Thread: Welcome Back Letter

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Welcome Back Letter

I think this is the right place to post this. This is my first time doing this...I've been watching & reading for quite awhile, but have decided to join and ask a question.

Our practice is looking to start making "Welcome Back" phone calls to patients we haven't seen in 5+ years. We are looking for good wording for this. One of the things we want to touch on is the difference you can get from us versus big box stores.

If anyone has a script or letter that they use, please let me know. We'd like to start making these calls as soon as we can find some good wording for this. Any ideas are helpful.

Thanks!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome, Vicki!

Live calls by a lucky front desk person? Or recorded and sent by software?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks! HAHA! Live calls. Actually it's been decided that the optician/owner is going to do them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Independent optical or doctor's office?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Independent optical, but we have a doctor that comes in once a week to do exams.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Concentrate and convey to the client what you can offer them but don't mention the box stores.
    Welcome and congratulations on your first post.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I find those types of phone calls very annoying.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tough crowd, the ones lost over a few years. Many of them left with a bad taste in their mouth for some reason--so the caller should be prepared to field some horror stories (some real, some skewed and embelleshed.) It's a lot of work to recover just a handful of hopeful maybes. Empathetic listening is key to making it productive at all. The intro to the conversation should be a little subdued and hinting at 'change.' A patient that actually gives you a chance to dialogue should be treated as a real gift. Take advantage of that gift to invite the patient to tell their story and advertize what they'd like in their purchase experience.

"Hi! This is X with Y. You purchased eyewear with us back in 20__, and we wanted you to know we appreciate the opportunity you gave us. We would love to assist you with your future needs as well. [...here comes the dump...] Oh, really? Tell me more. [...directly address feedback.] May I ask what [else] you look for when you make your eyewear purchases? [...turn conversation with positive affirmations of what you provide...skill test of thinking on your feet...] John/Jane, thank you so much for speaking with me today! The industry has changed a lot in the last few years, and so have we! Please remember us when you're in the market again and come see for yourself. We're still at #### Z St, open 9-6 M-S. Thank you! Bye!"
    Last edited by Hayde; 10-22-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome VickiT, great question. I think you have a great answer with Hayde above. I agree with Hayde, make sure you put on the rain slicker, so the negative comments slide right off to respond positively. It's a tough opportunity for growth, the keyword being opportunity. Good luck!!!

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I agree with not mentioning big box stores. Doesn't make you look good. I suggest mentioning what has improved at your optical, ie. great new styles, new licensed opticians, new lens technology... If they left for a reason other than because of location, they had some reason, whether accurate or not. So now you are better and are inviting them to see why.
    As for how to communicate this? Tough call. If email, how many people read unsolicited email? Facebook?... Not easy. But if you call and get through, I suggest using the home number (if one exists) or cell. If you call people at work, would they be receptive to a non-urgent call? And cell phones are our main way to reach people (ie. glasses are ready) as very few here answer the home number if they even have one. Sometimes we will call to check on certain patients and how they are doing with their new glasses. The unscientific survey tells me that most people don't like me to call them on their cell for something not so pressing or urgent for them. But if I leave a message on their home voicemail, they'll call back. Not always, but it is a better gamble then bugging them on their cell for what is essentially a solicitation. Good luck!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just speaking personally, but I find these types of calls extremely annoying. It seems that everyone these days considers my phone to be their own personal marketing tool. I strongly believe that my phone is for my use - not anyone elses. And I suspect that you may end up irritating more people than making them feel good about your business.

Having said that if it were my business, I would send a thank you letter instead of making a phone call. Just my 2 cents.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually agree with these guys who suggest 'don't do it.' It's a lot of labor and probably less successful than a random mailer. You'll mostly find bad contact info and be left with another sizable project when you're done: implimenting a "do-not-call" list so you and your staff are systematically prevented from calling those phone numbers again.

I know a lot of consultants that love the idea of calling old patients. If you happen to have one of those hounding you, I say make them do it.

I like Steve's idea of a thank you or rather "we miss you" mailer. Include a coupon to try you again. Mail-merge and stamps, done & done.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would hate to be the guy making those calls. I would hate to be the former patient recieving those calls. I am with Steve a letter in the mail and maybe offer some type of welcome back gift.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Send a nice letter in the mail with an offer. Call new clients within 2 months of purchasing to make sure everything is good, fit, RX etc. Calling 5 years later is ridiculous and a little desperate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think that a postcard is less likely to get thrown away before the message is seen. There are hundreds of postcards available, that you can personlize as you wish.

Also, if you waited 5+ years to reach out to them, you waited about 3 years too long.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    postcard for sure. I am still shocked the response we get from them. Its a little reminder your still there.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post
    Just speaking personally, but I find these types of calls extremely annoying. It seems that everyone these days considers my phone to be their own personal marketing tool. I strongly believe that my phone is for my use - not anyone elses. And I suspect that you may end up irritating more people than making them feel good about your business.

Having said that if it were my business, I would send a thank you letter instead of making a phone call. Just my 2 cents.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Another agreement with Steve here. Postcards are the way to go with an offer. Follow up the sale with a personalized hand written thank you card.

Thread Information