Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Measuring Devices

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Digital Measuring Devices

I am looking into purchasing a digital measuring device. I have looked into essilor's M'eye Fit Touch and also the Cyclops which is made by ViewItech. I wanted to get some thoughts, opinions, concerns, etc. from some other offices that have had experience using these types of devices. How precise are the measurements? How efficient are they? Are they user friendly? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Investigate Luzerne's iFit Dispensing System. I am a rep for Luzerne.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The Shamir spark is supposed to be good. Just stay away from the visio office.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use the Zeiss i.Terminal 2 in practice - it's an amazing piece of equipment... for impressing patients.

I've not yet seen any real evidence to suggest these items are actually improving optics for anyone.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Indeed, I suppose the same could be said of pupilometer vs. PD ruler.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only "optics-related" improvement would be in progressive utility from more properly, closer to visual-axis aligned corridors.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    The only "optics-related" improvement would be in progressive utility from more properly, closer to visual-axis aligned corridors.

B
    How much of that would a patient notice? I'm sort of trying to work through my issues with the equipment, because I'm not convinced it adds very much - so forgive me for my ignorance :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    How much of that would a patient notice? I'm sort of trying to work through my issues with the equipment, because I'm not convinced it adds very much - so forgive me for my ignorance :)
    If the measurement derived and used is significantly off monocularly for a progressive of +2.00 add or greater, the patient will notice/complain.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    If the measurement derived and used is significantly off monocularly for a progressive of +2.00 add or greater, the patient will notice/complain.

B
    Catch word there, "significantly"

Anyone worth their salt would not be doing that kind of significant work. They would get quickly and promptly trained to do it correct the first time. Thus deeming the wow factor sales device useless.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Catch word there, "significantly"

Anyone worth their salt would not be doing that kind of significant work. They would get quickly and promptly trained to do it correct the first time. Thus deeming the wow factor sales device useless.
    Q: How would they know *before* they used that value?

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clarify your question sir.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clarify your question sir.
    The question is: How would one "know" their measurement was in error, and began to suspect the DCD?

B

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Mradosevic View Post
    I am looking into purchasing a digital measuring device. I have looked into essilor's M'eye Fit Touch and also the Cyclops which is made by ViewItech. I wanted to get some thoughts, opinions, concerns, etc. from some other offices that have had experience using these types of devices. How precise are the measurements? How efficient are they? Are they user friendly? Any and all advice is welcome. Thanks!
    Don't purchase without a trial run, you really need to test these devices out to see how they work and will fit. I am amazed at how unnecessarily complicated the steps are on some of the equipment.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great advise Harry! I agree! And from a user of the ITeminal, I think it is a great addition, depending on what kind of clientel you are catering to. If you are just doing standard lenses, I don't see the point of using said equipment, but part of a whole "digital package" it has great value and wow factor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Since most corridors are not aligned by RX even in Free-form, and only a few apply some change in with inset based on Base Curve (They say its RX based but its really not). I consider most of these measuring devices of limited value unless the lens also accepts a mono- near PD. May Free-form lenses don't adjust inset what so ever and offer the standard 5mm inset.

The corridor needs to be realigned based on actual near pd and calculated for prismatic effect of the distance RX.
    Right now only a few lenses do this at all: Zeiss Individual, Seiko Surmount and Seiko Superior.

Adjusting power to me .08 D in +2.50 add is like trying to clean a Texas semi-truck in summer with a squirt gun. The entire corridor needs to be realigned and near PD specified.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeCare Rich View Post
    wow factor.
    That's pretty much how I'd sum it up, too.

CCGREEN, I think you're mistaken in thinking that the DCD would be 'useless', even if it was awful at measuring. Even if you disregarded the values immediately, there is a value to someone leaving the practice and saying to their friend (who goes to some other practice) 'they used this fancy new machine to measure my glasses.'

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Standarduck

Without a doubt there is a place for said devices. There will always be those out there that need to be impressed by techno stuff.
    That can be done with such devices, the patient is impressed with their visit and its easier to part with the money for glasses.
    But how do we get that WOW affect to transfer to and be there when the pt comes to pick up their $800 glasses when they are starting to suffer from buyers remorse.
    The most difficult time for a person getting new glasses is when they first put them on. That is when the WOW affect needs to take place. Not admiring the office equipment.
    If they could get that kind of WOW it would make dispensing for all of us more enjoyable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Since most corridors are not aligned by RX even in Free-form, and only a few apply some change in with inset based on Base Curve (They say its RX based but its really not). I consider most of these measuring devices of limited value unless the lens also accepts a mono- near PD. May Free-form lenses don't adjust inset what so ever and offer the standard 5mm inset.

The corridor needs to be realigned based on actual near pd and calculated for prismatic effect of the distance RX.
    Right now only a few lenses do this at all: Zeiss Individual, Seiko Surmount and Seiko Superior.

Adjusting power to me .08 D in +2.50 add is like trying to clean a Texas semi-truck in summer with a squirt gun. The entire corridor needs to be realigned and near PD specified.
    I have always been annoyed with this one. In training we have always been hammered on to take a mono DISTANCE pd for progressives. WTH! We have to TOTALLY ignore the near pd on a progressive and let it fall where it may?
    And then so much emphasis is put into proper alignment of the channel of the progressive.
    Why do we not take a mono NEAR pd and the lab lay the lens out for surfacing using the near pd instead of the distance?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have always been annoyed with this one. In training we have always been hammered on to take a mono DISTANCE pd for progressives. WTH! We have to TOTALLY ignore the near pd on a progressive and let it fall where it may?
    And then so much emphasis is put into proper alignment of the channel of the progressive.
    Why do we not take a mono NEAR pd and the lab lay the lens out for surfacing using the near pd instead of the distance?
    SO many things impact near corridor alignment. The egregious one is the lack of a reliable value for average near fixation distance.

Van Rue has the best handle on this.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How I get the WOW factor in the office.

Use a Y-Stick on all PAL wearers.
    Take Vertex measurements
    Take Tilt and Wrap measurements
    Draw line on lenses to find patients "perceived" center of focus.
    Explain each step and what it means to them.

Costs in <$200

Measurement I actually use.... seg height from line drawn on lens. The rest is show.

Results: People come in after being referred by previous customers because how "thorough" we are in fitting their bifocals.

Perception is everything.
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kcount View Post
    How I get the WOW factor in the office.

Use a Y-Stick on all PAL wearers.
    Take Vertex measurements
    Take Tilt and Wrap measurements
    Draw line on lenses to find patients "perceived" center of focus.
    Explain each step and what it means to them.

Costs in <$200

Measurement I actually use.... seg height from line drawn on lens. The rest is show.

Results: People come in after being referred by previous customers because how "thorough" we are in fitting their bifocals.

Perception is everything.
    Perhaps it's terminology from across the pond - what, may I ask, is a Y-Stick?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by standarduck View Post
    Perhaps it's terminology from across the pond - what, may I ask, is a Y-Stick?
    Here you go!

http://kaltechoptical.com/ystick.html

Video:

http://kaltechoptical.com/demonstration_video.html

https://shop.laramyk.com/measurement/y-stick/

Previous posts on the Y-Stick:

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=y-stick

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...hlight=y-stick
    Last edited by Fezz; 11-03-2014 at 09:22 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would love to hear more feedback about the various systems that are available.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    The Shamir spark is supposed to be good. Just stay away from the visio office.
    we use the visioffice. Whats not to love besides the size and the room you need to utilize most of its functions?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've found it to be to temperamental with how the person stands. On a when I used the same person and frame three times and got three wildly different results. Now granted most all of the Digital measuring devices are like that (having used the accufit some are much worse than others...*cough cough* bad idea LC...
    What gets me though are the extra steps it buts people through past the front side and 3/4 turn. I can't figure what the extras do for the lens that makes them so important. Now to get the wrap and panto it's not bad at all, the vertex I still do by hand.
    Also the cost is a thing if the office ever goes away from using Verilux.

Thread Information