Thread: Need to Find A Source For Small Quantity Very Specific Parameter Progressive Sunglass

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Need to Find A Source For Small Quantity Very Specific Parameter Progressive Sunglass

I need to find a source for a small quantity of lenses to meed a specific demand. What I need to find are:
    Progressive Lens (varying Rx) Polarized, (Dark as preference is for no mirror coating) Blue Tint Progressive Lenses, Light Transmittance < ~7%, DoD MilSpec, in a "Wraparound format to so as to be compatible with Gargoyle or 7Eye by Panoptx Rocker Sunglasses. These are for a small group of individuals, who fly mostly at high mountain (>15,000'msl) in light turboprop, or rotary wing multi-engine aircraft. Since these will be individual orders out of personal funds, and not DoD contract/price point cost is not an exclusionary factor, but the order(s) will be somewhat price sensitive. Time frame is also necessarily short, with specific Rx available within 96hrs or as necessary for earliest reasonably expected delivery time. PS: Anyone whose spectacles are designed to read between the lines is welcome to use them.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A dark blue (7% transmittance) polar PAL lens is going to be tricky to find easily. Adding in mil spec tolerances and wraps adds another order of magnitude to the complexity. To tack on "price sensitivity" of any sort would almost certainly shunt this lens in the "utterly unobtainable" column. A 4 day turn isn't impossible with more common PAL lenses, but to get anything resembling a decent fit of the lens, the pt needs to be measured and fit in person. Is this "small group of individuals" all located in a single area? It's been a long time since I sat in a US geo class, but I don't recall any 15-ers in Kentucky. :)

There's obviously a lot of super secret stuff you're dealing with - and that's all fine. But this might be a needle in a haystack too small to find.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I wonder if getting a poly lens in Gray A and tinting over it with blue would be acceptable. Trying to get a blue tint to less than 7% light transmission without a mirror is going to be a challenge though. Maybe something like the hoya diamond tint might be able to help?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have a dark blue available in the FreeFocus design. May not be dark enough, though.Attachment 11462

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Wouldn't touch this with a 100 foot pole. MIL-SPEC eyewear comes from MIL-SPEC certified labs and facilities. If there is a hidden contract here, anyone who sells to this "ForensicDoc" is liable for any failure to meet the specifications of the contract. Beware of so-called "prime" contractors looking to make a fast buck.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Wink Need to Find A Source for Small Quantity Very Specific Parameter Progressive Sunglass

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Wouldn't touch this with a 100 foot pole. MIL-SPEC eyewear comes from MIL-SPEC certified labs and facilities. If there is a hidden contract here, anyone who sells to this "ForensicDoc" is liable for any failure to meet the specifications of the contract. Beware of so-called "prime" contractors looking to make a fast buck.

First, let me assure you that there are no "Hidden Gnomes" waiting to sure anyone for a failure to meet specifications of the contract. Actually, there will be no "contract" in the sense indicated in Dr. Aurelius' quote, only the same requirements for due diligence, etc. as is found when any lens or pair of glasses is dispensed. We are really interested in just receiving a product that meets the specifications, e.g. correct Rx, proper alignment and placement, for which we will provide our own O.D. support, and there are no unreasonable, e.g. 4-day turnarounds, we can reach out to 7-10day turnarounds for fitting to a specific frame is that is absolutely necessary. I hope that this will quash any concerns about being "entrapped" into some rogue contract.

Secondly, "MilSpec" is a desirable trait, one that we hope can be readily achieved, and will not be mandatory. Obviously, if we had wished to mandate this as a specification we would have gone to a "MIL-SPEC certified labs", but as this is not a requirement for the vendor nor it is especially a requirement given our needs. I am looking for these specific lens, or as close to a duplication of these lenses that can produce them upon individual requests/orders. I assume that an an order for a pair of spectacles with these lens specifications will be unusual enough for a small vendor to receive that they will associate them with this thread, order, request and proceed accordingly.

As persons transition from one location to another, requirements arise as many things, such as prescription eyeglasses are not interchangeable, plus to the greatest extent possible, except for interchangeable "one-off"production models that do not have the unique characteristics as eyeglasses. each of us prefers "New" equipment sot that we can be assured that it has not been "individualized" by someone else.

I am just looking for a vendor/laboratory that can can supply a high quality product that matches the requirements and specifications that was indicated. I know that this is not an "easy hit" as that is why I am here asking fellow professionals for assistance in locating a laboratory/vendor/source that can supply the product in question within the constraints of any other commercial transaction.

And, on another, and not overly relevant note< "15"ers are now everywhere, from KY to HI and not in concentrations.

I appreciate the responses, yes even Dr. Aurelius as it allows me to clarify and issue that might be a concern of others, who I hope will now set asides unnecessary concerns and alleviate the strain of carrying their 100' poles.
    Stephen B. Spies, M.D. Pharm,, Psy.D, Ph.D., F.A.C.L.B.A.

This message does not constitute legal or other professional advice, nor does it create any fiduciary relationship.
    Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.n.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I am not a Doctor, nor do I play one on television. I have, however, been deeply and intimately involved in MIL-SPEC contracting and your original post and its follow up above send up all kinds of red flags. Your not-so-sly attempts at the wink-wink-nudge-nudge are noted and deplored.

Since you are not, as you so easily note in your sig line, a ophthalmic doctor, your attempts to solicit prescription eyewear for others is violation of medical ethics, not to mention probably illegal in your state.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    We have a dark blue available in the FreeFocus design. May not be dark enough, though.Attachment 11462
    Could you send me the specifications for the FreeFocus design lens that you describe, and if necessary, and additional coatings, even if necessary a tinted mirror coating, that might be required to achieve the <7% Transmittance requirement.

While I asked for a lens with these specifications, I knew that it might be somewhat of an unusual requirement, and hence, since I do not know the previous source of that which I am trying to replicate I am reaching out for sources that might be closest to that "original" and of course would be interested in lenses that are currently available within the field.
    Stephen B. Spies, M.D. Pharm,, Psy.D, Ph.D., F.A.C.L.B.A.

This message does not constitute legal or other professional advice, nor does it create any fiduciary relationship.
    Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free.n.

Occupation
    After hearing from ForensicsDoc I believe that although he is not an optician or 'eyecare professional', his occupation does put him in a position where it is apprproriate to ask the kinds of questions he is asking. Thread reopened.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information