Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with people

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We also do repairs in our store on used old frames , but under the customers own risk ,we make them sign a waiver saying that we will delicately work with their spectacle frame and do our best to repair it ,but if it breaks we will not be held accountable.

If they do not want to sign ,we will not touch the frame.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520g View Post
    Anytime I do a repair and the frames did not come from my inventory I tell that is is at there own risk.
    I always use a waiver. And I would have turned away the repair you described. Tough lesson; well learned. How could you come out on this in the small dollars and sense?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 9520g View Post
    Anytime I do a repair and the frames did not come from my inventory I tell that is is at there own risk.
    The frame I broke was bought in my shop but it was no longer available. We get no walk by traffic so mostly the frames we adjust are bought here.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post
    Well ... she didn't like that offer ... she said she paid alot more for them than that and she is going to have to call us back.

Bottom line ... she is trying to shake us down for more $$$!

Lets get this straight ... you brought in a broken pair of glasses and now I'm giving you a check for $100 ... and you're not happy!?

Mister Nice Guy has limited patience.
    Withdraw your original offer. She is being unreasonable, and you are not to blame for any of this.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So are you giving her $100 and repairing her frame and making her new lenses? I hope not! I think your original offer was more than generous. I would be tempted to just replace the lenses and give her back her broken frame in the original condition. Let her find someone else to fix it!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HappyLady, this is exactly what we did. Here's $100 dollars, good luck.
    Done and over with.

CS

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but we had a similar situation that brought back wonderful memories.

The new office I was hired at has had issues with patients in the past and used a verbal warning to establish risk of repairing non store or OOW frames. When the staff used the word "risk" during their verbal disclaimer, patients would painfully cringe and make it very awkward. I decided to change the wording as a result.

At our office, a verbal warning and visual inspection is done in front of the patient to establish main damage and discover secondary damage. I drafted up some basic language to overcome the word "risk"

"We would be happy to repair/adjust your frames for you, I just wanted to inform you that if the frame breaks during repair/adjustment, we would not be able to replace the frame"

This has significantly reduced awkwardness.

I hope this encounter with this patient is a closed case.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    EXCELLENT advise and technique bp3
    and you yungun ecps should carefully and extremely politely point out every scratch and flaw on the lens before you even think of walking away with them and take them in the 'back'

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by COMEINPEACE View Post
    EXCELLENT advise and technique bp3
    and you yungun ecps should carefully and extremely politely point out every scratch and flaw on the lens before you even think of walking away with them and take them in the 'back'
    Excellent point, never ever take a frame back to your work bench without pointing out any defect in the frame and lens, irregardless of how small and insignificant it may seem. Some of these folks can become just as small and insignificant as the slight scratch on their lens but turn your little world inside out.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    ...turn your little world inside out.
    The next full moon is Wednesday Oct 8.

Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is no different getting grtting stuck behind an accident tbat closes a freeway for hours. Deal.
    I'd let her have her choice of any Persol I had in stock.
    Next.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No way would we offer to repair a Persol that was snapped at the bridge. Thats a waste of time and talent. "Aw Im so sorry it broke like that....We do have some great frames that will hold up much better....

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by globaljp View Post
    No way would we offer to repair a Persol that was snapped at the bridge. Thats a waste of time and talent. "Aw Im so sorry it broke like that....We do have some great frames that will hold up much better....
    How much you want to bet Muffy was doing her own adjustment to tighten them when they snapped?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    How much you want to bet Muffy was doing her own adjustment to tighten them when they snapped?
    I gotta disagree with you on this one. The classic acetate Persol frame bears a striking resemblance to the Flexon 600 series, so she was showing off, what she thought was Persol's ability to flex back into shape. Happens all the time.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Maybe I'm just mean, but I'd do my absolute best to find the exact same frame, break it at the bridge, and give it to her, in the same condition she brought you the original pair.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by merrymaker View Post
    Our office has a waiver that's signed by the patient. solves this issue usually
    Can you share with me your waiver form for repair?
    thanks

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper If the frame was acetate .............................

Quote Originally Posted by Sphinxsmith View Post

The break was smack dab in the middle of the bridge and, yes, the frame was acetate. The decision to mend it was made even though the rest of frame was pretty well hammered. As soon as went to remove the lenses one split in the middle, glass.

If the frame was acetate then so was the bridge ..........and ......................1) there was no reason to remove the lenses

2)..........then by dipping the 2 broken sides about 6 to 10 times for second and wait few seconds and do it again you dissolve about 1 1/2 mm of the material in a special mixed solvent for that purpose.

3) Then clamp it well together so that there is a slight bulge of material around the brake and let it sit and dry for 24 hours, then finish the job and you have an invisible mend.

Every post was a of some political reason or another and nobody even mentioned the technique how to properly repair acetate.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm still working on getting my boss to order a couple of those plastic frame welder containers from you Chris ... I'm intrigued. That would have been a great solution had we had it.
    The topic of my post was the self-entitled nature of so many (young) people today and the typical attitude to the poor situation they find themselves entangled.
    I agree, if the solvent works half as well as you describe it should be in my tool box.

Cheers!

CS

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by WFruit View Post
    Maybe I'm just mean, but I'd do my absolute best to find the exact same frame, break it at the bridge, and give it to her, in the same condition she brought you the original pair.
    Well, I must be as mean as you because I FREAKING love your idea!

Thread Information