Thread: Santinelli/AIT

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Santinelli/AIT

Hi all! I'm looking for input on a new edger... I haven't ever had to do this before and am struggling with knowing what I'm looking at. We're coming from using a Gerber Kappa. It's a dinosaur, doesn't work etc. We're test driving a Santinelli Lex1000 currently. So far, it just seems like a good company. The rep has been responsive, training is available, appears to cut lenses and it will be able to do all sorts of cool things once we're better trained that we didn't have the option to do before. I also have an appt to test drive an AIT and am just wondering if it's even worth my time/effort. Any thoughts on which is the better company/edger? I know AIT is cheaper- this is not so much an issue for me (although it is tempting that I can get a drill on the AIT for about the same price as the Santinelli without). We just want what is going to work the best for the long haul. Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Do you want it to do specific/fancy things? What kind of daily volume do you need it to produce?
    FEA Industries
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    www.feaind.com
    www.optmagazine.com
    Morton, PA

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For the short term... we're looking at 20ish SV jobs a day at a max but would like to be able to do just about anything here that we can in the long term. It's a tough one for me to gauge as I haven't been able to cut much here in so long. We do sell a ton of drilled rimless but mostly PALs so I expect the vast majority of those to continue to go through the lab for now. Not planning on faceting edges anytime in the future if that's what counts as "fancy" ;)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I love my ExcelonXD from Coburn, blocker and edger. Great price, comparatively, and it does everything but milling, for the crazy shapes, and it doesn't do heavy shelving work. Double the price gets you those nice features, that most offices should just farm out anyway.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I have the Lex 1000 with the Ice mini blocker. I'm happy with it. Consistent, accurate edging (even when running a custom shape and sharp corners). I can do some high wrap on their high curve setting, although not all. We've had it almost 3 yrs now and it still works very well. Its quirks are limited so I can set it to edge and walk away. As for tech support or telephone assistance, I only have good things to say. They answer the phone and know what to do, they answer quickly, the online chat is just as helpful if talking isn't an option. I think it is the same crew answering the phones as well as the chat, but I'm not positive.

Feel free to send more questions if you need about the Lex 1000.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    send out the sv and do all your own drilling on the one above the LEX!
    I own a ME-1200 and it is the best machine built today so if you sell drill work get a machine designed to drill. We do 70% drill work and achieve almost perfect results every job.
    That translate to happy staff with happy customers who buy more drill work.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am in a similar situation. I am trying to decided between the Santenilli LE1000 with ICE blocker or go with Briot Alta Pulse with Alta XS blocker. The Briot is more expensive, but offers more options quicker edging and drilling. Briot also offers a longer service warranty than Santenilli. My practice is small but growing VERY quickly. In fact, we are building a new stand alone building with a lab and I am looking into an edger that will be able to handle almost anything. Any advice on performance between these high end edgers?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i have the le1000 and ice mini... love it! previous place had a le9000sx and manual blocker. also it was 99% reliable.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    i have the le1000 and ice mini... love it! previous place had a le9000sx and manual blocker. also it was 99% reliable.
    I also had a LE9000, it was until this day one of the most simple and reliable edger's I have ever used. I also used a Top Conn edger briefly, that machine hardly ever got out of adjustment and was very reliable. Santinelli however was top notch when it came to technical help / advice.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    I also had a LE9000, it was until this day one of the most simple and reliable edger's I have ever used. I also used a Top Conn edger briefly, that machine hardly ever got out of adjustment and was very reliable. Santinelli however was top notch when it came to technical help / advice.
    Yes.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I currently own a ME-1000 (one of first placed in US) and am considering upgrading to the ME 1200. Is the speed of teh 1200 considerably quicker that its predacessor? Do you know the retail cost of teh ME

Thread Information