Thread: Ear Pain

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Confused Ear Pain

Hello all- Am a bit at a loss-
    70 yr old woman with some posture issues (chin up and bit of a head tilt to R shoulder) received new multifocals (not first time )
    Vision wonderful- loves lenses and that sit properly and do not touch her lashes.
    Pain around right ear . MULTIPLE adjustments tighter/ looser curve of temple/same and different to old frame (metal halfframe- same as previous except previous a plastic temple which touches much more)

changed to a new frame to slightly wider

Never pain on left side

It is radiating (I know because the pain is not where anything is touching...)

How do I find where the end of this sensitive nerve is? I do not know enough anatomy ...)

Have had sensitive pts but I am at a loss and she wants to give up soon
    Thank you

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good one. Couple things you may want to try. Inspect the area and surrounding area to see if there are any sores or scars. Pressure on these would cause discomfort. If he has a head tilt to the right shoulder it could be muscular or skeletal. Perhaps a degenerative issue which might inflame nerve. You may want to inquire as to the nature of the issue. He might be very happy to talk about it but don't press him if hes reluctant. Next thing I might try is to straighten the temple so its like a library style temple (see most Oakley frames). This will change the contact point on the frame. It may look funny but its going to be much more comfortable. In my older age im more inclined to be comfortable then fashionable. Next you could try a Croaky or band in the back to change the contact points of the temples. This will be beneficial if you decide to straighten the temples so they don't slip off if not adjusted properly.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.4.gif 
Views:	56 
Size:	3.8 KB 
ID:	11410 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bayonet_Cable_Skull_300.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	11411

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I've had this. It is caused by pressure on the soft tissue directly above and slightly behind the ear where the frame temple sits.

Loosen the temple fit and install high quality silicone nose pads on the frame so the patient isn't relying on the temples to keep the frames on the face.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The mastoid tissue behind the ear is easily deformed (without pain, and pretty common), or painful with any pressure, when wearing glasses. Straightening the temple (as Mike A already said),or loosening it on the affected side. Also... just a suggestion - when she removes the glasses, is she doing it with a swipe of the right hand? (Instead of two hands) Hey - ya never know what those little things can do to vex people!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Optometrist
    She could be having medical problems, too, like temporal arteritis. If you can't easily fix it, refer it out.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi View Post
    . MULTIPLE adjustments tighter/ looser curve of temple/same and different to old frame (metal halfframe- same as previous except previous a plastic temple which touches much more)

Here's your problem. Match or close as possible the old comfortable temple design.

Oh---Shalom and welcome to Optiboard!!!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-15-2014 at 09:09 AM. Reason: tweak...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I recently had this happen and ended up restyling him to a every light frame with a bouncy titanium temple fit loose, he loved it! I think it was a Safilo Chestefield XL.....

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As per the OptiBoard Posting Guidelines:

This forum is for Eyecare Professionals. Consumers are allowed to post in the Just Conversation forum and non-optical topics only. Please be aware that any questions involving optics or eyecare may be removed. These kinds of questions should be discussed with a qualified eyecare professional who has examined you and is familiar with your situation.

All the professional Opticians on this site would love to help you solve your problems or answer your questions about your eye care and eye wear need! But vision and visual solutions can have thousands of correct as well as incorrect answers.

We care about your vision and visual needs so strongly that we must advise you to seek a professional in the eye care field. Only with in-person evaluation can you truly get a proper diagnosis. You PD and powers are simply not enough information to give you any kind of advice other than speculation. We are sure that you want the best in eye care, as we want for you. Please seek out someone that you can discuss your issues with in person.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information