Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart Vision Center

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Walmart Vision Center

What's it like to work as a licensed optician at Walmart Vision Center. Would you recommend it?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I started working at WalMart in March of this year after 15 yrs at LC. For me it's been great. Alot less stress. No lab work. Better hours. I'm sure their will be some on the forums who will tell the opposite of my view, but I needed to get out of LC. So all that to say, it's different for everyone.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LensGrinder76 View Post
    I started working at WalMart in March of this year after 15 yrs at LC. For me it's been great. Alot less stress. No lab work. Better hours. I'm sure their will be some on the forums who will tell the opposite of my view, but I needed to get out of LC. So all that to say, it's different for everyone.
    Do you have to
    do those long days of 9am to 8 pm? hows that?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Vision Centers I work at are open untill 6. I think some may be open untill 7 but that's it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    8 pm here. and they want some days 9-8.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The hours depend on what the competition does. When they first came to our town. I messed with them by opening up at 6:00 AM. (My lab guy was here, so I had him flip the "OPEN" sign on. They began opening at 7:00 AM! Hilarious! We really are open 8-6. Eventually they caught on, and they now open at 9:00.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked as either an optician or Vision Center Manager for nearly ten years at Walmart. They were good to me. The pay was great, and there was a lot of flexibility in scheduling. Just understand that there will definitely be a requirement to work evenings, weekends and some holidays. The two best things about working for Walmart were their straight forward, low prices on very good products (only premium AR's were nice) and their commitment to customer service. The warranty is second to none (no additional cost, no co-pay, unlimited replacements for a year). One downside is that there are so many locations and so many managers that you could end up with a bad apple. I hope this is helpful. If you would like to talk about it in more detail, shoot me a pm with a phone number, and I'll be glad to give you a call.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Walmart Vision Center (employed by Walmart) or a National Vision located in Walmart (employed by NVI)? Two separate companies.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    Walmart Vision Center (employed by Walmart) or a National Vision located in Walmart (employed by NVI)? Two separate companies.
    That distinction definitely makes a difference. My experience was with Walmart corporate rather than NVI.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I didn't think NVI had any more Walmart holdings? Still some out there?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They say 200 locations in Walmart, 40 military. Didn't bother to go any further.

From the NVI web-site:

RETAIL DIVISIONS

Welcome to National Vision, Inc's family of nationally located retail stores. Please select a division below for more information.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Its funny to see this post now as I was just reading the consumer reviews for Wal Mart Vision Center, all of which (except for one) are terrible and mildly amusing:
    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/eyegl...rt_vision.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Run. Run the other way. Run quickly.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for Wal-Mart Vision Center (corporate) for 14 yrs and I can say that I would recommend it for SOME Opticians, not all though. It's not for everybody, but the job itself is fairly stable, decent pay, ok benefits, hours vary based on your availability and time off is usually rotated amongst the staff. Having said that, there are always bad apples in every group who go against everything I have said. I would advise you to speak with other Opticians in the store where you will be working or those in the same "market" area to get a better idea of what to expect. Good luck!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You and the Doc can help bag at the checkout when you get caught up. It's all about the team you know.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    You and the Doc can help bag at the checkout when you get caught up. It's all about the team you know.
    That's funny . They don't really make you do that ? Do they ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    you and the doc can help bag at the checkout when you get caught up. It's all about the team you know.
    lmao!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes. This is actually true. You will also be expected to show up early (like 4 AM or thereabout) on days like Black Friday (Or is it Thanksgiving day itself by now?) to assist all the lovely people beating down the doors, and each other, for their deal of the day. As a manager in the big blue box, your expected to perform for the company first, store second, and optical department last.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Yes. This is actually true. You will also be expected to show up early (like 4 AM or thereabout) on days like Black Friday (Or is it Thanksgiving day itself by now?) to assist all the lovely people beating down the doors, and each other, for their deal of the day. As a manager in the big blue box, your expected to perform for the company first, store second, and optical department last.
    Are you speaking from first hand experience Uilleann?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sadly, yes. In a previous life, many moons ago. Now if you're able to come at it from the optometry angle, and sign a contract as a doc and not as an employee of the company, you're likely better off. But rest assured, you are just as likely as not to be pulled into positions you likely did not bargain for working for the Walton dynasty. As an interesting aside, most I've talked to who have gone the Costco route seem much happier on balance, with far better wages, hours, and general respect from the company. Mind you, that is anecdotal small talk from peers in the field here, but it seems to be a general consensus of those with that experience. Not sure if that's an option for our OP however.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I worked for NVI for a couple of years. It was my first and last time working for corporate. Pros: good benefits (401k with matching, health ins and vacation) and the pay was pretty good (the more desperate they are, the more money you can negotiate for).

Cons: Well...you're in a WalMart, so that right there is a big con for me. The hours, having to work holidays, management micro-managing from afar (having to meet quotas) the quality of the frames (awful), and EVERY SINGLE DAY I heard, "$49 for a pair of glasses?! Why are they so expensive?!" EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.

And I don't know if this is a pro or a con, but the optical was located right near the entrance, so you'd just stand there and watch the freak parade walk by all day. www.peopleofwalmart.com
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

OptiBoard Apprentice CajunOptician's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hey guys and gals.

I am currently a Vision Center Manager for a Wal-Mart Vision Center in southern Louisiana. As far as I know, no store in Louisiana is currently affiliated with NVI. We are a one-door state, and Louisiana does not currently require opticians to be licensed. Being ABO or NCLE certified is a plus, though, and Wal-Mart offers a pay incentive to any optician who gets himself or herself certified.

Our Vision Centers are open from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday through Saturday, and 12 Noon to 5 PM on Sundays.

I am thankful to have a Market Health and Wellness director who actually cares about the business. This is where the quality of service you receive will stem from. If the boss doesn't care, then neither will the associates working for him or her. I read horror stores all the time from people complaining about their experience at their local Wal-Mart Vision Center. Believe me, I am grateful that we're not one of those locations.

My biggest and only gripe concerning Wal-Mart is the lack of sufficient training. If you want to know all there is to know about Optical, you pretty much have to learn it on your own. There is no official, structured training involved. You are hired on as an Optical Trainee, and you're placed with a sponsor Optician who is responsible for your training. If you remain on the job for 12 months, you are promoted to Optician Non-Certified, or Optician Single/Dual-Certified should you complete the ABO/NCLE exams, or Licensed Optician once you complete the licensing in the required states.

A few points I'd like to point out based on previous comments.

The only day we are required to show up beyond the store's normal hours of operation is for Inventory.

We do not participate in Black Friday.

We do not alter our hours to compete with local eye centers.

My job as the vision center manager is 100% devoted to the optical department. We are a separate division from the rest of the store. I do not report to or answer to anyone inside the store. I answer only to my market health and wellness director.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper My job as the vision center manager is 100% devoted ...........................

Quote Originally Posted by CajunOptician View Post

My job as the vision center manager is 100% devoted to the optical department. We are a separate division from the rest of the store. I do not report to or answer to anyone inside the store. I answer only to my market health and wellness director.

Here is a statement that differs a lot of the ones that claim, a Walmart job is in a slave drivers paradise.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Here is a statement that differs a lot of the ones that claim, a Walmart job is in a slave drivers paradise.
    No that he said "My" job. I don't think that the claim/counter claims ever spoke for ALL cases.
    Last edited by Johns; 09-11-2014 at 10:44 AM.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunOptician View Post

A few points I'd like to point out based on previous comments.

The only day we are required to show up beyond the store's normal hours of operation is for Inventory.

We do not participate in Black Friday.

We do not alter our hours to compete with local eye centers.

My sentiments exactly, After 20 years as an independent Optical shop owner, I made the move to the "big guys" 8 years ago, I have to say it has been a pleasant surprise.
    Tennessee Licensed
    Georgia Licensed
    ABOC-AC
    NCLEC

Thread Information