Thread: Players?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Angry Players?

Are there ANY OTHER players in the optical mfg game beside those (at least partially)owned by Essilor,Hoya and Zeiss?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tx11 View Post
    Are there ANY OTHER players in the optical mfg game beside those (at least partially)owned by Essilor,Hoya and Zeiss?
    Sure there is. most of the time the pricing is not as favorable as with the big 3. there is one exception that I have found. Luzerrne Optical in Wilks-Barre, Pa. you can contact Judy Canty via pm here. I think she is a Rep for them. Pesch is also another great indy lab.
    Paul:cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    Sure there is. most of the time the pricing is not as favorable as with the big 3. there is one exception that I have found. Luzerrne Optical in Wilks-Barre, Pa. you can contact Judy Canty via pm here. I think she is a Rep for them. Pesch is also another great indy lab.
    Yes.. but aren't the majority of their products (if not all) mfg'd by Essilor owned, Hoya owned, or Zeiss owned companies?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.stantonoptical.com/

I applied for a job there a few years back to work in the lab. Nice bunch, hard working.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes.. but aren't the majority of their products (if not all) mfg'd by Essilor owned, Hoya owned, or Zeiss owned companies?
    They can get about anything you wish, but i like their own propitiatory stuff such as the Sight Star 365, its a free form progressive, and in my not so humble opinion, one of the finest lens that i have had the pleasure of using. Nexus vision is another lab that is a independent and is using free form tech.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Iot & Augen to name 2 more.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    vision-ease

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes, I'm the VA rep for Luzerne Optical, the largest single location family owned independent lab in the US. BTW, Pech is not independent. It was purchased by Essilor in 2007.

Luzerne can supply lenses from almost any vendor available in the US. Certainly it includes the majors, i.e., Essilor, Zeiss, Hoya, Shamir and Seiko, but also Vision Ease and Younger. We have our own in-house brands, SightStar, SightStar365, FreeFocus and CrownView free form in glass. We produce Crizal and Zeiss AR treatments in-house, as well as our proprietary EVC and BlueScreen treatments. We have our own RGP lab in-house and a proprietary RGP lens, DuraCurve. We also have a very robust Safety Eyewear program and some nice niche products like PhotoFashion photochromic lenses.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Judy Canty;494281. BTW, Pech is not independent. It was purchased by Essilor in 2007.[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the info!i was not aware of this. Luzerne has been a great lab for us and i would suggest anyone give them a shot if your looking for a true Indy lab

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can vouch for Luzerne also. Great product, their SightStars. As Judy has said, they can get just about anything. I've known my local rep, Paul Dumraese, for many years and am glad he's with them (and no longer with the lab he used to be with!).

Judy, next time you talk to Paul, ask him where he got his red socks!
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whose design is the Luzurne House PALs ? (did I ask that correctly?)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    SmartOD.com

If you would like to receive Lenses and Frames at Huge Savings this is it. We have a fairly new website, but we are growing extremely fast! If anyone is on the fence about trying a new player, ask me about the gift certificate for a personal pair of lenses.

Adam@SmartOD.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whose design is the Luzurne House PALs ? (did I ask that correctly?)
    I'm not sure Tx11, im sure if you call them at 1-800-525-9637 and ask for the lab manager I'm sure they can answer your question. From my understanding, when a lab buys a free form generator they are then able to purchase the pattern (for the lack of a better term) for different PAL's. These pattern will be name brand,for example Phyiso and generic such as sightstar.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I work for Luzerne as a tech rep. I've never been told formally who actually designs our house brand lenses. Nor would I announce it here as my employers obviously would like to keep it confidential. Although they are designed for us we did have input as to what features we wanted in a lens. If you read between the lines a bit you can reach some logical conclusions as to the manufacturers they are at least modeled after. I know I have my suspicions. But all that aside, I can tell you that I have no problem reccomending them. Working for a true independant I am free to reccomend what I feel is best for any given situation - not just Essilor's best solution, Zeiss' best etc. And if an account wants to wade into digital at a lesser price point than name brand stuff - our house brand product is effective and reliable. It even solves some problems that name brand product cannot do. I have fit my own customers into it when I dispense. I'm trying hard here to not be a commercial for where I work- as I consider it inappropriate for this forum. But I believe in it strongly enough to dispense it myself. It works.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The tech rep for the lab does not know what design is used for house FF progressive...?!?? Strange....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Confidentiality wouldn't make sense Lenny? I could draw my own conclusions - but in the end I respect the wishes of my employer. Wouldn't you expect the same?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm trying to figure out why it makes a difference. If the product works as advertised, the price is right, the service is there, then what else matters?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Only matters if somebody DOES NOT WANT TO FUND THE BIG GUYS IN ANY WAY.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is no need to SHOUT. I can say that using our in-house products will not have you colluding with the big boys, just competing.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry Judy I didn't realize I was shouting...lol...BUT now I know how to shout in print...thanks

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    tx11- sent PM

Thread Information