Thread: High Minus New PAL user: best Progressive?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician

High Minus New PAL user: best Progressive?

This might be my first post

I have a conundrum: I have a patient with a high minus power who will be starting to wear progressives for the first time. I have read in that the Zeiss Individual might be the better option but I have never used it as well as going with a Poly 1.0. This is a VSP patient. My VSP lab has stated that they cannot do a Zeiss product. I have become very comfortable dispensing the basic Comfort with very good results; I have yet to get a non-adapt so that did it for me. Unfortunately it does not come in 1.74 which is also another goal- decrease edge thickness. The Physio does come in 1.74 but for some reason the patients seem to prefer the Comfort.

I want this patient to be extremely happy more so with the vision versus the aesthetics of the lenses but if I can get both then great. Any tried and true suggestions anyone can give?

Rx: -7.50 -1.50 x 150
    -9.50 -1.00 x 170
    ADD: +1.75

In case this helps:
    Frame is 45 eyesize and his eyes are pretty centered in the Lens (helping to decrease edge thickiness) CH 226
    B is 31
    ED is 45

I apologize in advance for possibly seeming inexperienced. My educational background is actually M.D. but I never got around to taking my boards (life got in the way). I have been working for an M.D. for 14 years as his assistant was pretty much trained in office by my a 45 year veteran in the business with a ABOM, FCLSA certification and got my NCLE certification two years ago. She was amazing but unfortunately she passed away this year before being able to continue with any advanced training. There have been other opticians here (old School and fabulous) that have provided great assistance as well but as things go, the MD decided to downsize and I was the only person to take over the optical-dispensing and managing it all aside from assisting him at times as well as the contact lens end of the practice. So all I have to go on is the knowledge they have bestowed along the way and my experience along the way for the past 5-10 years. This forum has been such a wonderful asset to me. I want to thank you all for being so awesome.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have great success with Autograph II in 1.74 with a 1.5 center thickness.
    The Auto III does not come in 1.74.

You could use a lens that uses an IOT design also, if its VSP you could use the Unity PLXTRA. Again the Camber based tech lens the PLXPRESSION, which is fantastic, doesn't come in the 1.74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also if you go the 1.74 route, make sure to CONFIRM with the lab that they can do a 1.5 center thickness in 1.74.

If not you are wasting money. If they send you a 1.74 lens in that RX with a 2.0 center thickness it will be worthless.

Also if you choose a Progressive without a Variable corridor, ie: one you have to choose the corridor length, choose one AT LEAST 4 mm shorter than the seg height. so for an 18 seg, use a 14 mm corridor.

that is all.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I have also heard that the Seiko lenses are pretty darn good and much thinner. Any word on these? I have yet to use them

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dv View Post
    I have also heard that the Seiko lenses are pretty darn good and much thinner. Any word on these? I have yet to use them
    Yes they are good, but I haven't used the newest iterations, many on here have and love them. I don't think you can get much thinner than an Auto II 1.74 with a 1.5 center thickness. I see you are in DC, I use Homer Optical for my high minus jobs because they can get a specified 1.5 center thickness for me every time.

They only do essilor stuff nowadays though, so I use Physio DRX, Auto II or Physio enhanced when I do use them. I suppose you could use the Comfort DRX.

Luzerne optical does Seiko, and I love me some Three Rivers optical for free form PALs, but they will not do a 1.5 center on 1.74 so its a no go for me with them on very high minus.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by dv View Post
    Seiko lenses work great for High Myopes. Myopes have an issue with long entries, and eat up power in the corridor. They also tend to prefer harder designs where the power comes up quickly. The Seiko Superior Balance or the Seiko Supercede would be 2 T shapes I would try. The Surmount WS works decently as well if you need more computer zone. Asian designed lenses tend to shave off less add power than European designed lenses which tends to favor high myopes. However, the Shamir Auto 3 version will reduce this drop and depending on sphere power. Check the near PDs as well before ordering. Myopes often have lower convergence in high powers and that could favor the Seiko Superior Balance if their convergence difference (Total near, vs Total Distance PD) is less than 3.5mm total.

Thread Information