Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wholesale- Never a duh moment

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Now, if you agreed to no warranties, what change in price would you expect? The redo amount for my accounts in Oct is about 10% for reference.
    That would probably depend on volume. What would you say is a fair discount for an account that is final sale, non-insurance work doing 250-300k a year with a lab?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, this is the first such discussion I've ever had. I'll have to give it a little thought.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The first question that comes to mind is what the full list price is for the work? As we all know, list prices can vary from lab to lab and from vendor to vendor. So before we begin any negotiations, are we on a level playing field? Too many people look at the discount percentage without looking at the starting price. That can make a huge difference.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My office had been using a certain "E" lab for years. Low price. They made MANY mistakes. Crooked segs, lenses edged into a frame that wasn't ours, wrong RXs. Not good. The independent lab we switched to is great! Fast turn around time and great quality. Price is not much higher. Yes, higher, but not a huge difference. Another lab we use for eyemed jobs is associated with "E" but I'm told is not an "E" lab. They do excellent work too. Also great turn around time. Price is a lot higher. So much that we only use them for insurance work as needed. To me, quality is much more important than price. Price doesn't help you when your patients get mad at the quality and turn around time and decide they are not coming back! Not only was the "E" lab bad quality, but the rep is rude! My manager refuses to see her. Everytime she stops in the office she has to mention the independent lab by name and put them down. And since she's "E"... she goes so far to say, "I've never heard anything good about Zeiss lenses." Nice. And that is why we don't use you!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Wisdom To Start The Day .........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Oh my! What will those mega labs ever do without us?

The Mega Labs, many or most of them owned and operated by optical manufacturing corporations to promote their own products and lead the way to total or near total domination of the optical eyeglass industry.

In Europe very silently many smaller optical labs have disappeared and been replaced by very few of those Mega Labs.

North America is the testing ground for Mega Labs, what works here will work anywhere in the world.
    Some of the old lab supply companies are now scrambling to make a better
    entry into the retail optical market which they ignored for years.

Thread Information