Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ad for optician job

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ad for optician job

Saw this ad today and wanted to share with my optician friends. Do you think they'll fill the position.

Our client in Harrisburg, PA is seeking a highly organized and energetic individual to join their company as a Retail Sales Associate. Qualified candidates must have 3-5 years of retail sales/customer service experience, be proficient in all Microsoft Office programs, excellent phone skills, excellent people skills, and type at least 30 wpm. Optician experience is strongly preferred. Basic knowledge of fashion is a plus. Must be available to work during all retail store hours which are 11am - 6pm / Monday through Friday and 10am - 2pm on Saturdays. Pay rate is $10.00 per hour. Criminal background check and drug screen required. Our client operates a Smoke Free Work Environment. If you meet ALL qualifications and are interested in this position

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    wow, $10.00/hr for ALL those prereqs...amazing

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wait---The trickle down is coming...really..this time for sure!!!

Corporate mentality- and it's been working GREAT for the last 30+ years!

All power to the shareholder!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    $10 per hour?

Seems about right!

That is what this business has become!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Micky D's pays more and your lunch is free!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    heres a little story id like to tell, but its not about 3 bad brothers that you might know well. I meet all of throes requirements and last year I started a position at that rate. Well, after showing the big hoss that he was paying to much for lenses (10-15k a year to much) and magically fixing all of the computers, mysteriously boosting sales, and wondrously making customers see the benefits of ar/different material/progressive over lined and which one is appropriate and what? whats that you say? 5 years of lab experience to? well, hot damn. Now im not tooting my own horn mind you, Im just saying that I have some skills and in times of need you do what you must to support yourself and your family. This was the only game in a 50 mile radius. We are out there and we are starving for work. Its a corporate mentality for sure saying $10 an hour. Whats that? you don't meet all of the qualifications, that's ok we will train you but you'll only be making 7.50 an hour. Don't like that? No problem kid we have 20 more to interview today for the position.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Honestly, jobs like this do help those that want to enter the field. Experience trumps most things in Opticianry employment. Plus it clears the chaff. Many that enter this field leave rather quickly. Just don't stay too long at one place at 1st. If you want top dollar, be prepared to relocate.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by himmeroo View Post
    Optician experience is strongly preferred.
    Criminal background check and drug screen required.
    C'mon...what do you want, and optician, or an altar boy?? You can't have both!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Honestly, jobs like this do help those that want to enter the field. Experience trumps most things in Opticianry employment. Plus it clears the chaff. Many that enter this field leave rather quickly. Just don't stay too long at one place at 1st. If you want top dollar, be prepared to relocate.
    Why don't people who "enter" the field go to school like every other health-related field in the country? Maybe then this kind of silliness would go away, and we could then start to look towards improving this field. We continue to decline every year. It is really unfortunate.......but hey, "apprenticeship" is the way, right?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Why don't people who "enter" the field go to school like every other health-related field in the country?

The argument could be made that why would anybody go to school to earn $10 an hour?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    Why don't people who "enter" the field go to school like every other health-related field in the country? Because it's not mandatory! If a person didn't have to pass a test and pay for a license, how many folks would do so in order to drive a car legally?
    Maybe then this kind of silliness would go away, and we could then start to look towards improving this field. How come even licensed states don't require schooling? Even those states allow an apprenticeship entry point. All some of those state have done is protect the use of the term "Optician", but a rose by any other name...

We continue to decline every year. It is really unfortunate.......but hey, "apprenticeship" is the way, right? Opticianry leadership has continued the mantra of educate then legislate for decades. Where has that got us? How many states have been licensed since Ohio 35 years ago? You know my thoughts on this Warren. Opticianry will have to be drug into the classroom, kicking and screaming before we'll see education the norm for entry. The only way that's gonna happen is if it's legislated, mandatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The argument could be made that why would anybody go to school to earn $10 an hour?

And here's the ultimate answer, at least for now...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It will always be the answer if we do not do something proactive to expand our role. You are correct, education must be mandated for Opticians. You mention leadership, and I am not sure that is a good term, George. But the reality is that it takes so little to do what Opticians currently do that virtually anyone can do it.......and virtually is taking on a new meaning today. Until we move to formalize this field across the country we will never expand our professional responsibilities, and continue to decline. Fess is absolutely correct, and many in Optometry felt that way prior to their move forward.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The higher paying jobs seek out the opticians that display more than just a working knowledge of the profession. REALLY good opticians, those with a deep understanding of optics, yet have an understanding of how people should be treated, and an ability to convert the two into profits, (sorry, I let the "P" word slip again), are in extremely high demand, and are commanding above average wages.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    heres a little story id like to tell, but its not about 3 bad brothers that you might know well. I meet all of throes requirements and last year I started a position at that rate. Well, after showing the big hoss that he was paying to much for lenses (10-15k a year to much) and magically fixing all of the computers, mysteriously boosting sales, and wondrously making customers see the benefits of ar/different material/progressive over lined and which one is appropriate and what? whats that you say? 5 years of lab experience to? well, hot damn. Now im not tooting my own horn mind you, Im just saying that I have some skills and in times of need you do what you must to support yourself and your family. This was the only game in a 50 mile radius. We are out there and we are starving for work. Its a corporate mentality for sure saying $10 an hour. Whats that? you don't meet all of the qualifications, that's ok we will train you but you'll only be making 7.50 an hour. Don't like that? No problem kid we have 20 more to interview today for the position.
    I'm sorry to hear that you are underpaid for the services you have delivered, but someone else in a similar position might pack their bags and head to a higher paying area. I understand that you have children and circumstances that may not allow for such a move, but that further illustrates that it is not always a matter of the employers, but also life situations (whether created by self, or outside forces) that often play a bigger role in restricting what you can make.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    no, I don't think im underpaid. Im a little bitter about the life circumstances and situations took me out of a job making twice what im making now. Im also doing the work of three people and I now live in a frozen hellish wasteland. Other then that I have no strong feelings about it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    So after doing all that for your employer......putting money in their pocket with savy buying and excellent salesmanship, have you asked for a bump in salary? You of all people would appear to be very deserving!

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    So after doing all that for your employer......putting money in their pocket with savy buying and excellent salesmanship, have you asked for a bump in salary? You of all people would appear to be very deserving!

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Hes a great boss really, I have very little to complain about. Im truly thankful for what I do have, I was a little cranky in that post =/ sorry everyone. I have a lot of autonomy here. Working in both the lab and out front gives my certain freedoms that I take advantage of. I get to try new things and experiment with stuff that the typical employee here probably wouldn't get away with. If I can rationalize my ideas using facts and logic with him, he'll normally let me do just about anything I want. Ive gotten a few increases since then and im very happy for it.

Thanks for listening =)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the small town that I've been handing resumes out in, no one will even consider me because I'm not licensed in their state, even though I've been licensed for the last 12 in Connecticut, or have a college degree, or have 18 years experience. And these are all private practices where they don't have to hire a licensed optician.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    In the small town that I've been handing resumes out in, no one will even consider me because I'm not licensed in their state, even though I've been licensed for the last 12 in Connecticut, or have a college degree, or have 18 years experience. And these are all private practices where they don't have to hire a licensed optician.

IDIOTS!

Sorry that you are dealing with this Annie! What a total BUMMER!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    LOL, thanks Fezz. Im telling you, Fezz-Johns need to open a place in the puget sound....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got a call today from a former co-worker who is looking for another job. She has excellent opticianry skills, and is licensed in N.Y., and also cross-trained to do pre-testing (corneal topography, auto-refractor, etc.). She has been working at this practice for about 8 years, makes $21 per hour, and has not had a raise since 2009. What???? And - she has promoted the practice on social networks, organized trunk shows, and other promotional events. She is responsible for much of the increased dispensing income in this office. The doctors seem deaf and blind to her requests. So.... you doctors out there take note - opticians are valuable to your bottom line, and they have legs.
    Annie - your dream job will come. At least you are in a dream environment!
    Lost and confused in an optical wonderland!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We're a large OMD practice. Recent conversations have revealed that the starting wage for the front desk personnel exceed our new starting pay for opticians. Wow. And Ouch.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    C'mon...what do you want, and optician, or an altar boy?? You can't have both!
    ha.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    We're a large OMD practice. Recent conversations have revealed that the starting wage for the front desk personnel exceed our new starting pay for opticians. Wow. And Ouch.
    and boo to this

Thread Information