Thread: Bailey N.elson in Gastown

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Bailey N.elson in Gastown

These guys seem to have come from nowhere. http://www.baileynelson.ca/boutiques/gastown.html

Essilor or Lux? They say their frames are made in the same place that Oliver Peoples frames are made.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    why e or l? maybe warby parker is cloning themselves. or someone thinks mimicking wp is a good business plan. not that imaginative!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    why e or l? maybe warby parker is cloning themselves. or someone thinks mimicking wp is a good business plan. not that imaginative!
    They're an internet start-up from Australia that's been around for about 2 years. I'd imagine that opening stores on an international playing field might require a pretty heavy player on the team. I don't see Warby Parker opening stores in other countries.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are going international, why not look for the location with the least amount of resistance. as a non-regulated province BC is a perfect test market location.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Lots of them and more at .............................

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

They're an internet start-up from Australia that's been around for about 2 years. I'd imagine that opening stores on an international playing field might require a pretty heavy player on the team. I don't see Warby Parker opening stores in other countries.

Retail Locations

Our retail spaces combine the snappy ease of online ordering with the fun and serendipity of real-life shopping (with a photo booth or two). We can’t wait to meet you!

FLORIDA

THE READERY

AT THE STANDARD SPA, MIAMI BEACH
    40 ISLAND AVENUE
    MIAMI, FL 33139
    [COLOR=#00AFFD !important] 888.492.7297
    SEE MORE >

[/COLOR]
    ILLINOIS

APARTMENT NUMBER 9

1804 NORTH DAMEN AVENUE
    CHICAGO, IL 60647
    [COLOR=#00AFFD !important] 773.395.2999
    SEE MORE >

[/COLOR]
    MASSACHUSETTS

NEWBURY ST.

83 NEWBURY STREET, 2ND FLOOR
    (BETWEEN BERKELEY AND CLARENDON)
    BOSTON, MA 02116
    [COLOR=#00AFFD !important] 508.658.7444

.............and more at -------------> http://ca.warbyparker.com/retail

[/COLOR]

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Um, Chris. Those are all located in the USA. BN is the first onliner to my knowledge that has opened up doors internationally. My money is on E. Same goes for Bon Look.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Um, Chris. Those are all located in the USA. BN is the first onliner to my knowledge that has opened up doors internationally. My money is on E. Same goes for Bon Look.
    I don't know about BN, but I am quite certain that E has no ownership in Bonlook. I figure that just like it did with CC, E will buy them out and make the founders real money. E is great at taking from loyal ECPs and their customers and giving golden parachutes to webby startups. Its the new way of getting rich - build a money losing eyeglass slinging website, and sell for huge windfall to E (or lux).

No, I am not bitter or jealous. Ok. maybe just a little bit. Meh.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Coastal was international and operated under different names.

The share holdings were very interesting as well.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Coastal was international and operated under different names.

The share holdings were very interesting as well.

What other countries does Coastal have brick and mortar stores in? I was fairly certain they've only opened a couple in Canada.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oddly enough I noticed that CC opened its first b/m in Sydney. This was after the Essilor buyout though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What other countries does Coastal have brick and mortar stores in? I was fairly certain they've only opened a couple in Canada.
    Some are listed here:

http://strategyonline.ca/2013/02/14/...-mortar-store/

The shareholdings would tell you an interesting story and perhaps explain Canada's blind eyes

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Is the Kingdom hiding something .........................

Quote Originally Posted by LatestFact

As of April 2014, New Look Eyewear operates 140 corporate stores, 75 under the New Look banner (Quebec and Ontario) and 65 under the Vogue Optical banner (Maritimes, Saskatchewan and British Columbia). Conjoined, the sister companies employ over 1.100 people, of which 350 are licensed opticians, and partner with 170 optometrists.
    The latest rumor is ....................I call it rumor, even that others have been eventually certified after starting in a similar way, :

.....................above mentioned stores have been and or are being instructed by their corporate head office, to stop purchasing from the Canadian Optical Accessory suppliers they have been buying from for years, and switch their purchases to the 2 US suppliers recently added to the E Kingdom.

What could that mean or indicate ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Some are listed here:

http://strategyonline.ca/2013/02/14/...-mortar-store/

The shareholdings would tell you an interesting story and perhaps explain Canada's blind eyes
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the info. I had no idea.
    if you don't know how to do it yourself, ask a stock broker to pull the SEC filings prior to the buyout and look at the shareholdings. its a good education, better than any CE credit course you will sit through

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    The latest rumor is ....................I call it rumor, even that others have been eventually certified after starting in a similar way, :

.....................above mentioned stores have been and or are being instructed by their corporate head office, to stop purchasing from the Canadian Optical Accessory suppliers they have been buying from for years, and switch their purchases to the 2 US suppliers recently added to the E Kingdom.

What could that mean or indicate ?
    You seem to be suggesting that NewLook might be owned or partly owned by E. NewLook is a public company so I guess any entity that has significant shareholdings would be public information. I don't believe that E owns any part of New Look (stock quote BCI.to) but I guess it is a possibility. They certainly do not promote Varilux or Crizal brands. They do promote their house brand and their stock on their website, not much else.

NewLook has successfully tapped the public markets, has plenty of other peoples money to spend and they probably do not need E's help at this stage. Just as with CC, their exit plan is possibly to sell the whole thing off to E in the end. Or L. They'll probably succeed.

Thread Information