Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Opticians, Canadians have questions. Can you help answer them?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by MT View Post
    The key individual associated with the main sponsor of the opticians council is? If you're implying it's me, you are so wrong. I have no money to sponsor anything.

The opticians council post is about sharing expertise with the public, and all that is happening is complaining about the source of money. Something that none of the public knows nor cares about. Read my post above
    Let's let the opticians council chime in with some clarification. Heck, this is their thread!

On a more positive note, happy thanksgiving everyone.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What would be the point in seeing what membership thinks? What matters is what your consumers think. They do not know about any of this. We as consumers also do not know the truths about all the products we buy (and i'm sure there's huge corruption involved in some of the products we buy).

Look at Dove, for example: http://bellejar.ca/2013/04/22/dove-d...eel-beautiful/. Consumers have long associated Dove for the opposite of what this article is saying. They are still doing very well as a company. You can find this with almost any successful organization, including Google, who's mandate is to "do no evil".

"What would be the point in seeing what membership thinks?"

You slay me ! Therein is the problem !!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    Let's let the opticians council chime in with some clarification. Heck, this is their thread!

On a more positive note, happy thanksgiving everyone.
    Yes, Happy Thanksgiving all!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    "What would be the point in seeing what membership thinks?"

You slay me ! Therein is the problem !!
    Please explain further what you mean. Perhaps what you see as the problem and what I see is the problem is different.

If it's about ethics/morality than I've explained enough my point of view

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I could have just found the ultimate answer .......................................

I just went on Google and asked the question and got the following answer:

asking Google

GOOGLE : why not to buy glasses on-line

answers: About 181,000,000 results (0.37 seconds)

Did you mean: Why not to buy glasses online

Why do we want to educate the consumer "why not to buy glasses online" when the worlds largest search engine finds 181 Million answers in a little over 30 seconds.

...................and many of these answers come with and from legitimate website addresses while OptiBoard has:

Quote Originally Posted by OptiBoard 2.45am

Members24,979Active Members982

There are currently 459 users online. 4 members and 455 guests
    ............where most of the active membership post's under an incognito signature.

I strongly believe that among these 181 Million answers will be many valid ones, you can take into consideration for your purpose to educate the consumer, why not to buy glasses online.

And then to finish I asked the following simple question:

asking Google

GOOGLE : why should we buy glasses on-line
    answers: About 139,000,000 results (0.38 seconds)

The argument is already 50 million answer ahead for the NOT TO BUY ONLINE side.

However predictions where that the online glasses sales would increase by about 7 millions in 2014 at the beginning of this year.

Are we not back to:
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-14-2014 at 02:23 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I just went on Google and asked the question and got the following answer:

Why do we want to educate the consumer "why not to buy glasses online" when the worlds largest search engine finds 181 Million answers in a little over 30 seconds.
    There's a distinct difference between educating on "why not to buy glasses online" and "why you should buy from an optician". The two are not mutually exclusive. The states have proven that opticians have been able to successfully sell optical products online. I don't think being anti-internet is the direction, it's more like pro-optician.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper internet optical s of which a large part is now owned by the worlds largest optical .

The states have proven that opticians have been able to successfully sell optical products online. I don't think being anti-internet is the direction, it's more like pro-optician.

As far as I learned, how can you be pro optician as far as the internet surfer is concerned, if the internet optical s of which a large part is now owned by the worlds largest optical manufacturer and supplier group to the opticians, is advertising the same goods at prices to the consumer at less than 50% of the official retail market.

In the new deflationary mode the world is switching to these days, they just might convince the consumer even more to look for good bargains on the web.

The internet is doing a lot of good by providing instant communication around the world in seconds.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    As far as I learned, how can you be pro optician as far as the internet surfer is concerned, if the internet optical s of which a large part is now owned by the worlds largest optical manufacturer and supplier group to the opticians, is advertising the same goods at prices to the consumer at less than 50% of the official retail market.

In the new deflationary mode the world is switching to these days, they just might convince the consumer even more to look for good bargains on the web.

The internet is doing a lot of good by providing instant communication around the world in seconds.
    Well you can be pro-optician by emphasizing the value an optician brings to the table? Do you actually think that opticians have no value or something? Right now, the consumer is only thinking about price in your scenario, but what if there are other factors?

You mention good bargains on the web which is true, but that means you're only focusing on the pricing benefits, and not the health benefits that opticians can provide.

If you're talking about the largest optical manufacturer owning the largest internet optical, I don't think the general public knows/thinks about that stuff. As an independent B&M, just provide value/educate your patients on where your value is and have them make the choice from there

Occupation

Redhot Jumper I don't think the general public knows/thinks about that stuff .....................

If you're talking about the largest optical manufacturer owning the largest internet optical, I don't think the general public knows/thinks about that stuff. As an independent B&M, just provide value/educate your patients on where your value is and have them make the choice from there.

MT ......................the young consumers have grown up with computers and lap tops and now surf the web on their pocket devices day and night. The older generation might not know and care. But in no time the middle age ones which are fully computer savvy will be the older generation in need of glasses in any corner of the globe, and they will know at what to look.

Industry is slowly moving from China to India. The large optical corporations have been prepared for that for many years.

The independent ECP's have to change their age old system and charge for their ability to solve problems and knowing how to function, instead of adding it all into their selling price ahead of the game which makes the product a lot more expensive than offered by the on liners which are selling the bare bones.

The largest corporation is preparing for the action world wide on the web
    and ignoring it is not very wise. The proof is right here listed at the bottom of this post .........all the websites of discount glasses sold by them.

There are right now at least 15 of them I have listed on my website with the links, I mentioned on a thread above. And here they are:

FramesDirect (Essilor USA)

evision.com, redirects to
    1800 Contacts.com

Clearly Contacts Canada (ESSILOR FRANCE)

Coastal Contacts-Glasses, (ESSILOR FRANCE)

Gkboptical.com India (Essilor- India)

Clearly Contact (Clearly Contacts)ESSILOR Australia)

Lensway.co.uk (Clearly Contacts UK, ESSILOR)

Contactsan (Clearly Contacts China. ESSILOR)

Clearly Contacts (Clearly Contacts,NewZealand, ESSILOR)

Lensway (Clearly Contacts, ESSILOR)

Yasui Lens (Clearly Contacts, Japan,ESSILOR)

MaxLens (Clearly Contacts) Japan, ESSILOR)

Myonlineoptical.com (ESSILOR Austin Tx setting up Opticians online)

CoastalLens (Clearly Contacts) Japan, ESSILOR)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris;

You have been crying wolf for some time now but I have to tell you (and you know) that the percentage of all prescription eyeglasses purchased online is about 4% in the U.S. Yes that's a lot of eyeglasses from a numbers perspective but I am not willing to change my business model and twist myself all out of shape for the 4% bottom-feeder part of the market. If this number spikes significantly I will certainly look at the way I do business closely. The small independents can change on a dime, it's the large corporations that have trouble shifting gears in a timely manner because of their size.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post

The small independents can change on a dime, it's the large corporations that have trouble shifting gears in a timely manner because of their size.

Golfnorth.....................That is a good attitude and at least you are watching the pros and the cons.

These days you have to watch a global trend and not only the USA or even Canada.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Chris;

You have been crying wolf for some time now but I have to tell you (and you know) that the percentage of all prescription eyeglasses purchased online is about 4% in the U.S. Yes that's a lot of eyeglasses from a numbers perspective but I am not willing to change my business model and twist myself all out of shape for the 4% bottom-feeder part of the market. If this number spikes significantly I will certainly look at the way I do business closely. The small independents can change on a dime, it's the large corporations that have trouble shifting gears in a timely manner because of their size.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Well said

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks MT;

I know from a previous post that you are 50% owner in an enterprise.
    What kind of optical business are you in?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Thread Information