Thread: Funny patient perspective on Rx 's

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Funny patient perspective on Rx 's

Has anyone ever had a patient who thought that their Rx lenses were some sort of liquid that "runs out"? I had a patient the other day who said his glasses "prescription is running out, and I need the doctor to put some more prescription in it," and he continued to shake the glasses as if to demonstrate that the prescription "juice" is running out.

Also, on the same note, I had a patient the other day who kept insisting that he wants "just the 'good ole' fashion prescription" in his new glasses. I tried my best to explain to him that he had presbyopia and would benefit from some sort of a multi-focal lens-- But he wasn't having any of this, he kept saying: "NO!! I just want the 'good ole fashion' prescription that gives me the 20/20 da#mit !!!" -- I actually have had multiple patients like that, where I am trying to explain in the easiest terms about correcting different focal lengths and they keep insisting that all they want is 20/20 and nothing else!!! "I don't want bi-focals of any kind!! I just want the 20/20!!!!

Anyone else have similar stories?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This is very common in the south from what I understand, the whole medicine running out idea. I've only heard it once in Connecticut. As for the other, yeah that can be tough too.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have the second happen every one in a blue moon. The first one is hilarious.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes the medicine running out is a common one here in the deep southeast. Common among our African/American (what ever that is. To me born and raised in america you are a American) But none the less. I have heard it so much I ignore it and move on to the next question.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The "med-sin" tends to wear out in urban areas more frequently, around here. Just put a lil more in, they ask. They also want us to get them "med-sin" for their "cadillacs" and "dibeetus." Some even think you can "catch" the dibeetus.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    The "med-sin" tends to wear out in urban areas more frequently, around here. Just put a lil more in, they ask. They also want us to get them "med-sin" for their "cadillacs" and "dibeetus." Some even think you can "catch" the dibeetus.
    Ignorance and lack of education are HI-LA-rious!

Misconceptions about the art of Opticianry abound regardless of socio-economic status. I've got some folks in my neck of the woods (affluent and mostly white) that just DO. NOT. GET. IT. A college degree is by no means the golden ticket of intelligence.

I'm here to educate. Hopefully after someone has left my dispensing table they will have a greater understanding of what goes into the eyewear process even if they haven't chosen to let me make their glasses.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    This is very common in the south from what I understand, the whole medicine running out idea. I've only heard it once in Connecticut. As for the other, yeah that can be tough too.
    I hear it all the time here. They seem to think there's a medicine dropper full of seein' juice in my pocket.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    You can catch the dibeetus from drinking too much sweet tea.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    How about:

"Will I be able to read with these?"
    "Yes"
    "That's so nice. I always wanted to be able to read."

Now I just tell them they'll be able to see up close. And I NEVER ask them to read the card. I just ask them if it looks ok.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "seein' juice" in the dropper. I like that.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can tell Wes is having fun with this one.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great to see you back at it Wes! I can't say I've had a question like this one, but I can attest to the fact that higher education does not coincide with inteligence. Lots of engineers and scientists in my community and it scares me that they work with nuclear products sometimes.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    They seem to think there's a medicine dropper full of seein' juice in my pocket.
    LOL @ seein' juice!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had an older gentleman come into my clinic years ago, shaking his glasses so violently, that I thought they would fly out of his hands and hit someone, "dad burn glasses running out of stuff", he kept saying. I had to hold the guys hand and tell him if he continued to shake his glasses he would use up his prescription. He comes in every couple of months to see if the lenses are still full o'prescription. He's definitely one of those characters life gives us, to put things into perspective.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I even have had a patient tell me there was a puddle on her nightstand. 8) For some reason it doesn't seem possible to some people that their eyes won't work the same way all their lives. It must be the glasses that change!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    I had an older gentleman come into my clinic years ago, shaking his glasses so violently, that I thought they would fly out of his hands and hit someone, "dad burn glasses running out of stuff", he kept saying. I had to hold the guys hand and tell him if he continued to shake his glasses he would use up his prescription. He comes in every couple of months to see if the lenses are still full o'prescription. He's definitely one of those characters life gives us, to put things into perspective.
    I'll take all of the engineers if you take all of those characters.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I'll take all of the engineers if you take all of those characters.
    Thanks Wes, but engineers buy. Characters eat our candy and complain when we don't have enough milk chocolate.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    SO VERY TRUE PAUL!!!

Remember every one ... 1% of the population is crazier than a bag full of cats!

CS

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    Ignorance and lack of education are HI-LA-rious!

Misconceptions about the art of Opticianry abound regardless of socio-economic status. I've got some folks in my neck of the woods (affluent and mostly white) that just DO. NOT. GET. IT. A college degree is by no means the golden ticket of intelligence.

I'm here to educate. Hopefully after someone has left my dispensing table they will have a greater understanding of what goes into the eyewear process even if they haven't chosen to let me make their glasses.

True ... My two stories that I have mentioned were people of, what seemed to be, from an affluent background. You're right, some people just do NOT get it. I also had a guy the other day (same demographic) who said, "Can you tell me what I am for vision?"

Me: "Sure, do you mean your new prescription?"

Patient: "NO! Just tell me what I am!" -- (I am thinking in my head "wow this is getting closer to a spiritual level")

Me: "I am sorry sir, but do you mean your new glasses prescription, or your updated prescription from today's visit?"

Patient: "NO! Don't you understand me? Tell me what I am for vision, like the 20/20 stuff!!!"

Me: "I'm sorry sir, I think I know what you're trying to articulate now... Do you mean your visual acuities (how clear you can see) aided and unaided (with or without current eyewear)?"

Patient: "NO! Just tell me if I'm 20/20 or not da%^it!!!!"

Can you imagine if I started to explain to him in depth about "the 20/20" and how it involves visually resolving the critical gap between optotypes of 1.0 arc minutes?? LOL

Some people just will NEVER get it!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've always said it's an art to know how to communicate with the patient. I sometimes cringe when a newer optician (I use that word lightly) is trying so hard to explain features of a lens in such technical jargon to a patient and it's so clearly going over their heads. Or watching an engineer look down on someone for not explaining the physics of a digital lens. This is why a machine will never replace a person.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that properly communicating is an art. Communicating is about sharing information and increasing understanding. If all you've done is dazzle your patient with technical jargon and he/she doesn't walk away better informed than they were to start with, then all you've accomplished is to stroke your ego at the patient's expense.

Thread Information