Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Would you price match on frame purchases online?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    Totally agree with Paul here! It happens, people can always find a product for less $$$, but if you create great service, it should be a moot point. I get asked often about the difference in price, face to face, it is always a great discussion, with the patient usually choosing to purchase the frame from me anyway. I tell them that I can't dictate where they purchase their eyewear, but tell them also that I would love the opportunity to make it for them. I break down the prices for them, and they see the value in it. If they choose to buy elsewhere and bring in a frame, I charge a pattern fee, and adjustment fee, just like I do when they bring their existing old frame in.
    Do you still charge those fees if they purchased their current frame from you a year ago?

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do charge the "pattern fee".

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I thought I came up with the 'pattern fee' idea...I should probably charge you a fee for using it!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Do you still charge those fees if they purchased their current frame from you a year ago?
    If the patient/customer comes into my optical dispensary with my frame they get the works; ultra sonic cleaning(frame is taken apart for that), acetates receive an oil rub down, adjustments, nose pads at no charge and no pattern fee for new lenses. I just don't promise a ,"happy ending", that I leave to other profession.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Patents TEdFitz, Patents, haha. That's a great service Paul, I would imagine not a lot of your patients walk out on you as well. Great job!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post
    A customer of mine just purchased a pair of eyeglasses at our optical store. He went home and googled the frame and found for much cheaper price. Would you price match for the customer? How can I explain to him the difference in price on frames at optical stores and online?
    Gee, I went out for a beer at lunch....cost $6.50......Checked out the local liquor store....Can get the same beer for $2.00....Do you think the restaurant will refund the difference?

No, I wouldnt refund anything.....The difference in selling cost is to pay for the service and business overhead .....I would tell the customer that your cost of providing the frame is higher than the onliners selling price when you factor in your costs (of doing business)...And leave it at that...

Contrary to what Chris seems to think, we dont have to give our services away, in an attempt to keep the online business...Ill survive without it......I would rather have higher margins on the product I sell. than give things away and have to work twice as hard for the same net.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post

If they choose to buy elsewhere and bring in a frame, I charge a pattern fee, and adjustment fee, just like I do when they bring their existing old frame in.

So you are actually charging for your services if the customer had purchased the frames elsewhere. That seems to be the way to go.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper .................I never order a Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post

Chris, how many online plumbers did you check with first?

There is no online option to get your plumbing issues fixed, just like you can't solve your pizza cravings online. Yes, you can order these online, but it's still a B/M that will make it and deliver it.

Johns, I would never even had thought of looking on-line, I wanted immediate service, and got it for a price. I paid for a service provided.

.................I never order a Pizza. I buy a frozen one at the Super Market and then top it off at home with all the goodies I like, from Swiss cheese to meat and veggies and bake it in my oven.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I never order a Pizza. I buy a frozen one at the Super Market and then top it off at home with all the goodies I like, from Swiss cheese to meat and veggies and bake it in my oven.
    See if you can find some Tortilla Land raw flour tortillas at a grocery store (http://www.tortillaland.com/Find-a-Store). Need to dust them with corn meal on the bottom so they will slide on to a baking sheet. Much better and cheaper than the cardboard crusts used for frozen pizza.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Chris, how many online plumbers did you check with first?

There is no online option to get your plumbing issues fixed, just like you can't solve your pizza cravings online. Yes, you can order these online, but it's still a B/M that will make it and deliver it.
    I think the "online" vs B&M label is a red-herring. What if someone placed a phone call to the frame store that happened to have a webpage (just like you would with most plumbers). Would you actually visit the plumber B&M store, or just call them to arrange for them to come out and give you an estimate? Also, most plumber websites have a place where you can request a quote or additional information online. Then there are websites like Angie's List and HomeAdvisor where you contact contractors online, or they will contact you after you post your requirements online.

There are also a lot of pizza stores that have no eat-in area and only exist for delivery, usually based on phone or internet orders. Yes, they have a B&M location to make a pizza near you, but online sites like Amazon have many B&M warehouses to make sure they can get goods to you in a timely manner.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    See if you can find some Tortilla Land raw flour tortillas at a grocery store (http://www.tortillaland.com/Find-a-Store). Need to dust them with corn meal on the bottom so they will slide on to a baking sheet. Much better and cheaper than the cardboard crusts used for frozen pizza.
    I recommend pitas for your pizza crust. Delish.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I recommend pitas for your pizza crust. Delish.
    You are right about the delish part, but too many carbs for me compared the much thinner Tortilla Land tortillas.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    I think the "online" vs B&M label is a red-herring. What if someone placed a phone call to the frame store that happened to have a webpage (just like you would with most plumbers). Would you actually visit the plumber B&M store, or just call them to arrange for them to come out and give you an estimate? Also, most plumber websites have a place where you can request a quote or additional information online. Then there are websites like Angie's List and HomeAdvisor where you contact contractors online, or they will contact you after you post your requirements online.

There are also a lot of pizza stores that have no eat-in area and only exist for delivery, usually based on phone or internet orders. Yes, they have a B&M location to make a pizza near you, but online sites like Amazon have many B&M warehouses to make sure they can get goods to you in a timely manner.

In both cases though, you eventually deal with a B/M...not so w/online optical.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    So you are actually charging for your services if the customer had purchased the frames elsewhere. That seems to be the way to go.
    Really Chris? You are suggesting that we change our business practice to cater to the 4% of the market that's online.
    That sounds like the way to go for sure! Well maybe only in your mind it is.
    You are very frustrating sir.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    In both cases though, you eventually deal with a B/M...not so w/online optical.
    Not sure what you mean. Online Frame Stores have B&M operations or warehouses.

I do believe it is appropriate for the shop that does the fitting and adjustment on a frame purchased elsewhere to charge a fee for that if the patient brings in their own frame. As of about 6 years ago, I heard that Walmart charges 10% extra for lenses when customer bring in their own frame (or used an old one), but not sure of their current policy. Of course, if an optical is making $400 gross profit on high end progressive lenses, then maybe they might be willing to cut a customer some slack if they purchased the frame elsewhere, but obviously every shop has to decide that policy themselves, depending on whether the patient may go elsewhere if they don't.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    So the other day I had a patient try on our kate spade frame and put it on hold. (She was going to think about it because she was not eligible with her insurance for frames until January.) A few days later she came in with the same frame that she had purchased online for just $20 over our cost, which was about the same price that the frame would have been if she was eligible with insurance. Ticked me off! She did order the lenses through us (using insurance) and I then adjusted her newly purchased online frame for her. UGH!
    There is a way, if you want: "We don't supply lenses for frames we didn't supply." You can't buy a muffler at PepBoys and take it to most mechanics to install it. They'd say "We don't work with other people's parts. We couldn't guarantee the work." And you'd say "Yeah, that makes sense."

(Maybe your cousin Bennie would do it, but he's really just a shade tree mechanic, after all.)

DO YOU WANT TO BE A SHADE TREE OPTICIAN? DO YA? HUH?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by 4554lake View Post
    Gee, I went out for a beer at lunch....cost $6.50......Checked out the local liquor store....Can get the same beer for $2.00....Do you think the restaurant will refund the difference?

No, I wouldnt refund anything.....The difference in selling cost is to pay for the service and business overhead .....I would tell the customer that your cost of providing the frame is higher than the onliners selling price when you factor in your costs (of doing business)...And leave it at that...

Contrary to what Chris seems to think, we dont have to give our services away, in an attempt to keep the online business...Ill survive without it......I would rather have higher margins on the product I sell. than give things away and have to work twice as hard for the same net.
    The simplicity of this post makes me happy.

If someone came and said "Hey, that frame I just ordered is online for $xx less", I'd say "That's for just the frame. You paid for the frame plus our services." And if he went any further with it, I could hit him over the head with this tuna:

Carrying the most reliable and stylish inventory from a world of questionable choices
    Frame styling assistance
    Ability to try on frame in person
    Frame fit advice from a professional
    Quality control by a pro
    Warranty you can believe in
    Included adjustments for the life of the frame
    Interacting with a human not a robot
    Hot cup of Java!
    Last edited by drk; 10-30-2014 at 05:56 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    There is a way, if you want: "We don't supply lenses for frames we didn't supply." You can't buy a muffler at PepBoys and take it to most mechanics to install it. They'd say "We don't work with other people's parts. We couldn't guarantee the work." And you'd say "Yeah, that makes sense."
    Midas Muffler or a new car dealer may not do it, but I guarantee there are plenty of other independent shops who will do it, and I would not characterize them as "shade tree." Besides, I would much rather have an independent mechanic work on my car than Midas Muffler.

This thread is about profits, not about the quality of a frame that is purchased elsewhere. If someone brings in their own frame, and you don't feel there is enough profit in the deal without them buying the frame from you (only the lenses), then either charge them a fee for the frame fitting/adjustment or decline their business.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are we talking about a patient's old frame? If so, I do think that we provide a service there, too. 1. We inspect it for decreipicy 2. We judge its suitability for whatever new Rx use 3. Heaven help us if we do lenses only--mucho servicio! 4. If we are comfortable with the patient, we'll tell them "No way your wife is going to like you with those frames, AGAIN". 5. Then we adjust the dang thing at dispense and forever.

I think that is valuable. As such, we should charge, but let's face it, we don't (maybe we do the pattern fee thing).

You are completely right...all that service given away. Why not give it away for a new frame purchased from "Anteojos son nosotros.com"?

Maybe they should all be charged a service fee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The simplicity of this post makes me happy.

If someone came and said "Hey, that frame I just ordered is online for $xx less", I'd say "That's for just the frame. You paid for the frame plus our services." And if he went any further with it, I could hit him over the head with this tuna:

Carrying the most reliable and stylish inventory from a world of questionable choices
    Frame styling assistance
    Ability to try on frame in person
    Frame fit advice from a professional
    Quality control by a pro
    Frame fitting by a pro
    Warranty you can believe in
    Included adjustments for the life of the frame
    Interacting with a human not a robot
    Hot cup of Java!
    Well Said drk! That's a mighty big can of tuna to slug em with. It pretty well sums up why we do what we do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are we talking about a patient's old frame? If so, I do think that we provide a service there, too. 1. We inspect it for decreipicy 2. We judge its suitability for whatever new Rx use 3. Heaven help us if we do lenses only--mucho servicio! 4. If we are comfortable with the patient, we'll tell them "No way your wife is going to like you with those frames, AGAIN". 5. Then we adjust the dang thing at dispense and forever.

I think that is valuable. As such, we should charge, but let's face it, we don't (maybe we do the pattern fee thing).

You are completely right...all that service given away. Why not give it away for a new frame purchased from "Anteojos son nosotros.com"?

Maybe they should all be charged a service fee.
    Without question, for those that don't charge for such services or don't know how to breach the subject, it's a simple equation, time spent multiplied by services rendered. Keep in mind that they are coming to you; warm office, lights, beverages, furniture, rent or mortgage, business taxes, employee wages, CE's and License renewal fees, a warm body with the experience to do the work, if I left anything out add it to the list and multiply it by the time you spend with the individual. After presenting them with these service charges explain to them that all these things and more will be provided to them if they were to have purchased the product directly thru you, then ask them if on line will match your services.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This thread makes me sad. While our gut always says no in these situations, these are the exact cases where yes turn a one time sale into a customer for life. I usually say something like "Our policy is not to price match but since you've already fallen in love with this pair, I will go ahead and match it for you THIS ONE TIME" I also remind them that our customer service and personalized fitting process takes much longer than throwing a frame in box, but in an educational not condescending way.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pragusa View Post
    This thread makes me sad. While our gut always says no in these situations, these are the exact cases where yes turn a one time sale into a customer for life. I usually say something like "Our policy is not to price match but since you've already fallen in love with this pair, I will go ahead and match it for you THIS ONE TIME" I also remind them that our customer service and personalized fitting process takes much longer than throwing a frame in box, but in an educational not condescending way.
    Bully for you, and when they come back asking for the same deal, what say you then?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To each his own Paul, I won't do it twice. My goal by doing it once is to show them what a great optician can provide. Every offers different levels of customer service, I once refunded a woman $400 for glasses she'd bought three months prior for her son who died unexpectedly. No one else would have. Her entire family and extended family come here and have bought several thousands of dollars in product from me. Well worth the small up front cost, hell some advertising costs $500 per patient!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pragusa View Post
    I think that is a mistake. Just tell them you will need to charge them more than the online price (for reasons you should be able to explain), but give them some discount from list price (maybe split difference between online and list price). I suspect most customers will be happy with that.

I don't know why this is such a big deal, because most opticals have sales at least some of the time.

Thread Information