Thread: frames/inventory in officemate

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

frames/inventory in officemate

Ok so I am starting with a diff office and They are getting OM started up. I am now at the point of dealing with frames. right now we have zero entered under frames. I have used OM for 2.5 years but they didnt use it right and never wanted to either... SMH..

So what Id like to know is, opinions on how this all works in the end using SPEX UPC and existing inventory and new inventory coming in.

1: I am assuming that if we get the SPEX downloaded and manuf. picked out, imported into officemate that will then provide us with all frame info and size if we were to type it into the frame box.

2: So next... we have our existing inventory... I am going to have to assume that there is no easy way to get these entered in as inventory since they are not tagged and just priced with a marker.

3: we have tags coming and need to order a scanner. So lets say we get a new shipment of frames in, can we use the scanner on the sticker on the bag somehow to find the frame and mark it as QOH 1?

thanks for any help!! I dont wanna start doing something that is a waste of time.
    Last edited by Slim; 09-14-2014 at 11:53 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I just love the language, .................... OM / SMH / SPEX UPC and existing inventory / SPEX downloaded and manuf. picked out, imported / mark it as QOH 1

.....................but have no notion what you are talking about ?????????????????????????

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can import entire lines into Office Mate Administration using the FrameMate feature and the latest FramesData DVD. It's pretty self-explanatory, though you're at the mercy of whatever monkeys in the manufacturers' corporate offices took the box measurements; some are radically incorrect and many are just absent. Then you can use the "Products -> Inventory -> Adjustment" option in OM to add them into your QOH. Do NOT do the latter in OM Administration; use standard OM.

You may also find that FrameMate treats all sunglasses as non-RX products, meaning they will default as a taxable item.

OM is very problematic as an inventory program, in my experience. It's very glitchy and has tons of weird idiosyncrasies.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have found too many inaccuracies fit SPEX UPC. I have been doing inventory exclusively at my store for the last 4 years and EVERYTHING gets entered by hand into OM.

I have seen incorrect color names, measurements, pricing and UPC code numbers with SPEX UPC, too much of a stickler for things being done correct (the FIRST time).

FWIW we use OM 11
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well heck... Anyone else have feed back on SPEX? We are about to place the order for it and a scanner/printer. I don't know if I have time to enter every frame we have and to come. Its crazy busy here. Seems like if I had a good data base to start from spex barring some issues... Might be still the way to go at least for one year of the subscription...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We use the combo. We also use a cloud solution provider and have to rely on them to upload the CD. So keep that in mind with my commentary.

We do find there are times when the CD/DVD does not have recent releases, or certain lines. So some hand entry is still needed.
    You will still need to manually set the majority of mounting types and frame material areas for several frames.
    Spex is good in getting the initial frames/lines ported in, but you will need to use a separate module to update qty on hand.
    OM will not let you port in discontinued frame information. It will have to be hand entered.

I agree with Andrew that OM is not a great inventory program. However we do find using Spex does enable us to get the frames loaded into the system faster and easier.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Thread Information