Thread: Occupations where AR just isn't that good

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Restaurant cooks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    A lot of the disappointments with AR is simply because the US loves Spin Coaters, but dip coating (used in Europe and Asia) has 30-40% better durability. With the new smaller Dip maching by Leybold and Schneider, it could tip the scales toward more Dip coatings in the US. Old dip coaters were the size of shipping containers, not something for the faint of heart or those who wanted to actually walk around in their labs.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that quality Dip Coating is the way to go, and I like Labs that use it. Dip coated Crizal Avance is the nuts.

However there are those that even the best AR is just not meant for. Although its not an technically an occupation I would like to add to the list: "People who do not, cannot, or WILL not clean their glasses."

You are doing them no favors by putting them in an AR, it will only be greasy and they will be hindered not helped. Put them in a thermal cured hard coat or just an EZ clean coating.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    I agree that quality Dip Coating is the way to go, and I like Labs that use it. Dip coated Crizal Avance is the nuts.

However there are those that even the best AR is just not meant for. Although its not an technically an occupation I would like to add to the list: "People who do not, cannot, or WILL not clean their glasses."

You are doing them no favors by putting them in an AR, it will only be greasy and they will be hindered not helped. Put them in a thermal cured hard coat or just an EZ clean coating.
    Sad but true. The number of grown-*** men and women who can't train themselves to treat their glasses with the care a seven-year-old does astonishes me.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    An office worker who uses 100 grit sand paper to remove surface curvature for better clarity at the computer.
    This is an under-appreciated post.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Years ago, I had an older Asian lady who purchased a very high-end frame and lenses with A/R. They looked wonderful in her high-end case and she loved them... until she put them on. She shrieked at all the wrinkles around her eyes, and we immediately had the A/R removed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have quite a few food warehouse people who stay away from AR because of the temp changes. We all just do the best in ourr experience to provide a useful value product to the patient. It's a judgement call. I just wanted to add that we are currently selling the snot out of those glittery Kate Spade frames, brought them in for fun/wow factor and they work on a surprising percentage of faces. =)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Actually you can also protect any AR against dust collection ........................

Actually you can also protect any AR against dust collection by using by applying my ZeroFog which contains anti static agents and dust will not adhere to it. Very simple solution and another sale.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arc

Quote Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
    I tell patients I'd rather they get nothing rather than get the 'basic' AR. It's hard to clean and easy to scratch. I don't like to sell problems.
    +1. And many types of painters, chemical workers, etc. It depends on the intensity of the vapors. Which sounds silly, but thinners, strippers...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    just to sum up some of this

Would it be better to put the mechanics, welders, blast furnace operators and thoes who work around dramatic changes in temperature in glass? The farmers round here swear by it and even the welders that have slag blasting in thier face would prefer glass over poly or trivex for safety. For cooks and those that work around ovens or go in and out of a cold environment to a warm environment might appreciate the anti fog td2 or anti fog AR. For thoes working around hair and low to moderate dust, use the higher end AR (avance and saphire as was mentioned) with the oliphobic and hydrophoic coatings. Anyone that is in a costic environment that uses harsh chemicals or abrasive, destructive materials should probably have specialty saftey equipment on anyway and for thier casual eyewear use an Alize or better.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Glass can pit with metal workers and welders quite quickly, which becomes a enormous safety issue as the glass weakens appreciably.

I would put them in appropriate safety eyewear for their trade, but with Trivex or Poly.

Thread Information