Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflections? Advice here PLS

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Reflections? Advice here PLS

Hi all,
    I have a pt that is complaining of annoying/bothersome/unacceptable reflections. Now, he doesn't have AR on habitual, and does not on new ones either. I of course recommended AR but he declined. "I shouldn't have to pay another $$$ to get rid of reflections I didnt' have before"

Habitual: CR 39 Natural, Transitions OD +1.25 -0.75 X 130 OS +1.00 -0.75 X 010 +2.25 ADD
    New Rx CR 39 Natural, Transitions OD +2.25 -0.75 X 120 OS +1.75 -0.50 X 150 +2.50 ADD

I remade them bc original was not a Natural and the BC was different. So I matched Prog Brand, and BC just to make sure I was covering all bases to make them as similar as poss as habitual.
    Still. Doesn't. Help. He is upset and complaining of reflections.
    I don't know what to do for this man, nor do I have an answer for him. Here is my only thought.. Perhaps bc the magnification is so much higher than habitual, that reflections are ALSO being magnified enough to draw his attention to it now and was minimal before. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    P
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That's a good one. What do you do with stubborn mule? Perhaps a carrot. You may want to offer him a house AR at a discount but it may scratch easily and peel over time. There's really no easy answer for this. If he doesn't want to purchase an AR coating then he will continue to see the reflections with the new RX. Good for you for trying to figure something out, someone less scrupulous would have dismissed him. Unfortunately, hes either going to have to get the AR coating or deal with the reflections. There's no happy middle ground.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same frame?

Same wrap panto vertex?

Could be cataracts starting. Sometimes it's psychosomatic- in which case good luck!

Do the Indian test to see where they're coming from.

Have them hold their hand over their brow. Both hands cupped to the side and then one hand underneath bottom of lens to tell where the source of the reflection comes from. Also just noticed 40 degree left axis change could be a factor.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is truly not RX or cataract related, then just splash them in the brown tint and keep it movin' shorty.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Edge polish? Larger eye size?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Uncle Fester;491802]Same frame? Yes, used POF. Same vertex as well. Will try the Indian test if he comes back in. Yeah, I did see that axis shift but didnt' think that could be a factor. Also Cat starting as well, and I was going to talk to doc about that.

Thanks
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Using POF. Same wrap, same panto, same BC, same everything except RX. Think I'm sending him to the doc.

P
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula View Post
    Hi all,
    I have a pt that is complaining of annoying/bothersome/unacceptable reflections. Now, he doesn't have AR on habitual, and does not on new ones either. I of course recommended AR but he declined. "I shouldn't have to pay another $$$ to get rid of reflections I didnt' have before"

Habitual: CR 39 Natural, Transitions OD +1.25 -0.75 X 130 OS +1.00 -0.75 X 010 +2.25 ADD
    New Rx CR 39 Natural, Transitions OD +2.25 -0.75 X 120 OS +1.75 -0.50 X 150 +2.50 ADD

I remade them bc original was not a Natural and the BC was different. So I matched Prog Brand, and BC just to make sure I was covering all bases to make them as similar as poss as habitual.
    Still. Doesn't. Help. He is upset and complaining of reflections.
    I don't know what to do for this man, nor do I have an answer for him. Here is my only thought.. Perhaps bc the magnification is so much higher than habitual, that reflections are ALSO being magnified enough to draw his attention to it now and was minimal before. Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    P
    OP:

His Rx is nearly 2X in strength, so new annoyances can be expected. His backside radiuses are now flatter, and the lenses are centrally thicker. He needs a AR coating,

and coaching. Star by showing samples! I would not do any edge polish.
    Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by ml43 View Post
    Edge polish?
    Definately NOT unless you want to make the annoying reflections MORE annoying...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Try to slip the old lenses back into the frame without telling them.

You'd be surprised how often you'll hear how "they're still reflecting!".

(Yes to uncuts response as well.)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Try to slip the old lenses back into the frame without telling them.

You'd be surprised how often you'll hear how "they're still reflecting!".

(Yes to uncuts response as well.)
    Hah! This is exactly what I would do.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    His backside radiuses are now flatter...
    This was my first thought.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And sometimes the person is just coming in for a chat. No real issues other then what they think they can make up just to come in. Those are though ones. You have to decide if they have a legitimate problem or are they a bit of a hypochondriac. Sometimes I try to distract them from what they think is bothering them as I pretend to be doing something with the glasses and give them a ear to bend. That is the tough part of this profession for me. Who knows someday you may end up in their will.
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 08-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    All variables are pointing to it being a higher plus, flatter back surface. You can't help that without AR. Call the doc, tell him/her to recommend AR coating.

P.S. cataracts don't cause reflections. I know that all sorts of weird complaints can occur with them, but I never get that one.
    Last edited by drk; 08-28-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post

P.S. cataracts don't cause reflections. I know that all sorts of weird complaints can occur with them, but I never get that one.
    Thanks Doc! Remind me again next time I say that!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Just pull the old waiter trick: Tell them you think you know what's going on and you need to reorder. Keep them for a week and then call them back. I've lost count (in the food industry) on how often this works. I used it on a woman the other day who did the *the glasses don't work* bit before she put them on. loved the "2nd" pair.
    On the ethical side only do this when A) there is nothing wrong and they are just complaining. Or B) well there is no B for this.
    Remember to be like the Old Google and "Do No Evil."
    edit
    Before the reader thinks that I'm a bad optician I've done this in optical all of once. :^)

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Reflections, though, are not adaptation effects. I think they are real, and the picky jerks that see them are not going to be fooled. They'll just get frustrated and lose trust.

For nut-jobs, you can do "placebo therapy" effectively.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kaypaula View Post
    Using POF. Same wrap, same panto, same BC, same everything except RX. Think I'm sending him to the doc.

P
    Per Uncut, Wes, and drk, the flatter ocular curve can make the back surface reflections more noticeable.

The base curve on the new lenses should be steeper if the Rx has increased by about +1.00 D. This keeps the ocular curve in familiar territory (essentially unchanged). In other words, match the ocular curve, not the base curve. I'd guess you'll want something around +6.50 to +7.50, depending on what was used for the old lenses.

Don't switch to a highly aspheric (flatter BC) PAL- the ocular curve will be too flat, and if you bump the BC to help out, you'll trash the off-axis optics.

Hope this helps,
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    That's a great idear, Robert. I've never tried that approach.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Martellaro View Post
    Per Uncut, Wes, and drk, the flatter ocular curve can make the back surface reflections more noticeable.

The base curve on the new lenses should be steeper if the Rx has increased by about +1.00 D. This keeps the ocular curve in familiar territory (essentially unchanged). In other words, match the ocular curve, not the base curve. I'd guess you'll want something around +6.50 to +7.50, depending on what was used for the old lenses.

Don't switch to a highly aspheric (flatter BC) PAL- the ocular curve will be too flat, and if you bump the BC to help out, you'll trash the off-axis optics.

Hope this helps,
    +1 Uncut, +1 Wes, +1 drk, +1 Robert.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    These are all better suggestions than splashing in brown tint.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Are they on a 5.50 base or 6.50 base (IIRC those are offered in the Natural)? If the "habitual" are a 5.50, I'd remake the new pair using 6.50 BC, that's an awfully flat rear surface if they are made on a 5.50 BC.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Maybe they're seeing ghosts. ; ) ghost images.xlsx.zip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Boldt View Post
    Just pull the old waiter trick: Tell them you think you know what's going on and you need to reorder. Keep them for a week and then call them back. I've lost count (in the food industry) on how often this works. I used it on a woman the other day who did the *the glasses don't work* bit before she put them on. loved the "2nd" pair.
    On the ethical side only do this when A) there is nothing wrong and they are just complaining. Or B) well there is no B for this.
    Remember to be like the Old Google and "Do No Evil."
    edit
    Before the reader thinks that I'm a bad optician I've done this in optical all of once. :^)
    I might be concerned if my waiter took my order and didn't come back for a week. The bench method, although diabolical, sometimes works the best =D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    As suggested in the thread your client maybe suffering from reflections or ghost images, particularly Ghost Image 4 (object from behind, reflecting off back surface of the lens into the eye) due to the lower portion on the lens or add power. This particular reflection is the brightest and does not have to be in focus to be problematic. If the lens is a digital natural then the problem is going to be worst in this case. I suggest an AR coating to minimize the amount of reflection.

Thread Information