Thread: Vision-Correcting Electronic Displays In The Works

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Vision-Correcting Electronic Displays In The Works

New display technology now in the research stages at the MIT Media Lab automatically corrects for vision defects, so users don't need to wear glasses or contact lenses. "The technique could lead to dashboard-mounted GPS displays that far-sighted drivers can consult without putting their glasses on," according to the MIT news release. The screen also could display 3-D content and diagnose the user's vision defects. "So the same device could, in effect, determine the user's prescription and automatically correct for it," said MIT. Researchers at the University of California at Berkeley also are participating in the research.

The display is a variation on a glasses-free 3-D technology also developed at MIT. But while the 3-D display projects slightly different images to the viewer's left and right eyes, the vision-correcting display projects slightly different images to different parts of the viewer's pupil. "Essentially, the new display simulates an image at the correct focal distance -- somewhere between the display and the viewer's eye," said MIT.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The principle tech guy behind Eyenetra got his PhD in the MIT Media lab. I read his thesis, where he payed out the concept behind both the Eyenetra and an elementary form of "tailored" display that would do what you are suggesting above.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...14-Feasibility
    I posted something like this last month. I think as a car display it would be a distraction more then anything - constantly averting your attention from the road to look at a monitor. The average person, unless they have specific training like police, would not be able to handle that. No your honor, I was watching where I was going, on a tiny tv I have on my dashboard.

Thread Information