Thread: Brand new Optician, Advice?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave Brand new Optician, Advice?

I reside in CA and I recently passed my ABO and got my license all squared away. I'm working on getting the study materials together and money for the NCLE so I can take it as soon as possible. Then eventually get the money together to go to school in Nevada for Opticians.

The hitch in my master plan I've recently come to realize is... I don't really feel like the ABO or the materials I used to study for the test has prepared me for anything in the field . In the area I live in very few places actually have their own "labs", most of the job opportunities here are boutiques in the San Francisco area and major retailers (Costco, Sears, Walmart, Warby Parker,JC Pennys, ect). There are however a couple of Kaisers and LensCrafters nearby. I strolled through and read quite a few pages from the "TIPS" section here but most seem to apply to lab work.

Now to the heart of my question that I was hoping to get advice on, what can I look forward to at working at these places? From talking to a few Opticians in this area my understanding is that you are frame and coating salesmen under a strict quota. I personally hate the feeling of being completely unprepared, SO...

Any advice for a new Optician starting out in this part of the field?
    What information/skills will I need to be able to do my job effectively?
    Is there anything I can work on now while I'm beginning to apply to be more efficient?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good reading materials for new opticians?

Cwill- Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Network.......find a mentor, make friends, read as many dispensing books as you can stomach, practice, practice, practice!

Will your soul allow you to work at one of those mentioned places?

Why not look into private practices?

The optical world is your oyster......go shuck it!
    Last edited by Fezz; 08-11-2014 at 03:25 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fezz, as usual is right! the issue with working for a retail optical (in most cases) is you will only learn what that company wants you to know! if you want to be an Optician, work private practice, preferably Optician owned that way you are learning what it is to be an Optician, from an Optician. Also try and get a job in a lab, at least part time. If you know first hand how the specs are made you will be a better Optician. My last piece of advice, order all of the industry publications you can, read them all cover to cover.
    Paul:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great advice so far. I would venture to say that not all retailers are bad though. Some have good apprentice programs designed to learn the basics of being an optician. As I write this I noticed in ziggy's comment he did say (in most cases), so I guess this ground was already covered.

If you look at the private world, make sure you find someone you can learn from.

My best advice would be, be open and ready to absorb lots of information, and be willing to change when you recognize the need to change. Best of luck to you, and keep us in mind when you have more questions.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Start working...anywhere! The good, the bad, and the ugly! True, you may not stay, but it's great to look at different practices from all angles, including the inside. I prefer (very) private practice.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Work for Barry Santini or Harry Chilling or John's as your mentors.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You will learn a great deal in your degree program most who train via apprenticeship never get to see. Combine that knowledge with any work experience you have, and keep advancing. Learn all the ins and out, even with the chains. They are not all bad, and you can learn a lot from working with them. Find excellent mentors along the way.....those who really know all the facets of the field. Good luck in your career. One more thing......we have a tendency to allow the chains to define who we are. Don't all into that. Define yourself and you can still go far. I wish you the best.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE PROFESSION EATS YOUR SOUL!!!

OK, if you insist on staying, here's a few tips. Everybody here is dead on. Remember, you are the expert.....learning is continual. I have just past my 39th. year in the business and I never stop reading, learning or networking.

Working at both the BEST and WORST optical places is educational! Some of the best opticians I have ever met worked at really horrible places because they had to.

Learn everything there is to know about MAKING lenses! An optician without a good surfacing background can never truly say he or she knows everything about lenses.

When you work front of the house, treat every patient or customer or client like you would want someone to treat your grandmother! Treat everyone with respect and don't pass up an opportunity to educate. "You should get this because I'm the expert" doesn't fly! Back it up!

HAVE FUN! I wouldn't still be here if I didn't enjoy the profession...if I wanted to get rich...I would have become a financial consultant......
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really appreciate all the advice, its been very helpful! I've been trying my hardest to break into the profession but most employers around here seem to be looking for 2+ years in the trade. Every time I've gone to an optical center I've tried leave the best impression and trade emails/business cards if possible.

I'm very open to working in the private sector, I just haven't seen any turnover for a door in.

I was also curious if anyone remembers a publication that would be good to start with?
    Went to amazon and well...there are quite a lot of books. So, any recommendations on where to start with the reading?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I took with pic real quick a few years back, kept it in my dropbox for just such an occasion. Hope it helps.

Attachment 11261

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    GET OUT NOW BEFORE THE PROFESSION EATS YOUR SOUL!!!

OK, if you insist on staying, here's a few tips. Everybody here is dead on. Remember, you are the expert.....learning is continual. I have just past my 39th. year in the business and I never stop reading, learning or networking.

Working at both the BEST and WORST optical places is educational! Some of the best opticians I have ever met worked at really horrible places because they had to.

Learn everything there is to know about MAKING lenses! An optician without a good surfacing background can never truly say he or she knows everything about lenses.

When you work front of the house, treat every patient or customer or client like you would want someone to treat your grandmother! Treat everyone with respect and don't pass up an opportunity to educate. "You should get this because I'm the expert" doesn't fly! Back it up!

HAVE FUN! I wouldn't still be here if I didn't enjoy the profession...if I wanted to get rich...I would have become a financial consultant......
    Dead on. This profession WILL EAT YOUR SOUL. If your ok with that, heres a few more recommendations.

Read -
    How to make friends and influence people - Dale Carnegie (the audio book was tremendous)
    System for Opthalmic Dispensing - Brooks & Borish
    The Oz Principle - Partners In Leadership - Connors
    Read all of the information you can about progressive lenses But keep an open mind. The "hype" will trick you into believing that every brand thinks they are the best. DON'T believe the hype! Every progressive lens has its merits and flaws. Understanding each progressive lens and discovering the patients needs will guide you to choosing the correct one.

I absolutely agree that you should have some lab under your belt. I have 5 years of surface and AR to draw from. It can only enhance your understanding of lens materials, lens companies, how it's made, why its made that way, ansi standards, frame construction, adjustment, frame materials, lensometry (including power and prism and what to do if they are incorrect), troubleshooting issues the patient might be experiencing, and lens coating.
    I worked for Lenscrafters for a lot of years and got to work with all sorts of surface and finish equipment. The more machines you work with, the deeper your understanding of How its made and why will be. Float from store to store if you can. Use and understand as much equipment as possible.

Next, BE HUMBLE. Nothing is worse then an optician who thinks they are right ALL THE TIME especially if they are wrong. We are all human and we all make mistakes..... with the exception of my lab manager who thinks she is right ALL THE TIME and is incapable of making mistakes. BWAHAHHA couldent say that with a straight face, I catch her mistakes all the time. Remember this - when you work alone you are the only who holds yourself accountable for your actions. Keep yourself in check. Don't cheat or cut corners, your only cheating yourself and the customers.

You are gonna do great things. Keep up the good work!

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can't get in with a private practice, go with one of the chains. They probably won't require any experience, and after you've worked there for a couple of years, you'll have your 2+ years experience to get into a private practice.

As others have said, there are great opticians working at not-so-great places. Learn all you can from them, and never stop learning.
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CWill View Post
    I reside in CA and I recently passed my ABO and got my license all squared away. I'm working on getting the study materials together and money for the NCLE so I can take it as soon as possible. Then eventually get the money together to go to school in Nevada for Opticians.

The hitch in my master plan I've recently come to realize is... I don't really feel like the ABO or the materials I used to study for the test has prepared me for anything in the field . In the area I live in very few places actually have their own "labs", most of the job opportunities here are boutiques in the San Francisco area and major retailers (Costco, Sears, Walmart, Warby Parker,JC Pennys, ect). There are however a couple of Kaisers and LensCrafters nearby. I strolled through and read quite a few pages from the "TIPS" section here but most seem to apply to lab work.

Now to the heart of my question that I was hoping to get advice on, what can I look forward to at working at these places? From talking to a few Opticians in this area my understanding is that you are frame and coating salesmen under a strict quota. I personally hate the feeling of being completely unprepared, SO...

Any advice for a new Optician starting out in this part of the field?
    What information/skills will I need to be able to do my job effectively?
    Is there anything I can work on now while I'm beginning to apply to be more efficient?
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good reading materials for new opticians?

Cwill- Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Grasshopper, you will be launched on a journey of learning and hard work if you accept our world. There is a lot to learn if you really want to get what opticianry is about. A licensed optician can fit contacts and glasses. if you really learn optics and contact lens fitting , you can become an indispensable addition to an optical practice , of course at an additional salary. This means either additional education or other training.

Thread Information