Thread: LAB and Lens Mfg Brand REPS...YOUR OPINION

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

LAB and Lens Mfg Brand REPS...YOUR OPINION

Should they all be ABO certified? Why or Why not?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe not ABO, but they need real optical experience and not just people who have sales backgrounds.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They are in my lab. ABO-AC or better.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The chances of any kind of requirement like that for B2B reps are nil. For example, pharmaceutical company reps who deal with medical doctors and pharmacies are not certified in their field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And significant technical education on the part of lens reps might interfere with their ability to sell Kool-Aid...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really DanLiv? Some of us are pretty knowledgeable. Some but not all. No broad brush please. I don't sell kool-aid.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A rep is there to sell...to tell you how life changing his item will be to you
    educated on the item or not

how many times have you pointed out the impracticality of certain frame mechanics, when he tells you its our hottest seller
    and yet the rep tells you he has never heard of an issue with the item you are questioning...when you know differently

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    A rep is there to sell...to tell you how life changing his item will be to you
    educated on the item or not

how many times have you pointed out the impracticality of certain frame mechanics, when he tells you its our hottest seller
    and yet the rep tells you he has never heard of an issue with the item you are questioning...when you know differently
    I beg to differ. Many of us are more than qualified to speak about the products and services we offer.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by DanLiv View Post
    And significant technical education on the part of lens reps might interfere with their ability to sell Kool-Aid...
    Very true, like an oxymoron

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Like opticians with no discernible qualifications other than the ability to spell the word?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally,I don't put much stock in anybody who stands on their laurels cause they are ABO.Their knowledge and experience is much more important to me.Professionally,I think they should have it but it doesn't make them any more knowledgeable than one who doesn't.
    Since reps are there to sell you and any business issues that may arise,that service is more important than having any technical background.Labs and lens companies all have technical support if you want to chat about the algorithms in their latest progressive.:)
    L

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There are some Lens/Lab reps with certification of some form or another, and I believe they should be educated in not only their own products, but how they compare to their competitor also. But..... it is a sales position, I don't see it being a requirement. I like when frame reps have at least a background in optics as well. It helps them understand what they are moving, not just what "looks good".

Judy, it is nice to see a well educated rep! A appreciate your input, and apologize for some of us buffoons who think we know everything! I have a couple reps that are well versed in both the industry, and how to "sell" their products as well. It's nice to have the balance. Makes it a lot easier to make decisions when it comes time to "buy" products.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    A very knowlegeable optiician who is a frame rep has a very tough time not making suggestions when they walk into an office.

And many offices are full of fragile egos.

Tough line to walk, sometimes a raw salesman will do better.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not a frame rep.

A knowledgeable and experienced Optician should be able to work comfortably with a multitude of ego levels, regardless of their current employment.

Thanks Rich. There's really nothing to apologize for. Some attitudes about reps are amusing, some are ignorant, some are arrogant. It takes all kinds to populate a world. My accounts seem to appreciate what I bring to the table and I do my best to earn their trust and confidence.
    Last edited by Judy Canty; 10-28-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Should they all be ABO certified? Why or Why not?
    I think we'd all agree that to do justice to their clients they should have experience and knowledge of not only their own product, but the science behind how lenses work as well. From past experience reading threads here I don't think everyone agrees on the merits of the ABO certification itself. But as I have said before, like it or loathe it, it is what we have to work with on the national scale.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 When referring to (the production and designs of optical lenses) Lab reps and Lens Mfg Reps. IMHO the frame rep need not be so qualified....BUT the frame buyer should be.
    Last edited by tx11; 10-29-2014 at 09:06 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I knew as soon as I saw the question that Judy would be all over this thread Unfortunately I'm afraid she's more of an exception than the norm (state licensed, owned her own shop at one point, many, many years experience, even been on TV discussing eyewear).

To answer the original question: yes, or the educational/experience equivalent thereof.

But, they are sales people, and their job is to sell. I personally like how Shamir does it, having both sales and technical reps. I know there are questions I don't even bother to ask our sales rep, since he'll just refer me to our technical rep (funny story, they both used to work for us, and at one point worked together here...).

I've always felt that the more you know, the better sales person you can be, whether you're a rep selling to an optical shop, or an optician explaining the benefits of a lens to a patient.

All of our reps have strong optical backgrounds, either coming from other labs, or from lens manufacturers. And if there's something they don't know, they will call me (usually while still at the account) and ask.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe all reps should be well educated in the field. Frame and lab reps. They should be able to answer the questions we might have in regards to the products they are representing. Reps (frame, lens or lab) that have a bad attitude and trash talk other companies are not welcome in our office. It is unprofessional and offensive.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 1987 I spent about a year with Pearle Vision (Grand Met not LUX) and was fortunate to attend their "Train the Trainer" course in Dallas. One of the most important things we stressed was the idea that you cannot make yourself look good by trying to make someone else look bad. Good advice personally and professionally.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Like opticians with no discernible qualifications other than the ability to spell the word?
    spelling is a problem on OptiBoard, as well...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizzo View Post
    spelling is a problem on OptiBoard, as well...
    ??

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I had a lens manufacturers rep come out and see me and another optician who was a friend in PA. Her job was a manufacturer rep and her clients were labs not opticians and small in store labs but while on business she carved out enough time to see the smaller guy. I use that companies products, because I was given a knowledgeable presentation of the product, no smoke no mirrors. I don't like the rep personally but if she walked into my place of employment I would listen because I know better. A good rep is a good rep but a great rep is hard to find.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Case in piont Judy ... ;-)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice to know, Harry. Nice to know.

Thread Information