Thread: No Shows at VEW

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No Shows at VEW

We all know how expensive it is to show at VEW, and each year the vendors are making do with smaller spaces, in order to cut their costs. There are always a few no shows, but this year, I was surprised to see some regulars no-show.

My List Included:

Charmant
    Asia Pacific
    Maui Jim

Did you notice any other absences?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper We all know how expensive it is to show at VEW ......................................

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    We all know how expensive it is to show at VEW, and each year the vendors are making do with smaller spaces, in order to cut their costs. There are always a few no shows, but this year, I was surprised to see some regulars no-show.

My List Included:

Charmant
    Asia Pacific
    Maui Jim

Comparing the cost of going to exhibit at these shows with having a fairly well visited year round website, the choice goes clearly to the website.

Having done 3 shows a year from 1981 to 2001, renting a small double booth and attending with 3 people, the average total cost was around $ 10,000 to $ 13,000 per show.

By 2001 I had more visitors to my website on a daily basis than we got during 3 days at these shows, and they spent more time on it than they did at these shows, and all at a fraction of the cost.

Also since they are having these shows in many countries overseas and in South America these people do not come anymore to the ones in the USA and these events are now degraded to a local status.

Today with way over a 1000 optical websites on the internet you have the biggest optical exhibition at your fingertips and they pop up instantly as wanted, at no charge, and without any displacement at high cost.

The cost of such events have to be calculated into the products you are selling as they are part of pricing products.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I noticed my absence. Irrespective of my pleas to the boss to send me at the company's expense he would not. Cheapskate!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For an even longer list of no-shows, check out this facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/LOFTLV

I attended the Thursday night party on the rooftop of the Madarin, and it was very well attended. Much classier than the Marchon party (I suppose, as I didn't attend, but have in the past). Although there were a few young ladies swimming (new term: swimming dresses), I think it was only to "cool off", and they entered/exited the pool on their own terms.

The limos shuttling buyers to and from the venue during the day was another stick in the eye to VEW. When I asked a show floor vendor if any effort had been made to dissuade vendors from moving off-site, he only noted that the fees were again increased. Smaller booths...all around.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Lets go a little further .................................

So there was an other optical show in competition at the same time:

FT LV

LOFT LV is the exclusive home of independent luxury eyewear in Las Vegas this September

September 18-20 2014

Mandarin Oriental
    3752 S Las Vegas Blvd
    Las Vegas NV 89109

LOFT LV, the independent luxury eyewear show that debuted in Las Vegas last September is back stronger again in 2014.
    Featuring an expanded vendor list, LOFT LV will boast 37 luxury independent collections at the spectacular Mandarin Oriental Hotel on the Las Vegas strip. The exclusive show will be presented on 2 floors of the hotel featuring stunning views of the strip and surrounding mountains.
    LOFT LV will welcome several new designers including MAYBACH, JF REY, ANDY WOLF, BRUNO CHAUSSIGNAND, BOZ, XAVIER DEROME, SCHNUCHEL, ALEXANDER DAAS, TAVAT, KBL, VOLTE FACE, RAPP, EYENIGMA, RALPH VAESSEN and VINCENT KAES.

Richard Mewha, the man who has pioneered these LOFT events in New York and Las Vegas said, “This year’s group of like-minded, independent eyewear designers is stronger than ever. All LOFT NYC participants will be at LOFT LV. These “Core” collections are joined by young designers showing for the first time in Vegas. The challenge now is to maintain the highly curated group so as not to dilute the core values of this tight-knit family.”
    www.loft-lv.com
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 09-22-2014 at 08:55 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

My List Included:

Charmant
    Asia Pacific
    Maui Jim

Revolution Eyewear. They used to have celebrity appearances. Maybe they were taking appointments in the suites.
    Last edited by Stan Tabor; 09-22-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris, post # 4 is what your post #5 is about.

Occupation

Redhot Jumper This is actually unfair competition .......................................

Chris, post # 4 is what your post #5 is about.

Johns I realize that ...............I am not on Facebook and I found their website which seems to make it more official. This is actually unfair competition in my opinion only.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    With the exception of last March at Vision East, Maui hasn't showed for years. As for the Marchon party, it used to be a great time, this year it stunk.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mrmac View Post
    With the exception of last March at Vision East, Maui hasn't showed for years. As for the Marchon party, it used to be a great time, this year it stunk.
    I don't waste my time w/the Marchon party, in fact, I didn't set foot on the strip the entire time I was in Vegas. Went to a great party at Lagasse's Stadium with some of the optical industry's finest, and later to the Loft event, but that was about the extent of my partying.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I live in Central America and usually attend 2 shows every year including Vision Expo East , I used to go to VEW ,but I find many booths telling me that their international manger did not attend the show and to ' please leave your bussiness card and they'll get in touch with you later' . So I came into conclusion this was turning into a local show. I'ts a long trip to fly to Vegas to hear this .

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I ran into more folks from Canada than Central/South America. Of course, I didn't hit a lot of the areas I usually do, such as the equipment nor the Galleria, so I'm not the best source.

Thread Information