Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over 80% wear the wrong size spectacle frame .............................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Over 80% wear the wrong size spectacle frame .............................

Over 80% wear the wrong size spectacle frame

OCTOBER 24 2014

Eight out of 10 spectacle wearers in the UK and US wear a poorly fitted frame, according to a study performed by bespoke eyewear company, Atelier Eyewear.

Performed through the company’s website, the survey asked specific visitors to submit the measurements of their current frame. They were then measured by Atelier’s proprietary measurements software UltraTool, which provides accurate 3D scans of the face and cranial features online.

The survey found that six out of 10 people are wearing a frame which has a bridge that is too tight, while 65% are wearing a frame which is too wide. Furthermore, 71% of spectacles wearers are wearing a frame with temples which are too short.

contnue =======> http://www.optometry.co.uk/news-and-.../?article=6535

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Over 80% wear the wrong size spectacle frame

OCTOBER 24 2014

Eight out of 10 spectacle wearers in the UK and US wear a poorly fitted frame, according to a study performed by bespoke eyewear company, Atelier Eyewear.

Performed through the company’s website, the survey asked specific visitors to submit the measurements of their current frame. They were then measured by Atelier’s proprietary measurements software UltraTool, which provides accurate 3D scans of the face and cranial features online.

The survey found that six out of 10 people are wearing a frame which has a bridge that is too tight, while 65% are wearing a frame which is too wide. Furthermore, 71% of spectacles wearers are wearing a frame with temples which are too short.

contnue =======> http://www.optometry.co.uk/news-and-.../?article=6535
    Thank to the internet sellers and do it yourself dispensing. I'm sure the incidents of incorrect Rx's is even higher than the 60%.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thanks for the informative advertorial. :)

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Thanks for the informative advertorial. :)
    have you noticed all the periods or commas or other massive amounts of unnecessary punctuation on those post titles?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper sizes ...........................

Occupation
    What does the anatomy of the eye picture and lens optics have to do with poorly fitted frames? Although a small percentage of those poorly fitted frames is due to inadequate training with dispensers, the majority of the issues is caused by the wearer themselves by being so cheap and self dispensing a product they know absolutely nothing about.

If I'm building a race car, I will certainly hire a pro to do it for me safely and not use the self build Ikea diagrams. You get what you pay for!

Occupation

Blue Jumper Both private services- and goods-producing industries contributed to the decrease

Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post

If I'm building a race car, I will certainly hire a pro to do it for me safely and not use the self build Ikea diagrams. You get what you pay for!

Perfectly said ..............but when these days you can not afford the race car, nor hiring a pro, nor buying a new dishwasher, you can still clean your own dishes in the sink by hand with some soap and dry them with a towel, and save money wherever you can.

EMBARGOED UNTIL RELEASE AT 8:30 A.M. EDT, FRIDAY, JULY 25, 2014
    BEA 14-33

GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT BY INDUSTRY: FIRST QUARTER 2014

Real gross domestic product (GDP) decreased at an annual rate of 2.9 percent in the first quarter of 2014 after increasing 2.6 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013. Both private services- and goods-producing industries contributed to the decrease, while the government sector increased slightly. Durable-goods manufacturing; wholesale trade; and agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting were the leading contributors to the decrease in GDP. Overall, 16 of 22 industry groups contributed to the 2.9 percent decrease in U.S. economic activity.

• Durable-goods manufacturing real value added—a measure of an industry’s contribution to GDP—decreased 8.4 percent after an increase of 3.5 percent in the fourth quarter of 2013.
    • Wholesale trade decreased 8.7 percent after an increase of 6.9 percent in the fourth quarter.
    • Agriculture, forestry, fishing, and hunting decreased 31 percent after a decrease of 7.0 percent in the fourth quarter.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I knew there was a lot of that out there but I didn't know it was that high.Wow.
    Some I'm sure is consumer driven.I'd say a larger part is unskilled opticians afraid to tell the consumer "no" for fear of losing the sale.I'd also say the manufacturers are to blame.I remember when a good portion of frames came in multiple bridge and temple sizes.Now it's 1,2 if you're lucky.We do have to work with what's available.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suspect the online folks have little to do with it at this point. Frame size is very subjective in the first place, and with the lack of training prevalent in this field we can't blame it on a relatively new phenomenon. And keep in mind that not a single one of those people developed any serious injury nor disease from the incorrect frame size.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by wileyguy View Post
    I knew there was a lot of that out there but I didn't know it was that high.Wow.
    Some I'm sure is consumer driven.I'd say a larger part is unskilled opticians afraid to tell the consumer "no" for fear of losing the sale.I'd also say the manufacturers are to blame.I remember when a good portion of frames came in multiple bridge and temple sizes.Now it's 1,2 if you're lucky.We do have to work with what's available.

Seriously? The report was created by a company that makes bespoke frames. It is advertising being presented as scientific news.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Seriously? The report was created by a company that makes bespoke frames. It is advertising being presented as scientific news.
    And look who posted it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking of 80% wrong,
    I remember on Oprah they said 80% of women wear the wrong bra size....

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Be sure not to click the link, and contribute to the number of visitors to the site, it might throw our industry into turmoil, with everyone going to the internet to buy their eyewear!!! Come on Chris, quit calling us idiots! Some of us do know what we are doing, and enjoy doing it, and don't necesarily think the world is coming to an end. Sounds like a Fox News report, scaring everybody into whatever their subject matter of the day is. Maybe you can get Ebola from a poorly fitting frame, unless you get it "custom fit" on the internet without even seeing a person!?????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    Be sure not to click the link, and contribute to the number of visitors to the site, it might throw our industry into turmoil, with everyone going to the internet to buy their eyewear!!! Come on Chris, quit calling us idiots! Some of us do know what we are doing, and enjoy doing it, and don't necesarily think the world is coming to an end. Sounds like a Fox News report, scaring everybody into whatever their subject matter of the day is. Maybe you can get Ebola from a poorly fitting frame, unless you get it "custom fit" on the internet without even seeing a person!?????
    That is very funny! I wish I had thought of it!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation

Blue Jumper If I have called you idiots, I sincerely apologize ................................

Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post

Come on Chris, quit calling us idiots! Some of us do know what we are doing, and enjoy doing it, and don't necesarily think the world is coming to an end.
    If I have called you idiots, I sincerely apologize because that is not my usual style.

......and if you think it is like Fox news, please ignore my post's and do not look at the facts attached to them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I feel a little sheepish posting in the Canadian forum--not sure how this article belongs here to begin with. (If we're barging in on our northerly neighbors, I apologize and thank y'all for your graciousness.)

I don't begrudge industry players from doing and publishing research. We'd have darn little research to talk about if they didn't. But this article begs some serious scrutiny, and I fault the authors and the publication editors for not linking to the 'study.'

Who defines "right" and "wrong" fitting here? How did the study define these parameters? How was the study conducted? Where's the data?

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If I have called you idiots, I sincerely apologize because that is not my usual style.

......and if you think it is like Fox news, please ignore my post's and do not look at the facts attached to them.
    Facts from an advertisement...there's a new one.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper Optometry Today Online ........................

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post

Facts from an advertisement...there's a new one.

Actually the posted excerpt and link was from:

Optometry Today Online

Click here to view the latest edition ofOT

Optometry Today is the UK's leading publication for optometrists, ophthalmologists, dispensing opticians and students.
    Every fortnight the magazine helps to keep readers up-to-date with the latest news and developments in the sector.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    That is very funny! I wish I had thought of it!

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    +1! Breaking news on CNN, there's now a coating for that!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    I feel a little sheepish posting in the Canadian forum--not sure how this article belongs here to begin with. (If we're barging in on our northerly neighbors, I apologize and thank y'all for your graciousness.)

I don't begrudge industry players from doing and publishing research. We'd have darn little research to talk about if they didn't. But this article begs some serious scrutiny, and I fault the authors and the publication editors for not linking to the 'study.'

Who defines "right" and "wrong" fitting here? How did the study define these parameters? How was the study conducted? Where's the data?
    Don't feel sheepish at all posting in the Canadian forum. I wear my Kevlar vest when I post on the U.S. side. It's all good and we encourage cross border posting.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

Optometry Today Online

Optometry Today is the UK's leading publication for optometrists, ophthalmologists, dispensing opticians and students.
    Every fortnight the magazine helps to keep readers up-to-date with the latest news and developments in the sector.
    Doesn't make it any less of an advertisement.

And BTW, is it REALLY necessary to use all those periods, comma's, or semi-colons in your titles?

Occupation

Redhot Jumper That's my style, my right middle finger ............................

And BTW, is it REALLY necessary to use all those periods, comma's, or semi-colons in your titles?

That's my style, my right middle finger likes to poke the ...........button

There are probably close to 19,884 post's by me like that, since August 2002 when I joined OptiBoard, and you make a complaint against it 12 years later.

Maybe you should start a poll find out if everybody else hates it.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Maybe a better poll would be about your incessant posts containing bad cut&paste from articles most of us have already read on-line and really don't care about.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could there be a sloppier methodology for a statistical survey? Whenever I hear TV or radio opinion polls, they always fall over themselves saying "this is not a scientific poll." How is it supposedly professionals in health care are even sloppier and more careless than that? Where is the scientific/mathematical literacy that's supposed to be on all sides of this "information?" The ones conducting the 'study,' the media printing it, and the people reading it?

Optometry Today Online

...And this is what I find alarming. I read these guys from time to time and would have ordinarilly regarded them as decent print. But this 'article' is one of the most embarrassing lapses in editorial judgment I have ever seen in professional news. There's no getting around the need for puff pieces, but this crosses a line. The fact that it's a usually reputable media outlet doesn't make argumentum ab auctoritate capable of validating unfounded statistics. Regardless of the raw data's actual merits, the fact these industry news media gatekeepers decided to introduce this meme without scrutinizing the data or even linking to it so readers can scrutinize it themselves is a journalistic embarassment. Mark is right...until this data is submitted to some statistical and sematic rigor, then it's shlop.

There are probably close to 19,884 post's by me like that, since August 2002 when I joined OptiBoard....
    Chris, man, that's gotta be a million dots! Do you have to replace the period key on your keyboards? Or do you just buy whole new boards when the period key gives? : P

disclaimer: I'm already aware I frequently misuse ellipses...and freely admit it!

Occupation
    Maybe a better poll would be about your incessant posts containing bad cut&paste from articles most of us have already read on-line and really don't care about.
    Geez, just do us all a favor and put Chris on your 'Ignore' list already!

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information