Thread: coating lenses

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist

coating lenses

Did anyone know what is the best way to increase the hardeness (bayer test) of the coating ?

Is it using ionic assistance deposition in each layer of coating during the depositio process, or using another layer between HC and the AR coat like essilor is doing?

thanks

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by crixussteave View Post
    Did anyone know what is the best way to increase the hardeness (bayer test) of the coating ?

Is it using ionic assistance deposition in each layer of coating during the depositio process, or using another layer between HC and the AR coat like essilor is doing?

thanks
    To achieve the best possible bayer test is quite tricky. Please keep in mind that a Bayer test results consists of combination of HC + AR. So it means when you have pure performance of hard coating you can have the best AR coating on the market so Bayer results will be not perfect.
    Bayer test is the only one of tests which determinets the quality of Ar coating layer.
    Too high Bayer number (hardness) is also not good, because the coating could crack - and it cracks at least by Transitions lenses.

The easiest way is to find some AR or HC manufacturer who could you recommend the best possible combination.
    Personally i think, it has no sense to try to achieve the highest possible Bayer number, but to try achieve the coating when you have almost no customers claims (i suspect that your company is not leader on the market and probably never will be..)

I think that good way is to contact some HC leaders about the complex solution (SDC, Satisloh, Leybold etc.) Collect the information, do some measurements .. It is time consuming, but it is worth.

Keep in mind that Bayer test is the only one of a few most important way of coatings evaluation.

As i know, there is no additional layer required. There are on market better coatings in terms of Bayer as Essilor uses.
    using ionic assistance deposition in each layer - this is required, but not certainly for each layer.
    Last edited by essegn; 11-28-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The hardness of any AR coating is the same ......................................

The hardness of any AR coating is the same, as all of them are made with SIO2 (which is glass) and different metal oxides and in multiple layers.

The problem is more often a matter of adhesion to the underlying hard coat which might not be fully compatible.

Essilor did solve the problem by either stripping and or applying a hard coat material that is fully compatible, and their procedure seems to be better than many others.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Seiko Superior Coating

What is the best AR coating for Seiko Superior and is there any blue light cutting off coating available?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    In my opinion and what I learned, the only way to eliminate blue light, is by absorbing it with a special blue blocking tint and not by a blue reflecting coating.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

thanks
    The coating you mentioning between the base the hard coat is called primer. Primer is never ideal, but its a concession to increase adhesion when their are limitations with the hard coat. Not best, it doesn't help hardness (it may diminish it) but it does improve adhesion.

There are some hard coats that are Ion process reactive, but only in a full Ion gun chamber not a sputter type (like Satisloh). In one case the Bayer rating went from 3.8 to 9.1 after the AR process.

What that means is that it won't help Crizal or Essilor coatings since they are Satisloh machines. Leybold and Schneider are the only AR equipment manufacturers with Full Ionized gun machines.

But modern coaters don't use layers, they use tablets, one tablet contains the entire AR stack except for the top coat. The idea of layers is a myth that dies hard.

The best way to increase hardness though is to use the best HC, which is usually dip. The UltraOptics AST coating probably comes the closest in spin, and Gerber has a new coating but I don't have the numbers available for that... yet. Gerber has some smart people on the coating side so I would expect something great from them. Meeting them soon so I will update this when I have information they allow me to share.

Thread Information