Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attention managment

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Attention managment

Dear management,

I am writing this letter to you from the comfort and anonymity I enjoy behind this screen. This letter is in response to situations that happen far too often. The case I present today is when you stopped me in the hall and asked me how much I made on the sale that you handed me.

Stop time for a moment. Yes, you are the doctor and it is your responsibility, among other responsibilities, to plant the seeds of knowledge in the patients hands. You also inform them about products and services that would suit them best.

Fast forward to the hand off. You then inform me, your employee, what you and the patient have spoken about and what your expectations are. It is now my responsibility to guide the patient using my product knowledge, customer service skills and fashion consciousness to ensure the patient has everything they need to fulfill not only your instructions, but the needs of the patient. We, your staff, understand that some patients need hand holding and it takes a village. We certainly appreciate the time you devote helping the patient to find products that they may, or in some cases may not need outside of the exam room.

The patient in this case has the need for a frame, lenses for that frame and lenses for her sunglasses. After putting the patient in front of me I was able to convince her that she looked FANTASTIC in the frame you, the doctor, picked out and very professional in the frame that she liked (she did). I poured two solid hours of time reassuring her that she was making an informed decision by purchasing 1000 dollars worth of glasses.

Fast forward to the Dr. stopping me in the hall.

Doctor: "How much did you make on that sale?"

Me: "1000 dollars Dr."

Doctor(with wide eyes and a big grin):"YOURWELCOME! I have the magic touch!" She said with a flourish of her hands and a snap of her finger. (true story bro)

Stop time. At this point a list of possible responses overlays in a Terminator 1 style augmented reality in my field of vision and I chose " Thank you Dr. it was a great sale."

Heres the reality of this situation. How much did I make? 20 dollars. How much did YOU make on that sale? Well, I could give you the profit margins to the penny on almost any sale in the office so I know exactly how much you made.

YOURWELCOME DR.......YOURWELCOME......

I present this situation to you to remind everyone in a management position that your words have a very powerful impact on the people you manage. Yes there are lots of different management styles available, and it's nice to be important but more importantly, it's important to be nice.

Perhaps a hey, thanks for spending time with that patient, you did a great job on that sale, good team effort , or awesome work might have been more appropriate instead of taking credit for something you had a small hand in. Angry am I? No, thankful I have a job I am. She writes my checks and I am happy to choose positive responses from the list of possible responses available to me. She is fortunate that I thrive on neglect.

Please, management, be kind to your staff. Appreciate them and they will appreciate you for it. Your staff will love and protect your business if you are fair and kind to them.
    Remember, the stones at the bottom of the mountain are just as important as the stones at the top, for without them there would be no mountain.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4410833284_36695f836e.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	11371
    Thanks for listening.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    A good Boss/Manager/Doctor only pays their employees the minimum amount for them to not quit.

Not everyone is/works for a motivational leader/manager.
    Some expect perfection and excellent each and every time.

I worked for minimum wage for a one-man owner of a gas station that used to joke about deducting tips out of my hourly wage.

If you think you're worth more, ask for it.
    If you don't get what you want by asking.
    Quit and find someone that will pay you what you think you're worth.
    That is the fastest way to get salary advancements in almost any consumer based field.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Be the Rock Star at the top of the mountains.

If you worked at the right place:
    Two hours of your time might be worth $45 to $75.
    Full benefits for you and your family.
    No Dr to praise on a daily basis.

What you'll need:
    ABO-NCLE and State Certificate.
    Ability to work 7-days a week and evening's.
    Ability to turn 20‰ multiples all day.
    Have super customer service skills.
    Motivation to make a change for yourself.

Good luck,

Philip

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    at least you get a commission from that. I don't =/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by iD View Post
    at least you get a commission from that. I don't =/
    We don't make commission, its hourly. That's a blessing and a curse.

I think the point may have been missed here.

"If you think you're worth more, ask for it.
    That is the fastest way to get salary advancements in almost any consumer based field."

It's not about what we think we're worth, or how much we make, or even what we do as a job. If you are in a position of power, wield it conscientiously. Make an effort. The people under you will work much harder if your strong, and temper that strength with fairness, kindness and wisdom.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    We don't make commission, its hourly. That's a blessing and a curse.

I think the point may have been missed here.

"If you think you're worth more, ask for it.
    That is the fastest way to get salary advancements in almost any consumer based field."

It's not about what we think we're worth, or how much we make, or even what we do as a job. If you are in a position of power, wield it conscientiously. Make an effort. The people under you will work much harder if your strong, and temper that strength with fairness, kindness and wisdom.

my bad, I misunderstood. I thought it was just a really low percentage of commissions that you got. But now I understand.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My boss doesn't ever say much unless something is NOT going right..... when there's no news, it's good news.
    She told me that when her kids were in school if they got all A's, she would ask why not A+'s? LOL.
    I don't take it personally and I love my job. And my boss.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    My boss doesn't ever say much unless something is NOT going right..... when there's no news, it's good news.
    She told me that when her kids were in school if they got all A's, she would ask why not A+'s? LOL.
    I don't take it personally and I love my job. And my boss.
    Exactly.
    Not to be mean.

But a manager in general(not just optical), is not there to be your cheerleader or your friend.

They are there to make sure:
    You do your job
    You are paid for the work you do
    You show up for work(scheduling)
    You have the tools/training required to do your job safely/efficiently
    You don't quit

And that's in addition to making sure profits are always positive, inventory is being accounted for, checks and balances are in order.

Don't take it personal/negative if they expect excellence, and don't reward you or praise you.

Like I said, it is your responsibility to make sure you are properly compensated for the work you do.

Some of the best managers I've had were not friendly at all, but they did their job well and that allowed me and my coworkers to also do our job well.

edit:
    Hope that didn't come off too harsh,
    But if you're going to search/hope for a good manager that is also your friend. You may be disappointed for the majority of your career.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the contemporary world of management, these folks must also be leaders to be successful. They manage people, who are the most important asset we have, so they may not be friendly, but you know something.......if they are not, they will eventually fail. Good managers get to know their staff and what makes them tick so they can motivate them to reach beyond the minimum requirements of their positions. They are the folks who set the tone. Much has been written about the importance of positive reinforcement and leadership in the Millennial generation and beyond. A kind word, and a pat on the back mean a lot.......even when monetary rewards are not possible. Unfortunately in the optical world, there is little respect for education, so we expect folks to take on responsibilities they are ill-prepared to handle. Managers and leaders are not often born with the tools required to be effective, and must develop the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be effective in their positions.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I was first hired here, there was a commission structure in place. After a few months, I talked to the Doc and asked him to pay me a fair wage and cut out the commission. I am the only optician here. The reason I did this is because I don't believe there should be any reason that a patient should be sold something that they don't need just so an optician can get more money. We here pride ourselves in giving the patient the best possible service and giving them the best lenses that they NEED. Case in point, I don't sell transition lenses to a person who is 90 years old and living in a care facility and almost never goes outside. I don't sell a roofer a pair of lenses with cheap AR coating on them (or premium for that matter) just to put a few more bucks in my pocket. And the list goes on. The lack of a commission and the payment of a good wage allows me to completely evaluate the patients needs and WANTS and go from there with no need to try to sell them a 1.60 hi index lens when their Rx is a -1.00 sphere OU, just so I can get more money. If I needed a commission to be able to "sell" then I really don't belong in a place that is really a Medical Environment.

Anyways, that's how I see it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    \ I don't believe there should be any reason that a patient should be sold something that they don't need just so an optician can get more money. If I needed a commission to be able to "sell" then I really don't belong in a place that is really a Medical Environment.
    I couldn't agree more +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mervinek View Post
    \ I don't believe there should be any reason that a patient should be sold something that they don't need just so an optician can get more money. If I needed a commission to be able to "sell" then I really don't belong in a place that is really a Medical Environment.

I couldn't agree more +1
    That should include letting people have access to their PDs, Rxs and CL specs.

B

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hmmm... Seems like a scenario that hit you pretty personally. Some people in your shoes might not have felt as peeved (or even mad at all). You are what you make of yourself, and no one forces you to be in your current situation no matter what it may be. You're as free as a bird.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    In the contemporary world of management, these folks must also be leaders to be successful. They manage people, who are the most important asset we have, so they may not be friendly, but you know something.......if they are not, they will eventually fail. Good managers get to know their staff and what makes them tick so they can motivate them to reach beyond the minimum requirements of their positions. They are the folks who set the tone. Much has been written about the importance of positive reinforcement and leadership in the Millennial generation and beyond. A kind word, and a pat on the back mean a lot.......even when monetary rewards are not possible. Unfortunately in the optical world, there is little respect for education, so we expect folks to take on responsibilities they are ill-prepared to handle. Managers and leaders are not often born with the tools required to be effective, and must develop the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be effective in their positions.
    Well said, and 100% true. Doctors rarely went into the field aspiring to be managers or leaders. But they live in a service economy world just like the rest of us, and these skills are just plain important...and that's to say it'll cost you if you don't demonstate them. An employee of CN's skill and drive is an assett. If he feels unappreciated, he's going to need more money to stay. Good leadership skills will inspire loyalty that has a certain (if imprecisely gauged) dollar value. Otherwise, maybe he's a few steps closer to browsing the ads, talking with colleagues about other doctors, and keeping his ear to the ground for a home where he'll feel more appreciated.

If you have a thicker skin, that's fine...but the thread is "attn: mgt"--and mgt. should heed it. The average cost of a turnover is equivelent to an annual salary for the position in question. (We're not even talking about the skill and training that he's accumulated that walks out the door with him.) So read the Myers-Brigg book like your teacher/consultant told you to and figure out the 'types' that are different from you so you can make use of (and retain) them all. The natural born toe-steppers and brusque lone wolfs who think they can build an empire with self-indulgent egos are a few decades behind the lit: how you treat employees are how your employees treat customers. Do you, mgt, really think you're securing a competitive position by running off the CN's with your flatulent personality you can get away with just 'cos you own the place?

That odor lingers. It builds. And it can be hard to excise from the lobby. By the time the doc's starts to get a glimmer of awareness of the problem, half his/her career is over and appointment slots are harder to fill than it seems like they should be.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    When I was first hired here, there was a commission structure in place. After a few months, I talked to the Doc and asked him to pay me a fair wage and cut out the commission. I am the only optician here. The reason I did this is because I don't believe there should be any reason that a patient should be sold something that they don't need just so an optician can get more money. We here pride ourselves in giving the patient the best possible service and giving them the best lenses that they NEED. Case in point, I don't sell transition lenses to a person who is 90 years old and living in a care facility and almost never goes outside. I don't sell a roofer a pair of lenses with cheap AR coating on them (or premium for that matter) just to put a few more bucks in my pocket. And the list goes on. The lack of a commission and the payment of a good wage allows me to completely evaluate the patients needs and WANTS and go from there with no need to try to sell them a 1.60 hi index lens when their Rx is a -1.00 sphere OU, just so I can get more money. If I needed a commission to be able to "sell" then I really don't belong in a place that is really a Medical Environment.

Anyways, that's how I see it.
    That's another reason why I love my job! That is the way it should be!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper in the optical world, there is little respect for education .........................

originally posted by wmcdonald]

Unfortunately in the optical world, there is little respect for education, so we expect folks to take on responsibilities they are ill-prepared to handle. Managers and leaders are not often born with the tools required to be effective, and must develop the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be effective in their positions.

A manager is the closest employee to the boss or owner, and is responsible for most of what is happening in the business, like how much "we made on this job or how little " and is responsible for it plus a lot more.

After having gone through the optical education mill in Europe, I deided to also tackle commercial education from managing to sales.

I never wanted to become a manager for nobody in this world, that was not for me. I wanted to become the boss. The first was a small company, one office person and myself out on the road selling frames. Every company has it ups and downs and I lived with it and through it. We added more and more products and people and even some branches.
    During these days there was never a manager in my business, I was the ultimate guy whose mistakes could cost my company big time or if we were lucky I would be the one that made it happen by treating the employees the right way.

If anybody who is actually an able manager should think about giving it a shot, and get some needed commercial education and then go it alone and take a chance on his ability and education and he might just also succeed with some patience and sacrifice.
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 10-01-2014 at 12:36 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Dear management,

I am writing this letter to you from the comfort and anonymity I enjoy behind this screen. This letter is in response to situations that happen far too often. The case I present today is when you stopped me in the hall and asked me how much I made on the sale that you handed me.
    If you're not happy there, you should find another job. What are you waiting for!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    That should include letting people have access to their PDs, Rxs and CL specs.

B
    I have absolutely no problem with giving patients their Rx or CL Rx along with the specs. We tell them we will match the price of the CL's if it is in our power to do so. Most times we can, other times, the price online is less than what we pay for them.

We don't need to match price on our progressive lenses because we sell nothing but premium free form progressives and when we committed to this strategy, we decided to take the profit we were getting from the regular progressives and made it our profit margin for the free form. Needless to say, nobody comes close to us in price. And giving an Rx to a person who is in, say, the Seiko Surmount who has a -1.75 cyl in both eyes and now wants to go into a Navigator ... more power to them. (They'll be back)

Now for the PD. If the doctor does the PD as part of the exam, and the patient has paid for that exam, then the PD should be free. Our doctor does not, so the PD becomes a proprietary part of the measurement for lenses for glasses. The patient pays for the exam but does not pay for anything else, so, we do charge a minimal fee to do the PD for the patient. We also have a policy that if the patient has purchased frames from us, then replacement of nosepads for that frame is free while the frame itself is under warranty. Outside warranty, we charge a nominal fee and if the frame was not purchased from us, we also charge a nominal fee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't believe the amount of responses that are telling the OP to just leave if they are unhappy. Like it's that simple. Gosh we are such a bunch a judgemental jerks sometimes.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dear Optiboard,

Thank you for providing a platform to express such a wide variety of comments and opinions. It's refreshing to see the vast spectrum of knowledge that this forum makes available. What a think tank have we! I am both honored and humbled to be a part of something much bigger then myself and thank you all for opportunity share thoughts, opinions and ideas such as this.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chaotic: Sure, the doc helped by making recommendations but that is all she did. How many opticians could have carried the recommendations through to the part where the patient hands over the thousand bucks? YOU did the heavy lifting.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Chaotic: Sure, the doc helped by making recommendations but that is all she did. How many opticians could have carried the recommendations through to the part where the patient hands over the thousand bucks? YOU did the heavy lifting.

Who's name is on the lease?
    Who paid for the equipment?
    Who pays for opticians CE's?
    Who pays the lab bill?
    Who writes the check to the frame manufactures?
    Who graduated college with $200k+ in debt, then spent the next 5-10 years paying it off, making a reputation for themselves, working the frontline for someone else, on top of which, saved up enough money to start a private practice.

Opticians need optometrists, and vice versa, but if you aren't the one fronting the bill,
    you are just an employee.

edit:
    im really sorry if my posts in this thread are a little blunt and harsh,
    but retail optical is a great industry.
    Talk to any car salesman, or anyone who has worked retail before.

Imagine working for less than minimum wage, getting only 1% commission, and having to fight for sales with your coworkers. That's the reality of most retail sales jobs. I witnessed a car salesman come into a big chain optical, and wipe the floor with everyone, including the manager. He doesn't work in optical anymore. But there are others in other fields that work a lot harder for a lot less.

But yes I agree, management could always be nicer/more encouraging.
    But I'm pretty sure that's a two way street.
    At the end of the day, managers/optometrists are people too.
    Last edited by ml43; 10-09-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone can be replaced.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Wow...
    +1, I just want to say thanks to my Doctors for the employment opportunity.

Thread Information