Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

personality conflicts

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gandalf.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	11465

How do you handle visible, or worse, invisible conflict between co-workers in a small office?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I put up with that for 2 years, Finally quit and went to a new place it was the best thing I ever did..

Techs hated the opticians, would hide routing slips and not tell us when they brought someone out... threatened violence as well
    Opticians at one point were against each other...
    front desk was not helping techs or opticians...
    Office manager sat staring at a monitor all day, wouldnt talk to anyone or do their job...
    No one including doc wanted anything to really change...could have easily been sued for hostile work environment...

glad Im gone!
    Last edited by Slim; 10-25-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I put up with that for 2 years, Finally quit and went to a new place it was the best thing I ever did..
    It only took you two years! You must be some kind of a saint.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hate drama. This past time I talked to each party individually then set up a mediated conversation between the two of them. I find that usually if you can get them to air out their differences, often they realize there are a lot of similarities as well..

If they can not be civil to each other and won't work it out, someone has got to go. You don't keep poisoning the well.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I figured it out! It took a year and a half of her being mad at me but I think I have the whole picture. She worked in a lab, someone else was hired and they moved her to the front. She wasn't hired for the front and quit the job. She started here in the lab and brought me in. I think she thought the same thing was going to happen so Ive been getting ALOT of static from her. When I first started I asked management for some third party mediation, which never happens. I talked to her myself and suggested there was some issues that were between us and I didn't understand them. She gave me a whole lot of personal information that .... no one ever needs to know, but wasn't the real source of the issue. At least I know that she was threatened by me being hired and I can tip toe round the office without breaking the shells. Let this be a lesson. If you have a problem with someone - TELL THEM THE TRUTH. As a brief example, when I first started working this job, I had a lot of optical but no experience with Office mate. After a month, my boss pulled me to the side and told me that everything I was doing was wrong and I smelled bad. There, See? Honesty!

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Let this be a lesson. If you have a problem with someone - TELL THEM THE TRUTH.
    Or, slowly insert yourself into a position of power within your company while establishing an inability to be replaced by making everyone, including your superiors, dependent on your actions without ever telling them what they really are. Then, when the time is right, start demeaning the person you have a problem with in slow, subtle ways to their fellow employees (after, of course, establishing yourself as a far more popular person with them).

Once the lack of confidence is sown, start psychologically terrorizing the person by preying upon their innermost insecurities; displacing and rearranging things they compulsively prefer to have another way, playing music that has a somber emotional connection with them, waking them up in the middle of the night by honking the horn on your car, etc. Eventually the person will be in such a state that they have difficulty performing their job to the original standards that had been set. Use the trust and confidence your superiors bestow upon you to finally start vocalizing your belief that they are nothing but dead weight.

So long as you follow these steps slowly, over the course of many years, you can permanently cripple that person's self-confidence and force their termination.
    Sincerely,
    Chad Sobodash ABO-AC

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Sobodash View Post
    Or, slowly insert yourself into a position of power within your company while establishing an inability to be replaced by making everyone, including your superiors, dependent on your actions without ever telling them what they really are. Then, when the time is right, start demeaning the person you have a problem with in slow, subtle ways to their fellow employees (after, of course, establishing yourself as a far more popular person with them).

Once the lack of confidence is sown, start psychologically terrorizing the person by preying upon their innermost insecurities; displacing and rearranging things they compulsively prefer to have another way, playing music that has a somber emotional connection with them, waking them up in the middle of the night by honking the horn on your car, etc. Eventually the person will be in such a state that they have difficulty performing their job to the original standards that had been set. Use the trust and confidence your superiors bestow upon you to finally start vocalizing your belief that they are nothing but dead weight.

So long as you follow these steps slowly, over the course of many years, you can permanently cripple that person's self-confidence and force their termination.
    Wow, Chad, I am singularly impressed with your methods! (que the somber music) From the eloquent and revealing stratagem you employ to dismantle your co-workers sanity, I can see this isn't the first time you've executed and most likely succeeded driving your coworkers to madness. I personally have begun to soften the lab manager in a more.....psychologically friendly manner. I've started as you've suggested putting my head down and doing my work to the best of my ability. The GM who worked here before me understood the nature of her ..... disorders (of the obsessive/compulsive variety) and conformed to her needs. I, however, am a slob. This drives her insane. Insane I say, to the point she yells at me in front of patients. I quietly delight in her instability. I find that manipulation of my superiors is unnecessary to drive a splinter into the minds of others. Rather, I derive euphoric pleasure knowing that her madness is her own and I will continue to do my job with uninhibited autonomy.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Wow, Chad, I am singularly impressed with your methods! (que the somber music) From the eloquent and revealing stratagem you employ to dismantle your co-workers sanity, I can see this isn't the first time you've executed and most likely succeeded driving your coworkers to madness. I personally have begun to soften the lab manager in a more.....psychologically friendly manner. I've started as you've suggested putting my head down and doing my work to the best of my ability. The GM who worked here before me understood the nature of her ..... disorders (of the obsessive/compulsive variety) and conformed to her needs. I, however, am a slob. This drives her insane. Insane I say, to the point she yells at me in front of patients. I quietly delight in her instability. I find that manipulation of my superiors is unnecessary to drive a splinter into the minds of others. Rather, I derive euphoric pleasure knowing that her madness is her own and I will continue to do my job with uninhibited autonomy.
    You. I like you.
    Sincerely,
    Chad Sobodash ABO-AC

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

or just cut their brakes. but tomato/tomatoe.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You. I like you.
    it seems as though there is a bromance brewing on optiboard
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Yuk, this thread gives me the creeps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had an issue with a coworker at my last job but the problem was also rooted in management for not dealing with the issue. My coworker wouldn't talk to me. I told my boss and her response was " Now what? What do you expect me to do about it?". The only option I had was to leave the company. The boss I had left shortly after I did. I wanted to sit down with her and my manager so we could figure out what was going on. Looking back on it now I think the manager should have had a talk alone with her and possibly terminated her.

I think it depends on the circumstances sometimes we have to grow up and get along if possible. We don't have to be BFFs and go out for drinks after work but you do have to get a long. Lets face it though you are around your coworkers more then your own family so you will always have some conflicts at some point or another. If you have major issues talk about them. If it really is just personality conflicts just agree to disagree and they can do their job and you can do yours. If you leave that job you never know what kind of people will be at your next job.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Yuk, this thread gives me the creeps.
    yup

Thread Information