Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty:496162
    Luzerne has them now.
    Great! Can't wait to give them a try.!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dv View Post
    I can absolutely see how it may seem close-minded. And yes you are correct, I do need a larger test group. Right now I only have two people in the office who wear progressives. We are a very small office. I have practically a 0% non adapt rate so far. The price point on the regular non-free form Comforts is right on the line as to what my patients can afford. These are patients that in the past had been in old fashioned Outlooks, Image, and at one point the optician here would only dispense regular SolaMax. We would have non adapts all the time which would take up valuable chair time. Of course with so many parameters coming into play regarding whether a patient will adapt or not (correct SH, fitting of frame, explanation of how to use them etc), I am sure the possibilities are endless and not necessarily an issue regarding the lenses themselves. All I can go by is the fact that ever since I have been thrust into full responsibility of the dispensing (aside from everything else) I have had consistent success and patient satisfaction with the Comfort. I am open to newer options if the price is the same. I don't have many patients that can afford more than what we are charging for the Comfort as is. But this is why I posted the question. I rely on the experience and wisdom of others as well. And very grateful for it. I am open to any suggestions you all may have.
    "People don't buy what they need, people buy what they want. All you have to do to be successful in sales is provide that "want".

Zig Zigler

"How do people know what they want unless we show them?"

Steve Jobs, Apple

Those are the two things I apply to Every Patient, whether they wear a suit in or ragged clothes. I never judge what a patient can "afford". And, I sell nothing but Premium Free Form lenses for progressives and the frames on my board start at $120. And, I'm located in the "Rust Belt" of the country.
    Last edited by SailorEd; 11-04-2014 at 02:58 PM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." --Henry Ford

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." --Henry Ford
    Ok, Judy. Here's a question for you. With the Superior lens, I "believe" that the measurements required to optomally process the lens, besides the normal measurements, are:

• Angle of facial form
    • Angle of panto tilt

I don't believe vertex distance is necessary, although I may be wrong.

Do you know if there is anything else?

And, ah, hmmm. Faster Horses. Henry Ford Huh?

I like this better:

"Faster Horses, Younger Women, Stronger Whiskey and More Money" ... Tom T. Hall.
    Last edited by SailorEd; 11-05-2014 at 06:38 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can also customize for preferred reading distance.

http://seikoeyewear.com/media/wysiwyg/jcob/Superior.pdf

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You can also customize for preferred reading distance.

http://seikoeyewear.com/media/wysiwyg/jcob/Superior.pdf
    Judy, can't the reading distance be customized during the refraction or through trail framing. Would you not also require the full ADD along with the refracted near focal and the desired customized near? It seems a bit redundant to me.
    Last edited by Paul Smith LDO; 11-17-2014 at 02:12 PM.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The customization is for the inset, enabling the Optician to choose between 0.0mm and 5.0mm in 0.1mm increments and the inset can be chosen individually for right and left lenses.

In theory, you're correct, the reading distance correction should be calculated during the exam or with a trial frame. In practice, it's rarely done. There just isn't time any more.

I can't remember the last time my personal OD or my OMD asked me to demonstrate my most comfortable reading position.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The customization is for the inset, enabling the Optician to choose between 0.0mm and 5.0mm in 0.1mm increments and the inset can be chosen individually for right and left lenses.

In theory, you're correct, the reading distance correction should be calculated during the exam or with a trial frame. In practice, it's rarely done. There just isn't time any more.

I can't remember the last time my personal OD or my OMD asked me to demonstrate my most comfortable reading position.
    We do it all day long here. Thanks for the info.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith LDO View Post
    Paul, just a sidenote here, and I know it's off-topic. I know the state of Washington has licensing requirements for their opticians and I believe it is really strict. Here in Northwestern Pa. we are flanked to the east by New York and to the west by Ohio, both have licensing requirements. It kills me to see the level of unprofessionalism and lack of knowledge among our "opticians" in a state that does not require ANYTHING to be an optician. Many "opticians" can't even use a lensometer. They have no idea. Many places hire people who they deem are good at sales and then give them a little knowledge and tell them to "sell, sell, sell". Well, at least we are not in the stone age here since Pennsylvania DOES require a license to cut hair!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by SailorEd View Post
    Paul, just a sidenote here, and I know it's off-topic. I know the state of Washington has licensing requirements for their opticians and I believe it is really strict. Here in Northwestern Pa. we are flanked to the east by New York and to the west by Ohio, both have licensing requirements. It kills me to see the level of unprofessionalism and lack of knowledge among our "opticians" in a state that does not require ANYTHING to be an optician. Many "opticians" can't even use a lensometer. They have no idea. Many places hire people who they deem are good at sales and then give them a little knowledge and tell them to "sell, sell, sell". Well, at least we are not in the stone age here since Pennsylvania DOES require a license to cut hair!
    Yes, but they know how to fit a POL, sell a transmission, and don't get me started with, - cyl axis at. As far as your last statement is concerned, the writing is on the wall and I think we had better opticians in the stone age.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fortunately, since my iFit will measure my reading distance, I can calculate the power I need.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any real world users of this lens getting feedback as yet? I know it's still hot off the presses...but wondering if any patient data has started to come in yet?

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone know when this will be VSP eligible? I don't see it listed yet in products drop down.

Comped pair to my co-hort in crime loves his.

-4.00ish add+2.50

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Anyone know when this will be VSP eligible? I don't see it listed yet in products drop down.

Comped pair to my co-hort in crime loves his.

-4.00ish add+2.50
    If we know VSP - probably never. Or if they do add, it is likely to be years down the line, in a new category requiring a co-pay almost equal to the retail cost of the lens anyway. ;)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Anyone know when this will be VSP eligible?
    Since VSP has their own house line, they are making impossible for many manufacturers to get approved... despite the great technology. Seiko doesn't play VSPs new game, and they are unlikely to be approved.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Any real world users of this lens getting feedback as yet? I know it's still hot off the presses...but wondering if any patient data has started to come in yet?
    Good feedback so far... but like the Surmount it must be fit on center and include near mono-pd for best results. Its my favorite driving lens..

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spoke with Mike at DEL, they should be available soon.
    Too bad they only use their standard Claris AR -- not the Claris Plus.
    Last edited by jefe; 12-09-2014 at 12:00 PM. Reason: typo

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Good feedback so far... but like the Surmount it must be fit on center and include near mono-pd for best results. Its my favorite driving lens..
    Good to note, thanks. I got a call from Mike about a week back, and he said DEL has the design now. Same pricing as the Surmount is my understanding based on what he told me. Haven't heard anything about A/R choices though.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Too bad they only use their standard Claris AR -- not the Claris Plus.
    I'd call them on that, I was told that the Claris Plus or ClarisHD replaced the standard Claris some time back.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Good to note, thanks. I got a call from Mike about a week back, and he said DEL has the design now. Same pricing as the Surmount is my understanding based on what he told me. Haven't heard anything about A/R choices though.
    At this time the only AR choice is the ClarisHD.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We can also specify monocular inset with Nikon SeeMax.

Anyone know of any other progressives (freeform or traditional mold) where we can specify a different inset OD vs OS ?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mystyle V+ I think you can specify different insets R and L

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obiwan View Post
    Mystyle V+ I think you can specify different insets R and L
    I could not verify that on any of the Hoya websites around the world...

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any one knows best AR coating for Seiko Superior and is there any blue light cutting off coating available?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The "new" "Seiko Super Resistant" AR appears to be very, very good so far. Its being done at Hoya facility, me thinks it is basically EX3. highly recommended

Thread Information