Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stolen frame caught red handed.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

stolen frame caught red handed.

I've actually never caught someone red handed before so what should the next step be ya think?

I do a quick spot check of inventory before I leave for the day. I noticed a hole in the display and decided to run back the recording for the day and saw a kid put this frame directly in his girl friends purse and walk out.

So should I call the kid and say I know what you did!!!

or call the Police station and let them take care of it?

it was a $635 frame so I think that is a felony.

kid is 18 so might call parents and tell his dad on him.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Police.

Back in the day we used to have a deal with the police. They don't sell glasses and we don't arrest thieves.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You obviously know who the young scalawag is, I would start with a phone call to the parental unit. I have had zero assistance from my local Gendarme. My initial reaction is to go Old Testament but it doesn't look good when your 6' 4" at 235 and I can break a number 2 pencil with my bare hands. If you don't get any satisfaction with the elders then try 911.
    I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. Mark Twain

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We hang horse thieves down here! ( well....I do....) I'd lasso him, tie his legs and arms in a 3 knot hitch, drag him through the goat pasture and throw him on the cow manure compost pile and leave him for the coyotes! But I see your not in Texas.... Anyway, If I were you, I'd call his folks, let them know I've got it on video and you or your kid owes me 635 bucks. The frame is used now ( in my opinion) AND stolen, I'm not going to take it back and sell it to my honest clients.

If they're contrite, apologize and pay I'll let them handle it internally. ( My 18 yr old would see my dark side..) if not, call the cops and press charges......Or, get your rope...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    I've actually never caught someone red handed before so what should the next step be ya think?

I do a quick spot check of inventory before I leave for the day. I noticed a hole in the display and decided to run back the recording for the day and saw a kid put this frame directly in his girl friends purse and walk out.

So should I call the kid and say I know what you did!!!

or call the Police station and let them take care of it?

it was a $635 frame so I think that is a felony.

kid is 18 so might call parents and tell his dad on him.
    The possible consequence of parental involvement is a small lesson learned.......I would and have called the police. The consequence is far more influential towards correcting the long term behaviour of this up-and-coming adult and contributor to society. Having daddy smooth the road for him, and his girlfriend(accomplice) is not in anyone's best interests. My opinion, only.
    Eyes wide open

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The parents know the kid is a pos( piece of poop) and I would call the police and tell them it might be a group effort! Let them sort it out.
    I got caught stealing candy when I was a kid and my mother made me go back in and apologize while she paid for it and thew it in the garbage.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    The parents know the kid is a pos( piece of poop) and I would call the police and tell them it might be a group effort! Let them sort it out.
    I got caught stealing candy when I was a kid and my mother made me go back in and apologize while she paid for it and thew it in the garbage.
    And you ended up turning out pretty good eh Craig? :)

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It takes a village, call the parents and offer a deal. Kid comes in and cleans bathrooms for a year and no police involvement.

The police have no interest in creating good citizens. You can get restitution, teach a young man a lesson and feel good.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of my employees was missing 5 frames after a mother/daughter visited the office.

My employee called the mother, told her that she suspected the daughter, and said that we only review the tapes in the presence of the police. If the mother would talk to the daughter, we would not call the police. 10 minutes later, the mother storms in, dragging the daughter by the ear, and hands over the frames. Luckily, it worked out this time.

(BTW, we don't have a camera in that particular store)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    One of my employees was missing 5 frames after a mother/daughter visited the office.

My employee called the mother, told her that she suspected the daughter, and said that we only review the tapes in the presence of the police. If the mother would talk to the daughter, we would not call the police. 10 minutes later, the mother storms in, dragging the daughter by the ear, and hands over the frames. Luckily, it worked out this time.

(BTW, we don't have a camera in that particular store)
    Even at my age my mother has a bigger impact on me then a random uniform.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    It takes a village, call the parents and offer a deal. Kid comes in and cleans bathrooms for a year and no police involvement.

The police have no interest in creating good citizens. You can get restitution, teach a young man a lesson and feel good.
    This^

Talk with the kids parents, if they respond appropriately then he should learn a hard lesson. If he is 18 and it is a felony theft amount then he will likely be dealing with that for the rest of his life, which is not easy.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Send parents the bill. DO NOT LOSE THIS SALE!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whatever you decide to do, please let us know the outcome. :)

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We only recently delt with this, we gave the cops the tape and the frame model, color and all box numbers, they actually recognized the guy and busted him wearing his "hot" Maui Jims walking down the street like two days later. If I had a chart and knew who this kid is and where he lives I would bust his a$$, if you saw him do it first hand and had the oppertunity to give him a chance to hand it over you can do that, but you cannot detain a person without an actual certified security personel hired for this sort of thing.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    call the POPO. Probably is a repeat offender.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Who in this thread has NOT done something really stupid as a KID that you have never forgot about?
    Since when has a age number defined someone as mature and responsible. That number only tells you that at age 18 they SHOULD be. But in todays world we have 30 something year olds still living at home with mommy and daddy, not working and all they do is play video GAMES. So what if they are "good at it." It does not pay the bills, mommy and daddy do.
    What I am saying here is he made a KID mistake. He should not spend the rest of his ADULT life paying for it.
    Get the parents involved. If they are REAL parents and not kids themselves they will make sure the kid learns a lesson.
    Show the kid and the parent the video of him. Ask them to pay for the frame and send them on their way. Doing that you gave the kid a chance to grow up and get back on track. Parents will have to deal with it then. If you want to be involved find a way to get some free labor out of the kid for a while but let the parents be involved.
    I'm just saying cut the kid some slack for a dumb stupid KID mistake. Give him a chance to learn from it. Let him have a chance to learn how many hours someone has to work to earn enough money to buy a frame that expensive.
    If for some reason the deal does not work out or you cant even work with them then wash your hands of them and let the authorities take care of it.
    Oh and buy the way.....last I understood anything over $5.00 is a felony. WOW they not cutting anyone any slack there now are they?
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 08-26-2014 at 11:43 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You can call the police they will try to resolve it, However you don't have to press charges. something like that the police would try to resolve it with out arrest if it is a first time offender. Should scare the *#$% out of him I hope.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So, what happened?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So here is what has happened so far, called the police, showed them the video and made a copy for their records. They went to arrest him, (we had his address) then... following day I started my short but sweet vacation and just got back today. So I'll update a bit later.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    I'm just saying cut the kid some slack for a dumb stupid KID mistake. Give him a chance to learn from it. Let him have a chance to learn how many hours someone has to work to earn enough money to buy a frame that expensive.
    About the only thing this little brat is going to learn is that his parental units will take care of the situation. The child must learn that there are consequences for his behavior. An encounter with the judicial system might be just the thing.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That is if his parental units actually parent.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No this gives the parents a chance to DO THEIR JOB. BE A PARENT and correct the child that has gone astray. Make sure the punishment is not a pleasant one. Now if the child has done this before then yes it is time to face the music and you will have to pay the price for the rest of your life.
    I just do not believe that anyone at 18 years old has the ability to comprehend the full magnitude of such a stupid mistake.
    They can no longer vote, carry a gun, run for public office. Seriously do you think they are even THINKING of those things at 18 years old.
    Lets just say I am not willing to help someone make their mistake even worse for them. I want to help them learn from it. If I start feeling that your not going to then its time for me to step aside.
    Last edited by CCGREEN; 08-27-2014 at 12:03 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    No this gives the parents a chance to DO THEIR JOB. BE A PARENT and correct the child that has gone astray.
    I agree with you 100%. At 18 years old, legally you are an adult but mentally, especially if you are a guy (sorry dudes, but you know this is true), you are still very child-like and your brain is still developing. I know plenty of stand-up people (with fantastic parents) who made some really dumb and life-altering decisions at that age. Pop the kid and punish him but keep the heavy-handed vengeance to a dull roar.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I agree with you 100%. At 18 years old, legally you are an adult but mentally, especially if you are a guy (sorry dudes, but you know this is true), you are still very child-like and your brain is still developing. I know plenty of stand-up people (with fantastic parents) who made some really dumb and life-altering decisions at that age. Pop the kid and punish him but keep the heavy-handed vengeance to a dull roar.
    They don't call NC God's country for nothin'.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanfast View Post
    So here is what has happened so far, called the police, showed them the video and made a copy for their records. They went to arrest him, (we had his address) then... following day I started my short but sweet vacation and just got back today. So I'll update a bit later.
    So how did this end then?

Thread Information