings in North America anymore.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The vertical integration and consolidation of labs and the arrival of independent Click-fee FF designs (ex: IOT), may just prevent Rod from gaining any traction in the US.
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 11-16-2014 at 08:45 AM.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Occupation

Redhot Jumper It's Rodenstock; no one cares.

Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post

Actually you should go on the Canadian Forum for today's news on Rodenstock distribution this side if the Atlantic, and continue watching it. looks like there is more going to happen in the near future.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Up here in Canada, they stopped selling frames a few years ago. They only really sell lens blanks up here now a days and to the best of my knowledge don't even have a lab manufacturing facility. Most of their work is done in their U.S. And Germany locations.
    Actually Hindsight they have started to sell frames in Canada. At Vision Canada in November they had a booth manned by John Kraemer who used to be with Lux.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Aren't Digital Eyelab's own branded designs Rodenstock?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Despite Rodenstock's history of making poor business choices, their technology was amazing and WAY ahead of its time. There are some companies that have not yet made a lens as good as the Multigressiv was in 2002...

The frame issue was aggravated because their distributor was making and importing "Rodenstock" branded frames behind their back, there were so many fakes that I still don't think they have sold them all.

Although having a frame and lens rep on the same line a challenge, my Rodenstock rep was top notch. From a business perspective it enablses a small company to run more reps than they would other wise.

Georg Mayer from Rodenstock used to be on here frequently.

Instead of thinking of this as a gimmick, think of it as one way to make your patient happier that won't cost you a thing?

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post

Despite Rodenstock's history of making poor business choices, their technology was amazing and WAY ahead of its time. There are some companies that have not yet made a lens as good as the Multigressiv was in 2002...

Georg Mayer from Rodenstock used to be on here frequently.

Instead of thinking of this as a gimmick, think of it as one way to make your patient happier that won't cost you a thing?

Good post, but I feel that all this is changing for for more action. We all learn from our mistakes and the world goes on anyhow.

So we better make these changes for the better. Just wait for the next interesting news on that subject.

Also check the Canadian Forum on this subject.

Thread Information