Thread: At a loss about lost glasses

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused At a loss about lost glasses

Over the last few days I have had a rash of kids lossing their glasses. This leads to parents calling me to order them new glasses and they almost always assume the warranty they purchased covers this. I have to tell them I cannot replace lost or stolen glasses and the warranty covers everyday wear and tear. I always go over the warranty at time of purchase and remind them at pick up. I guess they forget everything when they leave though. I cannot think of a product with a warranty that covers you losing it. Does anybody offer a warranty for loss? I don't understand losing glasses anyway. I always had mine on my head so I could see. I busted a lot of glasses in my youth but I never lost a pair. Granted some of my younger patients are simply throwing them out of car windows though.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizikal View Post
    Over the last few days I have had a rash of kids lossing their glasses. This leads to parents calling me to order them new glasses and they almost always assume the warranty they purchased covers this. I have to tell them I cannot replace lost or stolen glasses and the warranty covers everyday wear and tear. I always go over the warranty at time of purchase and remind them at pick up. I guess they forget everything when they leave though. I cannot think of a product with a warranty that covers you losing it. Does anybody offer a warranty for loss? I don't understand losing glasses anyway. I always had mine on my head so I could see. I busted a lot of glasses in my youth but I never lost a pair. Granted some of my younger patients are simply throwing them out of car windows though.

Kids I understand losing glasses.

Parents asking for a replacement, I sort of get, kids are expensive and irresponsible, and it's never the parents fault ;)

I normally offer a discounted backup pair at the time of purchase to all minors.

But the worst is when grown adults, throw a little fit cause they loss their glasses, and feel entitled to a free replacement.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Just shake your head and say (truthfully) "No..no warranty ever covers loss. Never." (Use a teeny-tiny dash of derision, so they won't embarrass themselves any further by talking about it.)

Quickly, spring to the rescue with this: "I know kids lose their glasses. We get that all the time. Here's what we can do for you, since...

[Insert special circumstance, here. You can use:
    ...you are a loyal patient!" (yeah, right)
    ...your kid is at that 'active age'!" (he's a terror)
    ...you just bought those!" (eleven months ago)
    ...you don't have vision insurance!" (like that would help)
    ...Jadyn really needs to see at school!" (to play on his I-Pod)]

Then give them a hefty second pair discount because they don't have to go through all the services on a duplicate job.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Explain the warranty like a car warranty. If the motor falls out of the car going down the road, that's a warranty issue. If they crash it into a building, you don't get to go back to the dealership and demand a new one. Same if you lose it. This is a no-brainer. Insurance is a different animal, but even in cases of theft, a police report must be filed for insurance purposes.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    "Please stop by with your credit card and I will start cranking out a new pair and call you when they are ready. I will give you an itemized statement for your submission to your homeowners insurance carrier."

No need to get into a long discussion or get into a pissing contest with the customer. Just tell them what they must do to get little Johnny a new pair of glasses.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's probe value: If they lose the glasses, with all the bundled services paid for in your original asking price, don't you think it's a double charge if you ask full boat again?

1. Did you have to consult (again) on frame and lens choice?
    2. Do you feel it is appropriate to have them pay (again) for bundled services like adjustments, repairs, loose screws...etc.
    3. Did you have do to more or less work for this extra sale?
    4. Etc......

A reduced priced is appropriate. Put some pricing logic behind it, like a 25% to even 35% discount.

I think at least some of the reason that people "expect" a free replacement is that they're on the defensive about paying full boat for another pair. They feel they didn't even get their Rx use before the same "expired."

Clients intuitively know this. That's why paying full price for a replacement "doesn't seem right," even if they aren't good at articulating this sentiment.

My two cents.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 10-30-2014 at 04:08 PM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My regular warranty covers loss at 50% of current retail, exact frame and lenses. Generally I try to sell these kids a second pair at the same time as the lost redo.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always give them a nice discount on lost glasses, the discount depends on how long they've had them. Nothing that is written in stone for me, I just do what I feel will make them happy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lost glasses almost always show up unless you *saw* them getting lost (dropped overboard, ect). I will not start a remake without a non-refundable deposit. I've been burnt many a time in the past when a client has asked me to start a new pair only to find the lost pair 2 days later and wish to cancel the new order. ( I encourage them to look further prior to placing the replacement order and let them know up front why I won't refund.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see a lot of "thumbs up" with the suggestions in this thread.
    drk.......that was awesome. I liked it.
    rbaker has a great idea and Barry some valid points.
    ml43..........its always the parents fault. They brought the little heathen into the world

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    I see a lot of "thumbs up" with the suggestions in this thread.
    drk.......that was awesome. I liked it.
    rbaker has a great idea and Barry some valid points.
    ml43..........its always the parents fault. They brought the little heathen into the world
    haha, that was very lightly and politely implied :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    After explaining that no one warranties against loss, we will do a duplicate pair for 50% off retail within 6 months or 25% off retail within 12 months. IF you act nicely and realize that it is a COURTESY on our part.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a tremendous amount of empathy for children that loose their glasses. Yes I know there needs to be some responsibility taken on the part of the child and especially the parents when something so important is lost. Who suffers most of all when a 6 year old with +4 ou looses their glasses? We don't, that's for sure. Can you hear the register chime? The parents are fiscally, and morally bound to the child. They suffer only to the extent that their child can no longer see. It's truly in this case, the child that suffers.

The Optometric Oath

With full deliberation I freely and solemnly pledge that:

I will practice the art and science of optometry faithfully and conscientiously,
    and to the fullest scope of my competence.

I will uphold and honorably promote by example and action the highest
    standards, ethics and ideals of my chosen profession and the honor
    ofthe degree, Doctor of Optometry, which has been granted me.

I will provide professional care for those who seek my services, with
    concern, with compassion and with due regard for their human rights
    and dignity.

~~~> I will place the treatment of those who seek my care above personal
    gain and strive to see that none shall lack for proper care.

I will hold as privileged and inviolable all information entrusted to me
    in confidence by my patients.

I will advise my patients fully and honestly of all which may serve to
    restore, maintain or enhance their vision and general health.

I will strive continuously to broaden my knowledge and skills so that
    my patients may benefit from all new and efficacious means to
    enhance the care of human vision.

I will share information cordially and unselfishly with my fellow
    optometrists and other professionals for the benefit of patients and the
    advancement of human knowledge and welfare. (<~~ yay for optiboard!)

I will do my utmost to serve my community, my country and
    humankind as a citizen as well as an optometrist.

I hereby commit myself to be steadfast in the performance of this my
    solemn oath and obligation.

I see something that stands out here (besides this being the optometrist oath and not the optical community oath which, by the way, it should be). Every situation is different and must be handled accordingly. Yes we need to survive. This is our lively hood. We are a business and we need to turn a profit not only for ourselves, but for our employees and their families. We are not a charity, but are charitable actions below us? If in need are we inflexible? Iv'e dug into my own pockets to cover the loss of glasses for patients children that honestly need them.

I've indicated a passage above that some of us may have lost sight of. Were here to help people. Yes, there are those who want to take advantage we all know that, but for those who seek aid, and truly need it, they should not lack the proper care.

Some of you have the right idea. You know who you are. Some of us need to soften our hearts. We need not be hard on the children. The parents.......well.....that's another story.

Thanks for listening.

Occupation
    Do you by any chance have a copy of the Opticians Oath.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    "I will sell glasses to anyone who walks through the door and achieve 50% poly, 30% transitions and 80% A.R. or I will be Fired"?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    ..."and I will moan and cry when they see me as nothing but a sales person and try to shop online to save money"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Good comedy has an element of truth.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How do you know that they are really lost, or this is just a way to get a second pair cheaper than the first.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What message is conveyed if you can (do) offer a 50% discount on a replacement? That you are just a sweet ol' soul or that your pricing (margin) must be high?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    What message is conveyed if you can (do) offer a 50% discount on a replacement? That you are just a sweet ol' soul or that your pricing (margin) must be high?
    Exactly how I feel about BOGO. "pricing (margin) must be high.")
    I think that has for the most part run its course.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I say every practice has to decide for themselves and their own situation.Personally,I see an opportunity to differentiate from the crowd.As a parent of 4 I know what it's like.If my kids only ever lost glasses I'd have a few less grays:) Last thing I want to do is kick someone when they're down.And a kid that really needs the glasses....
    I never charged,ever.Not just kids either.Adults lose stuff too.I always tell them it's a 1 time deal.Same frame and lenses too.For that kid that don't want to wear them,they might magically 'find' them.

If you are an employee whether private practice it's not your call.I get that.I've been there.

For how many pair you might replace?Hardly going to effect anybody's bottom line.Let's say you replace 3 pair a year at <wholesale pricing removed> or even <wholesale pricing removed> bucks a year total.I know in some cases it can be more...much more.But I also have had a rep give me a frame once and I've gotten a few pair or lenses as a courtesy as well.
    Nobody ever wants to take a loss on a job but.....I've eaten more than that doing things like outside rx remakes ( since that's done as a 'courtesy' ) ,restyles and warranty jobs (anybody that's ever had to have a frame overnighted from the other coast knows what I'm talking about ).I've also given more than that in a year to buy an ad in little Johny's soccer club newsletter and bought more girl scout cookies than I can remember all in the name of good business.

Maybe it seems counterproductive to give something away but,I never had the same patient lose a 2nd pair.And those people become the most loyal customers.And they tell everybody.Since I was the best solution when they really needed,never had a patient look elsewhere.At this point do you really want them to go looking for a better deal?At a big box store? or ( gulp) online?They came to my shop for a reason and this only confirmed that decision.

I've done a pair or 2 for nursing home patients too.I had 1 lady call for a pair for her husband.Long time customers.He left his glasses on his food tray and they were gone for good.Nursing home would not take any responsibility.Rightfully so,maybe?But she certainly wasn't trying to scam me out of a pair of glasses for her dying husband.She came in the next day to pay for them.When I told her no charge she ask how can you do that.My response was how can I not.To go 1 better I asked what nursing home I could take them to so I could give him a proper adjustment.I remember her eyes welling up like it was yesterday.Total cost...<wholesale pricing removed> bucks.But I've found that service like that buys you the kind of 'advertising' that you can't buy at any cost.
    My 2cents
    Last edited by Fezz; 10-31-2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Wholesale pricing removed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Do you by any chance have a copy of the Opticians Oath.
    It's more like Optometrist's Pledge and it goes

Next to life itself, God's greatest gift to man is vision, and to the service of that vision we optometrists sincerely and faithfully dedicate ourselves.

This was found written in the Nearpoint Material Vision Intelligence booklet published in 1963.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    My warrantee is more of a manufacturers.

Lost glasses may be covered under their homeowners, like if the TV is stolen.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My message, I hope, is this:
    I understand your child/you need your lost glasses. I am sorry that they are lost. Everyone loses things sometimes, what with us all being human and all. I care about you as a person and a patient. Since you have put your trust in me by purchasing glasses that I recommended to fulfill your visual needs, I will have the compassion to do this one time courtesy for you.

My policy is under my own discretion. I have a doc who trusts me to take the best care of his patients. I don't believe this cheapens my skills or product in any way. If it does, I sleep well at night erring on the side of compassion when ever possible.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the company is not obligated to judge who is worthy of charity or not.

How do you fairly decide who gets the break? The sob-story customer, or the one that unbeknownst to you forwent an important expenditure to be responsible to pay for their lost glasses?

You can't know, and the company is at risk, IMHO, if the company is in the business of making judgement calls on who is "worthy" of free glasses and who isn't. A company does not have that license, IMO, without opening itself up to trouble.

On the other hand, if you PERSONALLY want to pay for someone else's glasses, bust open your own wallet and pay for it yourself. Don't provide it from the company, even if you own it.

(Sure, you were taxed on that money as income, and I don't think you can get a tax deduction for that type of charity on your personal tax return. And yes, if the company gives it, it just goes to a higher than normal COGS so your overall taxable profit is lower, but your accountant would/should kick your butt for doing it wrongly.)

Thread Information