Thread: Remake Policies?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Remake Policies?

I just wanted some feedback on an issue I recently ran into dealing with a wholesale lab. We used this lab for about six months, the work was OK but had lots of issues getting what we asked for and in an appropriate time frame. We quit using them 3 months ago. Now we have had a couple AR warranty replacement needs and the lab in question says since we no longer do business with them they won't honor the warranty?! I am sure some on here will probably agree with This practice but let's put into perspective. What if people who bought glasses from me last year had their records transfered but had lenses that needed warranty repair? Do we tell them tough luck? What about buying a TV at Walmart and then shopping at target from then on and Walmart says we can't honor your warranty because you no longer shop here? I really feel this is horrible customer service. Said lab operates out of toledo Ohio Btw... Just curious if anyone agrees or not?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's not poor customer service; that's no customer service. How did you notify them that you were no longer doing business with them? What are their warranty policies and is there a consumer affairs organization you can contact in the area?

For expediency, you may need to reorder the lenses from your new lab and then have your attorney demand a full refund.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If possible speak to someone higher in the lab chain. Manager, Owner, Corporate.. someone you can have a heart to heart with detailing why you no longer do business with them, and how policies such as these will only prevent you from ever trying their lab again.

If no response in a timely manner, get the lenses processed from new lab and honor the patient warranty. While it sucks to have to pay additional for the lenses, hopefully you will recoup it. Either from the previous lab after attorney involvement, or from patient good will.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post

For expediency, you may need to reorder the lenses from your new lab and then have your attorney demand a full refund.

Good advice, ....................... if you are willing to pay $ 250.00 for a lawyers letter to get a $ 150.00 replacement.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What a terrible situation for you and your patients, Golf.

I've had two occasions where I've switched labs altogether. To their credit, both of them honored their remake policies for that awkward 2 year span of remake-only business.

I'm pretty sure they're contractually obligated to honor the remake policy they've offered on their products. I hope you just got a bad CS rep on the phone when you were told this. I'd take it up the chain of command like Jubilee suggested. Why not document names and dates of conversations from here on out just in case?

I hope you'll keep us posted how it shakes out. If their management and corporate officers really prove to be that shifty, then I definitely want to know which lab we're talking about!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    If possible speak to someone higher in the lab chain. Manager, Owner, Corporate.. someone you can have a heart to heart with detailing why you no longer do business with them, and how policies such as these will only prevent you from ever trying their lab again.

If no response in a timely manner, get the lenses processed from new lab and honor the patient warranty. While it sucks to have to pay additional for the lenses, hopefully you will recoup it. Either from the previous lab after attorney involvement, or from patient good will.
    Are you serious? Utilizing an attorney at a cost of $500 minimum for such a miniscule amount is overkill and silly. Although this owner has sour grapes and is not willing to do anything about it, mentioning the lab name (if the story is 100% true and accurate) on such a forum creates bad press and will cost them more in the long run.

Psst, pass it on.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Talk to the lab you've replaced them with and explain the situation. They may be willing to help you out with some sort of discount on the replacement lenses. I ran into the same situation a while back and our new lab was very generous.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually talked to my lab rep who told me this was from the top of the company about the remake issue! really its not about the money as i have several free vouchers I could use and we do enough business to offset the cost. It's really about principle. The lab is Optical One formerly central optical. We didn't have these issues until they became an eyemed contract lab. BTW the lab rep (Scott Kern) offered to pay for lenses out of his own pocket to try and help me out.. truly a stand up guy:)

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Tell them your going public with their name and your story on any and all optical forums you can find.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Tell them your going public with their name and your story on any and all optical forums you can find.
    +1
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Was told this by Focus in Illinois as well. Essilor lab.
    Don't let a billy goat guard your cabbage patch.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    How would they know you didn't want to do business with them ?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore:492682
    How would they know you didn't want to do business with them ?
    I guess by me not sending them any work lately? Funny thing is that I had just sent a new order to them a week ago and they stopped processing it because they said they thought it was a remake!? Smh

Thread Information