Thread: Want to open new optical store - suggestions needed

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Question Want to open new optical store - suggestions needed

I want to open a new optical store in Ottawa area. I have identified busy retail location and working on business plan. Does any body know about reliable frame suppliers and optical labs around Ottawa and associated costs? Any suggestions will be appreciated to help newbie entrepreneur like me.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love to see someone start out on an exciting adventure like this, but it should be exciting, and not terrifying. If you are asking questions such as how/where to locate suppliers, I have to believe that you have not worked with/for an independent optical/ECP, or you might have a better idea of the resources available. Desire is good, but it is no substitute for experience.

If you've got the experience working with a chain, try to get a job with an independent, or "volunteer" at an independent ECP in a non-competing market on your day off. Tell them your plans, and ask for advice. I don't know of an independent that wouldn't be happy to give you the advice you're looking for.

Sorry about the soapbox, but if you've got all the experience you need, try going to VEW and checking out vendors. It's pretty much a one-stop shop.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by contactakj View Post
    I want to open a new optical store in Ottawa area. I have identified busy retail location and working on business plan. Does any body know about reliable frame suppliers and optical labs around Ottawa and associated costs? Any suggestions will be appreciated to help newbie entrepreneur like me.
    Consider joining Ontario's OPTICAL GROUP. They will get you 'account discounts' on just about everything optical. Annual fee was in the $350.00/yr area and they will bill you monthly for all your purchases, but their statements must be paid in full each month. They run periodic ads in Optical Prism magazine.

Good Luck!!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks John. I have spend last decade serving in eyewear industry but mostly in corporate environment. I am familiar with end-to-end order processing and designed several systems used by high volume clients. You are right, I do not have worked with independent optical / ECP. For last few months I was trying to obtain franchise but there doesn't seems to be any option available for Canadian market. US based franchisor mentioned that there supplier contracts doesn't allow them to supply directly to independent ECP. I will not be able to attend VEW but definitely be going to Vision Canada.

Thank you about reference to Ontario's OPTICAL GROUP. I will contact them to find out more.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In Ottawa, there used to be a thing called GOOGLE and before that they had a service called YELLOWPAGES.
    Last edited by idispense; 09-08-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    In Ottawa, there used to be a thing called GOOGLE and before that they had a service called YELLOW PAGES.
    Maxwell House, you need some.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    PM me for info.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I did extensively searched on google and yellow pages but didn't found conclusive options about franchise. I did contacted whomesover I can before posting message on this group. I did found options about frame supplier and labs but they are not very interested due to start up nature of my venture. I believe I need more Maxwell House. I know it is not easy to start optical store otherwise every body may have done it. Thank you for your responses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What labs did you find in Ottawa, Hull, Kingston and Toronto? Which franchisor did you find ?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I have found following labs: Riverside Optical Lab, Nova Optical Lab, BM Optical Lab in Canada. I have found following franchisors: Dr. Pearle Vision (acquired and not longer responding), Sterling Optical (USA), Cohen Fashion (USA). Trying to contact Hakim, NewLook, Luxoticca Retail.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found following labs: Riverside Optical Lab, Nova Optical Lab, BM Optical Lab in Canada. I have found following franchisors: Dr. Pearle Vision (acquired and not longer responding), Sterling Optical (USA), Cohen Fashion (USA). Trying to contact Hakim, NewLook, Luxoticca Retail.

Why a franchise?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    To be honest, option for franchise is to reduce risk involved. What I have found that it is bit difficult for independent ECP to start business and being franchisee seems to have reduce complications involved. Initially I thought I have good industry experience and able to find information from google. But it seems market is mostly controlled by 2 big companies and it is a struggle for new guys to get in.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To be honest, option for franchise is to reduce risk involved.
    That's EXACTLY what they want you to think! There is no less, and probably a lot MORE risk involved, because you will have to do EVERYTHING the way THEY say to do it. If you want to cut corners...good luck getting it past them.

Yes, they reduce complications, but what complications are you trying to avoid? Negotiating a lease? Learn how to negotiate! Doing a build out? Hit the internet and learn what it takes! Merchandising? (See post #2). Hiring? Firing? Accounting? Scheduling? Finding an OD? Yes, the may "uncomplicate" the process, but what are YOU getting out of it, and what are they getting out of YOU?

Take as much money as you have saved, buy a ticket to Vegas, go to VEW, hang out, find the independents, and ask, ask, ask! But don't turn your checkbook over to someone that promises to make getting into business easier. (I'm totally serious about VEW)

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks John. For store location I have identified high traffic location and talked to landlord. For store build out I have already contacted general contracting companies to identify cost. For Merchandising I will contact Optical Group that is mentioned above. Initially I will be working full time with help of other family member, so hiring / firing isn't a issue at moment. Accounting, lawyer arrangements I already have. Optical Lab I need to figure out. My main fears are end-to-end fulfillment process keeping in mind competition from 1 hr express labs and internet companies. I thought getting franchise might make it easier but it looks like that may not be the case.

I am now actually looking into going to VEW. Thanks again.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks John. For store location I have identified high traffic location and talked to landlord. For store build out I have already contacted general contracting companies to identify cost. For Merchandising I will contact Optical Group that is mentioned above. Initially I will be working full time with help of other family member, so hiring / firing isn't a issue at moment. Accounting, lawyer arrangements I already have. Optical Lab I need to figure out. My main fears are end-to-end fulfillment process keeping in mind competition from 1 hr express labs and internet companies. I thought getting franchise might make it easier but it looks like that may not be the case.

I am now actually looking into going to VEW. Thanks again.
    Sounds like a Wizard of Oz moment! Hope to see you at VEW.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    There are myriad lens suppliers and frame suppliers and plenty of room to negotiate prices, especially if you concentrate on just a few, in order to have a little volume to offer them.
    I think you are spot on in working on the business plan, and I suggest you work even harder on it. Get professional advice and try to get that plan as detailed as possible, covering all areas. Get someone to help you think of things that you didn't even consider before taking the plunge.
    Do NOT take the view that simply knowing some suppliers and being able to source some products more cheaply is enough.
    Once you sign that lease and start purchasing lease holds and making your first hire, it is real hard to put the "tooth paste back in the tube".

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a question for you. Are you a registered optician?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am planning to attend VEW and will be talking to them.

I am working on business plan and will be finalizing it shortly. Does any body know of professional consultant who can review it? I can travel any where in Canada / US and willing to pay fair consulting fees.

I have good experience in optical industry but due merger & acquisition I will be relieved by end of this year. I have studied opticianry outside of Canada and worked for ECP as dispensing optician. I have received application package from NAIT and will enrolling in next class to get my license.

As suggested above next step is to attend VEW and I am hopping to meet few board members over there.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Curious of how your business plan is going? I could be of some assistance, I've worked at the lab and retail level

Thread Information