Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you refill an Rx for "PLANO" that had expired?

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    So, I'm sensing that their is an underlying feeling that "emmetropes" do not require eye exams as much as an ammetrope of as little as 0.25D

B
    I'll take that a step further- I've noticed that folks who don't wear a distance correction see an eye doctor much less frequently than those who wear eyeglasses full-time, mostly those with VAs of 20/40 or better. I think it's likely that this group has a much higher percentage of undiagnosed pathology and subsequent preventable vision loss.

WRT expiration dates, I believe a big part of that is to protect the prescriber from unnecessary and unreimbursed chair time. I believe it's the optician's responsibility, based on ocular health and history, to advise the client whether it's reasonable to fill an Rx, or defer to a future exam.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, I'm sensing that their is an underlying feeling that "emmetropes" do not require eye exams as much as an ammetrope of as little as 0.25D

B
    I don't know if I would infer that, it seems like a bit of a stretch. The importance of an exam shouldn't be confused with the refractive correction that follows it. The notion of a Plano RX is what may cause an aneurism for some.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Hayde View Post
    Or even one better, call the prescribing doc and see if s/he'll extend that plano Rx. Everyone's happy! (Or if they don't, we discovered the other shoe was that about to drop on us had we not called....)
    Now you're getting it!

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by paul smith ldo View Post
    i don't know if i would infer that, it seems like a bit of a stretch. The importance of an exam shouldn't be confused with the refractive correction that follows it. The notion of a plano rx is what may cause an aneurism for some.
    that's the point!!!

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    A plano RX = snake oil salesman, especially is OMD/OD does not "fully disclose" to the pat. that said "RX" in it's raw form will have no refractive benefit to the patient.

How can an RX (recipe, going back to the olden days of pharmacy) be considered an RX if it doesn't have any "ingredients"?

You stress the importance of an annual or bi-annual exam with scientific literature and a call-back in a year/or two's time, not with a fake RX
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    A plano RX = snake oil salesman, especially is OMD/OD does not "fully disclose" to the pat. that said "RX" in it's raw form will have no refractive benefit to the patient.

How can an RX (recipe, going back to the olden days of pharmacy) be considered an RX if it doesn't have any "ingredients"?

You stress the importance of an annual or bi-annual exam with scientific literature and a call-back in a year/or two's time, not with a fake RX

Actually I've required a patient to go get one of these from the doc before!

Customer asserted he'd like to use his vision benefits on otc shades. When discussing the ins-and-outs of coverage, he reports the doc advised him to wear sunglasses in the exam due to 'light sensitivity.' I told him that would be fine and I'd be happy to file it--once I had the appropriate Rx from the doc. Even if it were pln/ds OU, if it stated plano sunglasses were prescribed, then I could transact them under a medical context, tax-free, and use his insurance benefit.

(Patient never made it back in....)

I don't think it's apt to dis the doc in the case of the OP's thought experiment--he's only writing the rx at patient request, not writing scripts for .25D or less OU and handing them off to the optician to 'close' it to pay for the Mercedes. We're assuming a patient walks into a 3rd party optical already wanting to purchase specs for some strange reason over a year since their plano Rx.

A plano Rx is certainly a curiousity, but it's not necessarilly furtive. It is a flag of an unusual patient case--All the more reason to be crystal clear of the doctor's intention when writing it and determining if S/HE still considers still it valid.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead Daddy View Post
    I believe that the patient owns his/her eyes, and that we don't. I strongly advise an annual exam. But I have no right to force that on anybody. Happy to sell the patient plano suns, plano ARC Transitions Vantage, etc. It is legal. It is helpful. Most important, the patient (who own his/her eyes) wishes to purchase something that they value. Who am I to be the "gatekeeper" of that patient's eyes?

(End Libertarian Rant)
    +1

Barry, you scare me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post

Agreed. That's why expirations dates on Rx findings so completely disturb me. Actually, I can be persuaded either way...but not both at the same time!

where I disagree is when people say Plano is not an Rx...or has no ingredients.na basic refraction is the focus state of the eye. You try making a first time progressive to a mildly latent hyperope or myope of 0.50D and see how that works out for them when the doctor says their Eyes are fine and issues no Rx.

if it really is Plano...write it! They paid for the refraction, give them something for it!

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 09-08-2014 at 06:01 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ya'll think too much

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B
    Barry, emmetropes do need an eye exam but we're never going to demand an Rx before someone can buy an over the counter Plano sunglass. It's never going to happen !!!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    No rules will make up for the incompetence and apathy in our industry.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rdcoach5 View Post
    Barry, emmetropes do need an eye exam but we're never going to demand an Rx before someone can buy an over the counter Plano sunglass. It's never going to happen !!!
    That's telling statement on the lack of logic in our industry.

B

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Speaking of logic, the very fact that a plano Rx would have an expiration date would allude to at least the suspicion that it wouldn't be plano forever. Call the Dr., talk to the patient. If it looks strange - do your research.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance, Ive worked with several doctors in different situations. Ive spoken with a few and posed the question "If a pt had a plano rx ou would you write a prescription for them". They looked at me funny. I'm not sure I understand under what circumstances a Dr. would write a pt for a plano Rx.

Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    You'll have to forgive my ignorance, Ive worked with several doctors in different situations. Ive spoken with a few and posed the question "If a pt had a plano rx ou would you write a prescription for them". They looked at me funny. I'm not sure I understand under what circumstances a Dr. would write a pt for a plano Rx.

Thanks
    I've seen it on a post-op cataract, as well as other surgical circumstances (post-surgery, almost invariably one eye only.) Other uses could include computer-heavy users needing anti-glare and a computer Rx for a 'computer' such as the Shamir Relax or Essilor Anti-Fatigue--no prescriptive 'add' per se, but nevertheless a default one built into the lens design. (Most docs would have this specified on the Rx in bold print.) Tinted lenses for other reasons. It's exceedingly rare these things come up with absolute emmotropes, but I'm sure it does crop up here and there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    I'm not sure I understand under what circumstances a Dr. would write a pt for a plano Rx.

Thanks
    Therapeutic, safety (monocular), sports, etc.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess I don't see the logic either.

Say I go to my primary care physician and they find no need for a prescription. I ask for one and get a "no prescription medication" on an rx form. I then go to the pharmacist and present my rx with a bottle of aspirin with some gum and a magazine. Is it unreasonable for the pharmacist to insist I bring the aspirin to another register as they (licensed pharmacist) cannot sell it to me but will happily ring up the gum and magazine?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    By its very definition an eye in a state of emmetropia requires no correction. Safety frames can be purchased with a plano lens to safety thickness without an RX as can sports glasses. I just asked another OD friend of mine friend of mine if he would ever write a prescription for a plano lens. He said for reading sheet music he might have a +1 as a midrange. I said but that would be written as a +1 on the RX for mid range. He said OH! I didn't have my glasses on I thought you said PIANO!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

Say I go to my primary care physician and they find no need for a prescription. I ask for one and get a "no prescription medication" on an rx form. I then go to the pharmacist and present my rx with a bottle of aspirin with some gum and a magazine. Is it unreasonable for the pharmacist to insist I bring the aspirin to another register as they (licensed pharmacist) cannot sell it to me but will happily ring up the gum and magazine?
    +1

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post

A better analogy might be a Rx brace that has zero torque output, used just for support and protection, prescribed and fitted by heath care professionals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaU2020 View Post
    Plano is not a prescription, it is LACK of prescription!
    I would not even bother to make a copy of a prescription if it simply said "plano" on it, just like my pharmacist would not save MY rx that said "aspirin" if I took it to them.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    This is perhaps the most inane conversation that I have heard in a long time. Perhaps it's time for all of you to get back to work rather than arguing about which end of the turd is the clean end.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    This is perhaps the most inane conversation that I have heard in a long time. Perhaps it's time for all of you to get back to work rather than arguing about which end of the turd is the clean end.
    Now there's a carefully nuanced position.

I'm going on a beer run.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1

Thread Information