Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They sell themselves

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They sell themselves

Do you know of a brand of eyewear frames that literally sell themselves either because of the name or the look?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    Honestly I would recommend to start with safer brands with names:
    Rayban, Oakley, Tory Burch, Kate Spade, Prodesign, Prada, and Gucci.
    They offer the range of styles from simple to out there, have great name recognition, an d are great quality. Keep an eye on what moves during the first 6 months and go from there. When you sell one reorder don't wait for a rep. This will let you know your best sellers, keep people from just going with a frame, and in the mid to long term keep profits up and the Doctor happy.
    I'm honestly more Luxottica averse, but if you want a safety net RB is hard to pass up.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The RB MSRP is readily available to all consumers so make sure you sell them for what they tell you to ;)

but yes, rayban will sell itself over and over again. also, we have great success with wiley x for suns now. kate spade is also very good.
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Moscot

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I begrudgingly carry RayBan rx and I never show it but people buy them a lot. They sell themselves because they are a recognizable brand and not as expensive as other designers. Many of the zyls stretch easily in the California climate. The sunglasses are better quality.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Moscot
    Depends on region. Urban area, hipster-dense, fashion forward, high-money? Yes. Try and sell them to the rural, blue-collar, Red State crowd, and you'll have a bunch of sneers and "Hollywood liberal" remarks. IME. YMMV.

That said, yes, Ray-Ban is the be-all-end-all sells itself frame line.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Browman View Post
    Depends on region. Urban area, hipster-dense, fashion forward, high-money? Yes. Try and sell them to the rural, blue-collar, Red State crowd, and you'll have a bunch of sneers and "Hollywood liberal" remarks. IME. YMMV.

That said, yes, Ray-Ban is the be-all-end-all sells itself frame line.
    So they respect stuff made by an Italian fashion house and not a family owned american company. Makes sense. Up here in Canada the rural types I deal with appreciate family and quality. We wouldn't touch Ray-Ban with a 10 meter pole.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with everyone on RB. Another one that sells itself are Coach frames (for women).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well I knew Rayban would be mentioned and Coach too. go figure... Are there any lines that just sell themselves because they look good branded or not?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    for me, Ray-Ban, Michael Kors.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i sell the crap out of scott harris from europa
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Also, Koali and OGA from morel

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wiley X does well here. So does Kate Spade. I can do without Ray Ban and have been, happily, for a while.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Masunaga, Pro Design and Lafont, for me now. When I carried it, Flexon.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Turaflex and Nike Flex
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiWizard OptiBoard Silver Supporter peyes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Vera Bradley still moves good for us.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Vera Bradley, OGI, Turaflex....and Lindberg

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody had success with Dolabany Eyewear? I agree Europa stuff is cool. Yup! Rayban,Coach and Vera Bradley have their groupies for sure!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Oakley.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Wiley X does well here. So does Kate Spade. I can do without Ray Ban and have been, happily, for a while.
    do you find you loose sales with not carrying Ray Ban especially young adults

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A question I have to ask - why, if you are scrambling to sell exactly what everyone else is selling (usually for more because you can't get their sweetheart insider deals) - what exactly is the motivation to drive people to you? Why not offer superior product in look, quality, workmanship and value? Why the race to the bottom?

Is it because we're so afraid of work, ie: taking the time to show people the benefits of something different than the rest of the sheeple think is the flavor of the week for whatever reason? Are we that lazy? Apathetic? We honestly think these mass produced mall frames are worth the zyl they're machine stamped from? With all the vitriol spewed forth on these boards against the likes of Essilor, it's always amusing to watch the apparent readiness to jump right into bed with all the other "beasts" of the optical world.

In the end, I suppose it makes things easier for those of us not looking just for the 'easy' path in the dispensary. In my experience, in multiple offices over the years, patients do seem to appreciate the added experience of being shown things outside of the "box" (figuratively and literally the big boxes. Lux etc.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    A question I have to ask - why, if you are scrambling to sell exactly what everyone else is selling (usually for more because you can't get their sweetheart insider deals) - what exactly is the motivation to drive people to you? Why not offer superior product in look, quality, workmanship and value? Why the race to the bottom?

Is it because we're so afraid of work, ie: taking the time to show people the benefits of something different than the rest of the sheeple think is the flavor of the week for whatever reason? Are we that lazy? Apathetic? We honestly think these mass produced mall frames are worth the zyl they're machine stamped from? With all the vitriol spewed forth on these boards against the likes of Essilor, it's always amusing to watch the apparent readiness to jump right into bed with all the other "beasts" of the optical world.

In the end, I suppose it makes things easier for those of us not looking just for the 'easy' path in the dispensary. In my experience, in multiple offices over the years, patients do seem to appreciate the added experience of being shown things outside of the "box" (figuratively and literally the big boxes. Lux etc.)
    Sometimes its nice to have people WANT something and not have to convince them that they SHOULD want something. That's all...BUT I agree people would rather pay more for an OK QUALITY POPULAR BRANDED FRAME than for really good quality made frame that cost the same BUT does not have the name. Its always nice to be able to spend more time discussing lenses and vision.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    When five patients a week come in asking if we carry a line (Oakley, in our case), I don't care if other people are carrying it or not. My patients are clearly asking me to take their money for a product I can get them. That's all I need to know.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the end, I suppose it makes things easier for those of us not looking just for the 'easy' path in the dispensary. In my experience, in multiple offices over the years, patients do seem to appreciate the added experience of being shown things outside of the "box" (figuratively and literally the big boxes. Lux etc.)[/QUOTE]

+1 I have found several Wayfarer designs that are non Lux products and of superior quality IMHO. Part of our (ECP) success is to tell a story, make the patient feel the same enthusiasm that we have for a product that rocks. Companies that still use time tested methods in their manufacturing, where quality still prevails, this means more to me then a plaque on a temple. Sometimes the path of least resistance is the least rewarding.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 09-19-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    +1 I have found several Wayfarer designs that are non Lux products and of superior quality IMHO. Part of our (ECP) success is to tell a story, make the patient feel the same enthusiasm that we have for a product that rocks. Companies that still use time tested methods in their manufacturing, where quality still prevails, this means more to me then a plaque on a temple. Sometimes the path of least resistance is the least rewarding.
    Very well said.

Thread Information