Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attention managment

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=ml43;494877]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post

no worries, this isn't about respect.
    this is about opinions and solutions to problems we face in industry.

keep in mind, there are many of us in industry that don't work for doctors.

IMO, ophthalmic dispensing is just dressed up as healthcare. sure it's a medical device. but the way we sell a lot of things is more retail than it is medical.

And the way many optical's are run, numbers are everything, not necessarily doing what's best for the patient.

granted the medical industry as a whole has shifted to this model over the past few years. but you don't see your local pharmacist or pharmacy tech complaining that their boss stole their sale or pride.

that's a pure retail problem. not a medical or healthcare problem.
    I understand completely; did my time in corporate with over 1/3 of my income off of commission. I had the good fortune of being in a well run corner with a conscientious manager, and even then it could get catty and sloppy. Bear in mind, any doctor's office can have those same issues balancing...some do it better than others. Either way, when these retail climate isn't governed well, it is a health care problem all the more.

Thanks for your reply--clarifies your original comment. Don't really think we disagree on where the bear sits.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Corporate managers in NC are paid well, and it is not unusual to see 60-65K. Opticians in the stores are in the 40-50K range. You may also want to review the NAO and other salary data which will back that up. Average salaries in the nation are 40+. I am unaware of anywhere.......even in California that Opticians only make 10.00 an hour. That is a shame if it is true, but the data does not support it. As to your understanding of management.......it certainly is not reflected in your posts. And finally, I see Opticians in a health care world, while others here disagree. Another reason branding just is not possible. We are too divergent in thought.
    Keep in mind you are comparing salaries of a licensed state to the rest of the U.S.

In California, anyone with a high school diploma that passes the ABO/NCLE can become licensed.
    Therefore the average starting pay for a licensed optician at a national chain(i.e. walmart, costco, LC, etc..) is only $12/hr
    Most retail managers start at $40k and corporate managers start around $50k

Most private practice opticians start at $14/hr plus commission.

The NAO won't have enough data, because all corporate pay is technically confidential.

As for my understanding of management, in this case, I believe you are arguing your idea of management, or how you see management run, or how it should be run.

I'm telling you how management is run on the front line.
    I've worked for 3 Fortune 500 companies, in two different states for the past 7 years.
    I've had over 30 different managers, most of which did not have a business management degree.

I understand you have your beliefs on how management should be run,
    I'm telling you how retail management is run, not how I think it should be run.

As for opticians being part of healthcare,
    Yes and no, depends on the environment.
    But if we're talking straight up dispensing. That's retail
    It's the reason frame stylist and whatever they are called now days out number opticians by a large number.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    [QUOTE=Hayde;494882]
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post

I understand completely; did my time in corporate with over 1/3 of my income off of commission. I had the good fortune of being in a well run corner with a conscientious manager, and even then it could get catty and sloppy. Bear in mind, any doctor's office can have those same issues balancing...some do it better than others. Either way, when these retail climate isn't governed well, it is a health care problem all the more.

Thanks for your reply--clarifies your original comment. Don't really think we disagree on where the bear sits.

Yeah, I agree, managers, owners, doctors could all do a better job.

But, the best way to attempt to make that happen is action, not words.
    When you tell your boss you are going to leave or quit.
    That's normally the biggest wake-up call for them, and that's normally when they are willing to listen to what issues you have, and what they can do to resolve them.

If you have a good manager(very rare in this day and age), then maybe you wont have to take it that far.
    But from what I have seen, the employees that get treated the best, get what they want, and are paid the most,
    are the ones who quit, or transfer, then come back with better terms, higher pay, etc...

If it works on a corporate level, I don't see how it won't work in a private practice setting,
    given you are as good as you think you are.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Academy's data, my own published research, and several others support my information. You work in a lab environment, and had 3 different jobs in 7 years upon which you base your assumptions. That is all any of us can base our views, so I will try to convince you no further. You are a lab rat it seems, which is why you experience more directive management. Most employed in labs are like other less-educated folks, and need direction at a higher level. I encourage you to look beyond your own back yard to learn more. You may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    Keep in mind you are comparing salaries of a licensed state to the rest of the U.S.

In California, anyone with a high school diploma that passes the ABO/NCLE can become licensed.
    Therefore the average starting pay for a licensed optician at a national chain(i.e. walmart, costco, LC, etc..) is only $12/hr
    Most retail managers start at $40k and corporate managers start around $50k

Most private practice opticians start at $14/hr plus commission.

The NAO won't have enough data, because all corporate pay is technically confidential.

As for my understanding of management, in this case, I believe you are arguing your idea of management, or how you see management run, or how it should be run.

I'm telling you how management is run on the front line.
    I've worked for 3 Fortune 500 companies, in two different states for the past 7 years.
    I've had over 30 different managers, most of which did not have a business management degree.

I understand you have your beliefs on how management should be run,
    I'm telling you how retail management is run, not how I think it should be run.

As for opticians being part of healthcare,
    Yes and no, depends on the environment.
    But if we're talking straight up dispensing. That's retail
    It's the reason frame stylist and whatever they are called now days out number opticians by a large number.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    The Academy's data, my own published research, and several others support my information. You work in a lab environment, and had 3 different jobs in 7 years upon which you base your assumptions. That is all any of us can base our views, so I will try to convince you no further. You are a lab rat it seems, which is why you experience more directive management. Most employed in labs are like other less-educated folks, and need direction at a higher level. I encourage you to look beyond your own back yard to learn more. You may be surprised.
    I am willing to read any and all research you are willing to provide.
    I am sure others here would like to be enlightened as well.

As for your own assumptions, I don't only work in a lab.
    I understand your stigma about lab people, and I will agree that most people who work in a lab
    are ill informed on modern management techniques.

I have also worked as a licensed professional in another field, for a fortune 500 company, at a location that was at the time, the largest in the nation.
    I've had meetings with regional and corporate managers every quarter, for the best part of 4 years.

Like I said, I believe you are arguing ideals and how things should be run.

I'm telling you how management is currently run(In the states I've worked in).
    Is it problem, maybe.
    Could it be run better, of course.

So we are back at square one, change management, or change yourself.

edit:
    you can pm me with any comments/discussions directed at me.
    I'd like to not clutter this topic anymore than it already has been.
    I've tried to keep it on topic, but it seems we are straying further and further away from it.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Anyone can be replaced.
    I've always lived by that philosophy, my greatest service to any employer is making sure I can be replaced easily. If I'm' not just a cog in the wheel I become an Achilles heel to the business.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    In the words of Charles Barkley "I'm not here to be a role model".

Folks need to figure out what makes their superiors tick and do what ever they can to make them satisfied. Folks need to understand it's the "managements'" responsibility to fulfill the ownerships' requests, that's how management remain employed and can take care of their families. Go above and beyond to satisfy your manager and they will leave you alone.

Someone said that healthcare ends when the pat's leave the OD/OMD office, in Florida Opticians are regulated by the Department of Health and are considered healthcare professionals.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeOptics View Post
    I've always lived by that philosophy, my greatest service to any employer is making sure I can be replaced easily. If I'm' not just a cog in the wheel I become an Achilles heel to the business.
    My goal as an owner, from day one, has been to be easily replaceable as well. It frees me up, but it also spreads more responsibility among the employees.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow page three, cool!

I am excited to see the vast array of management strategies from hardcore 1950 Jonah Jameson “YOUR FIRED!” technique to the “Come on people now, smile on your brother everybody get toghter try to love one another right now” Hug a tree method of nurturing. What’s right? What’s wrong? What works best? To those questions I say God bless the flexible for they bend and do not break.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2316230-jjj_colour_flat_lres.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	11421
    Since were in the spirit of sharing Id like to offer the method of accountability that I was taught. This has been used at fortune 500 companies and some of you may be familiar with it. I attended the lecture series 15 or so years ago and still use it as a sort of gold standard that I hold myself to.

It’s called the OZ principle. This is a method of taking personal responsibility. It’s very simple and for those that have not heard of it ill give you a brief explanation.

Imagine a line.
    Above the line are – See it, Own it, Solve it and Do it.
    Below the line are crippling attitudes like Cover your tail, Wait and see, confusion/tell me what to do/ my favorite is It’s not my job, followed closely by ignore/deny. There’s also finger pointing and cover your tail.
    It’s very simple. See the problem, make it your own, solve the problem and then implement that solution. If everyone in the company is on board with this philosophy, things run smooth as snot on glass (minus the chunks)

If we embrace the attitudes below the line, as you can image, that’s when problems are created. Hey, it’s not my job Hoss, she did it not me! I don’t see a problem at all let’s wait and see what happens. Of course we all know there’s at least one drama drum in the group. The point here is if everyone keeps it above the line then everyone is taking personal responsibility for their actions and are therefore accountable for the results. There's so much more to it but this is the basic paradigm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oz-Principle-Diagram.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	11420

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    The first Fortune 500 company I worked for lumped all of that into "integrity"

it was their work place motto for all departments, top to bottom.
    from corporate management to loss prevention and human resources.

it worked, until they downsized all departments to the point of breaking.
    Then all hell broke loose, and the CEO sold out and jumped ship, along with a lot of upper management.

Thread Information