Thread: illegal dispensing

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

illegal dispensing

This question is for those on Optiboard who reside in licensed states. Have you ever reported illegal practices to the proper authorities only to have nothing done? What have you done to prod along the powers in charge of such things? I'm also curious if there a blind eye turned these activities. Thanks in advance for your commits.
    Paul:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post

This question is for those on Optiboard who reside in licensed states. Have you ever reported illegal practices to the proper authorities only to have nothing done? What have you done to prod along the powers in charge of such things? I'm also curious if there a blind eye turned these activities. Thanks in advance for your commits.

There are only blind eyes in that sense and it is a world wide activity. Our on-line opticals are popping up on every continent and are selling millions of pairs of glasses and nobody seems to care if they are licensed or not. The regulators in licensed states seem to do nothing against them, so they have a free for all.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    First of all I would ask for your definition of "illegal practices?"

By "proper authorities" I assume that you mean a State Board of Registration. That being the case, lots of luck. You will have better results by filing a complaint with the State Attorney Generals office.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its only "Illegal" if there is a "state statue" aka "state law" against it. If so you will have better and faster luck through the state attorneys office. Personally myself I just took a copy of the statue being violated, called to meet a officer at the location and pointed out to him and the owner my problem. POOF problem disappeared.

Now if it is only a "Board Rule" being broken. Well good luck with that.

Flip side of that is if you get a reputation of being a"rat" in your profession there may be those out there that will hesitate to hire you somewhere down the road. If hire you at all. Here in Florida we are supposed to report such activity, if we don't then we are just as guilty and can be punished. So what do you do to protect your profession and reputation? 64 dollar question.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Please explain what "activities" you're referring to . There once was an urban clothing store near by selling color contacts to whomever walked in off the street to buy them . I think it took a couple of phone calls and a letter from the board for them to finally stop . So I think if you know of questionable activities , it couldn't hurt to let the board know .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my opinion the gas stations, clothing stores and hair salons are the least of concern.I think that national chains that sell and dispense contacts without licensed qualified Opticians is of greater concern. As you know in Ohio, you must be C/L licensed to sell or dispense contacts and most of the chains DO NOT employee a dual or C/L licensed Optician. Take a look in your area and let me know if in your part of the state you notice the same issue.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeSore View Post
    Please explain what "activities" you're referring to . There once was an urban clothing store near by selling color contacts to whomever walked in off the street to buy them . I think it took a couple of phone calls and a letter from the board for them to finally stop . So I think if you know of questionable activities , it couldn't hurt to let the board know .

Occupation
    I think those chains are playing the (we have a Dr on site ) card . In my area I've heard of wm employees getting their *ss in a sling for dispensing with out a Dr on site . Not sure how to works where you are . Are the dispensers your talking about Dr employees or spec LDO' working for the chain .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my opinion the gas stations, clothing stores and hair salons are the least of concern.I think that national chains that sell and dispense contacts without licensed qualified Opticians is of greater concern. As you know in Ohio, you must be C/L licensed to sell or dispense contacts and most of the chains DO NOT employee a dual or C/L licensed Optician. Take a look in your area and let me know if in your part of the state you notice the same issue.
    Paul, your state legislators met last year I thought and planned on getting rid of CL Licensure of Opticians. What ever happened with that?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I doubt there is anyone or any governing body (legitimate organizations) related to the optical field who gives a rat's behind about who is dispensing what in what way. We work in vision care, we dispense glasses, we don't dispense controlled substances or anything that can really be exploited for lucrative means. Heck, just go to your local flea market and you can see someone selling rx colored contacts. Some opticians have this notion that there is some sort of "eyeglasses police" in which no such ridiculous thing exists.

I remember being trained several years ago at a VisionWorks two-week "boot camp" in which we (all new hires) were taught the basics of opticianry... And the Vice President (when it used to be ECCA) HIMSELF! said we didn't have to take written prescriptions for glasses or contacts!! He said we can just read the current glasses in the lensometer or take old contact boxes and those "would work just fine!" -- He said written Rx's would be nice to have on file, but that it WASN'T NECCESSARY!!!!
    Last edited by spex911; 08-06-2014 at 05:47 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have reported several places in the past, most recently, one for allowing an apprentice to dispense and adjust while the Licensed Optician was wandering around the mall or left the building and the other was a novelty store selling colored contact lenses without a prescription and without a Licensed Optician on site. Both were successful at getting the unlicensed activity stopped. I encourage all who know that unlicensed activity is happening to report it to the appropriate state board, attorney general, and/or law enforcement authorities as you see fit. Just make sure to have as much information as possible about the activity (names, dates, times, etc.) This is our profession, if we don't protect it and do our part, then nobody else is.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by spex911 View Post
    I doubt there is anyone or any governing body (legitimate organizations) related to the optical field who gives a rat's behind about who is dispensing what in what way.
    Really? I think you might need to research that a little bit, it might change your mind.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FL-Opt View Post
    This is our profession, if we don't protect it and do our part, then nobody else is.
    Agreed. If you reported something and nothing happened, you might want to look into moving up the food chain with the complaint, if possible.

Occupation
    Ohio state legislator chose to keep the CL Licensure of Opticians .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my opinion the gas stations, clothing stores and hair salons are the least of concern.I think that national chains that sell and dispense contacts without licensed qualified Opticians is of greater concern.
    Oh ya? Explain that one to us please?
    Personally I would rather buy from a unlicensed optical establishment. At least there is a chance that someone there SHOULD know something about care and compliance.
    Any other locations..........well really all I do here is pump gas...........but let me sell you these pretty contacts. I have other really cool ones with pictures on them under the counter........lookey here. (as im wiping the grease off my hands)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have reported several places in the past, most recently, one for allowing an apprentice to dispense and adjust while the Licensed Optician was wandering around the mall or left the building and the other was a novelty store selling colored contact lenses without a prescription and without a Licensed Optician on site. Both were successful at getting the unlicensed activity stopped. I encourage all who know that unlicensed activity is happening to report it to the appropriate state board, attorney general, and/or law enforcement authorities as you see fit. Just make sure to have as much information as possible about the activity (names, dates, times, etc.) This is our profession, if we don't protect it and do our part, then nobody else is.
    Ahahah that's funny... No one cares, we work in the boring vision care field... How about we alert "Da Glasses Police" and see if they make any arrests!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    AS of now its stalled in the Senate.
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Paul, your state legislators met last year I thought and planned on getting rid of CL Licensure of Opticians. What ever happened with that?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sweet! I think this statement kind of sums up the thought process of the average chain and why we should be vigilant and hold regulatory bodies to task.

Quote Originally Posted by spex911 View Post
    He said we can just read the current glasses in the lensometer or take old contact boxes and those "would work just fine!" -- He said written Rx's would be nice to have on file, but that it WASN'T NECCESSARY!!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Legislators as a whole did not choose anything, the bill was held up(thank goodness) in the senate
    Ohio state legislator chose to keep the CL Licensure of Opticians .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    Oh ya? Explain that one to us please?
    My point is in any given city you may have 3-5 gas stations selling contacts but you will have 15-20 retail stores, they are, in my opinion, the greater issue, and of course this is only my opinion. My problem is not the sales clerks ability to match numbers on boxes but whether or not they know enough instruct the patient on proper wearing and care.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have reported several places in the past, This is our profession, if we don't protect it and do our part, then nobody else is.
    BRAVO! well said, how long after you reported an issue was it addressed?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think those chains are playing the (we have a Dr on site ) card .
    Some may, but unless the OD is employed by the retail store the point is moot. At some of the stores, ie. LC, the OD has the contact business, but in most the contact business belongs to store and the OD is independent and only does the exam and fitting. Unless employed by the store the OD can not take on the responsibility checking the correctness of the CL order, that responsibility solely belongs to the (CL)licensed Optician.

Occupation
    how long after you reported an issue was it addressed?
    Ziggy , I'd say give Bill or Nancy a call and air you're grievances . They're good at getting things done .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eye sore, thanks for the discussion. they were contacted, that's the reason for my initial post.

Thread Information