Thread: Frame adjustment question

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Frame adjustment question

Hello i have a question regarding a adjustment. If one side of the frame front is sitting closer to the eye (for example the right one) what is the best method to bring that back into alignment?

Are you suppose too push the left temple in?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    If the R eyewire is too close to the eye, bring the R temple tighter in or bend the L temple out. I'm sure there's a diagram somewhere that would illustrate the mechanics.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper proud opticians of days gone by roll over in their graves............................

The Lost Art of Eyeglass Adjustments
    There is a commercial currently running on local TV which is enough to make proud opticians of days gone by roll over in their graves.

The voice in the commercial
    is informing about the “…best value in eyeglasses…two pair for $99…” while we view the action on screen.

Picture this: A young, female patient/customer is sitting at a dispensing table, awaiting delivery of her eyeglasses. The dispenser brings the glasses to the table, hands them to the customer, who places them on her head. The “optician” seems to ask a question of the customer, who smiles, shakes her head yes, stands up and makes her exit. That, apparently, is the end of dispensing process. But should it be?

When my wife, Andrea, graduated from Opticianry School in the 1980s, personalizing the fit and adjusting eyeglasses was a huge part of the curriculum. Likewise, while I was completing my three-year apprenticeship, more time was spent teaching me the intricacies of adjusting eyeglass frames than any other aspect of opticianry. Fast forward thirty years later and I am afraid that the approach to adjustments (in terms of schooling) has taken a back seat to nearly every other aspect of opticianry. Apprentice sponsors gloss over the topic. Saddest of all, before attempting any adjustment whatsoever, many eye care professionals feel the need to ask patients a question that no dentist, chiropractor, or other caregiver would even think of: “Is it okay if I touch you?”

read all of it ------------>

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2...djustments.asp

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Just finished reading an article on struggling to learn. It's the process of learning and so much better than just giving an answer. Get yourself some old frames, and misalign them, and then go through the process of realigning them. You will learn more.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmessi View Post
    Hello i have a question regarding a adjustment. If one side of the frame front is sitting closer to the eye (for example the right one) what is the best method to bring that back into alignment?

Are you suppose too push the left temple in?
    Come on already! You asked this same type question over a year ago!

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...934#post454934

Please educate yourself! Your patients deserve it!

The book, System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, is a must read.

Sign up on Opticianworks. Learn something........ANYTHING! Take some pride in what you do for a living!

http://opticianworks.com
    Last edited by Fezz; 08-28-2014 at 08:15 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OMG Fezz! Thats funny as HE2hocky sticks! Can we say BUSTED!

Maybe Mrmessi is a very very slow learner and cant grasp the concept. Or they have a very poor memory and don't recall asking the question. None the less hes/shes looking a bit foolish right now.

I needed this to start my long weekend on a light note.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Dagg View Post
    If the R eyewire is too close to the eye, bring the R temple tighter in or bend the L temple out. I'm sure there's a diagram somewhere that would illustrate the mechanics.
    Thank you, surprised a optician couldn't answer it, had to come from a optometrist.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you, surprised a optician couldn't answer it, had to come from a optometrist.
    Surprised a person in the "Optical Retail" a year later still had not learned the basic's of dispensing and adjusting 101. Best of luck to you sir/mam.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Surprised a person in the "Optical Retail" a year later still had not learned the basic's of dispensing and adjusting 101. Best of luck to you sir/mam.
    I work on and off, not a optician, I help a few people out, i don't need luck, I just come here for help because everyone here is friendly so i thought. I like to be reminded, it refreshens the memory.

Also I'm sure you do well, with a attitude like yours who wouldn't.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good gracious I hope every time I post a question here my post history is not researched. I am sure to repeat myself, especially if it has been a while or I am in a pickle at the office. Why must we disparage each other and question skill, experience at every turn? Why not just be friendly and helpful and move along?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You assume opticians couldn't answer a basic question simply because an optometrist chimed in first? And as Fezz (of the elephant memory) has noted, you asked this question before. And had it answered, by two opticians and a lab guy.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I shall attempt to refrain from anything that may be considered a snide, smart-alec, condescending remark. Its just hard for me to hold myself in check when the door gets thrown wide open. But I will for my own humor continue to watch this thread. Which is probably over with by now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fred offered some sound basic advice, the frame front could also be bent, not properly aligned. System for Ophthalmic Dispensing, must read. Lost art of adjustment. Advice is free for the asking, what you do or have done with that advice is a direct result of your current ability.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opty4062 View Post
    Good gracious I hope every time I post a question here my post history is not researched. I am sure to repeat myself, especially if it has been a while or I am in a pickle at the office. Why must we disparage each other and question skill, experience at every turn? Why not just be friendly and helpful and move along?
    Yeah... And researching post history on an optical forum seems a little stalker-ish lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by NMoptic View Post
    Yeah... And researching post history on an optical forum seems a little stalker-ish lol
    Yes and I noticed that you have only posted 5 times NMoptic.
    Why is that? lol

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    All this stuff makes me laugh. I'm ready for Vegas!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In defense of Fezz (though he is very capable of defending himself) he has a photographic memory (no joke!). I'm sure he simply remembered this poster asked the same question before.

In defense of the OP (though I'm sure they can do so themselves) nobody was born knowing anything optical. We all start somewhere, and we all have asked the same, sometimes silly question more than once. I'm sure there are many newbie lookers here, but wouldn't dare post a question in fear of being devoured by the mob. Consider being a mentor rather than a snarkster.

[rant mode/off] Everyone have a safe and great weekend!

Thread Information