Thread: further consolidation...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist

further consolidation...

So Newlook (141 stores mostly in quebec) has just purchased Greiche and Scaff (49 corporate stores in la belle province) for 18 million $.

At 190 stores across Canada I think that might easily be the biggest chain in the country.

The only question is........ WHEN does either of the beasts purchase this whole shabang.

As a little guy operating an independent practice here, that is definitely worrisome- more so than the webbs and those crazy internets machines

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by optimensch View Post
    So Newlook (141 stores mostly in quebec) has just purchased Greiche and Scaff (49 corporate stores in la belle province) for 18 million $.

At 190 stores across Canada I think that might easily be the biggest chain in the country.

The only question is........ WHEN does either of the beasts purchase this whole shabang.

As a little guy operating an independent practice here, that is definitely worrisome- more so than the webbs and those crazy internets machines
    At an average buy of $367K for each location, that seems to be a fire sale and perhaps is just the first chess move as part of a much larger acquisition to follow?

Even if it doesn't transpire, it's a great way to boost your market presence and get rid of some competition at the same time!

$18M is a bargain for 49 stores.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do not forget....it has always been said that New Look is in bed with E. So does this mean E bought G&S. Months ago rumour had it that E left G&S with cartons of finacial documents. Could that have been the beginning and now this is the end of that drama. With online for E and now all of these retail stores, how long until the two come togeather.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HindSight2020 View Post
    At an average buy of $367K for each location, that seems to be a fire sale and perhaps is just the first chess move as part of a much larger acquisition to follow?

Even if it doesn't transpire, it's a great way to boost your market presence and get rid of some competition at the same time!

I will sell you my store for $375,000.
    I gave you a discount.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I will sell you my store for $375,000.
    I gave you a discount.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

....................That all depends how you look at them. There are 2 different ones I go by every week a couple of times and many years I have never seen a customer in any of the 3 stores and always wondered how they have and manage in expensive shopping center locations.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    ....................That all depends how you look at them. There are 2 different ones I go by every week a couple of times and many years I have never seen a customer in any of the 3 stores and always wondered how they have and manage in expensive shopping center locations.
    Most likely they survive by draining the profitable locations. Interesting that Newlook isn't using cash and instead is extending their financing arrangements and issuing new shares for the capital. Those kinds of deals can bite you in the behind in the future.

Occupation

Blue Jumper Newest unproven rumor is that Hoya buys Seiko........................................

Most likely they survive by draining the profitable locations. Interesting that Newlook isn't using cash and instead is extending their financing arrangements and issuing new shares for the capital. Those kinds of deals can bite you in the behind in the future.

It did not bother Coastal and they all made money and moved into the shoe business and will do it all over again.

Newest unproven rumor is that Hoya buys Seiko.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Newest unproven rumor is that Hoya buys Seiko.
    That Hoya maintains a 50% stake in Seiko Optical Products is old news first reported in Nov 2012: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8FA02Q20121116
    RT

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    That Hoya maintains a 50% stake in Seiko Optical Products is old news first reported in Nov 2012: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8FA02Q20121116
    Correct and heard it was originally done to acquire the rights to FF software licensing agreement. Maybe the latest rumour is they want to purchase the remaining stake?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Correct and heard it was originally done to acquire the rights to FF software licensing agreement. Maybe the latest rumour is they want to purchase the remaining stake?

Not a rumor is that they have consolidated their sales force in the U.S. Hoya reps out, Seiko reps in. Sounds like much more than a licensing agreement to me.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by OIC View Post
    Not a rumor is that they have consolidated their sales force in the U.S. Hoya reps out, Seiko reps in. Sounds like much more than a licensing agreement to me.
    Interesting and makes sense. Hoya and Seiko both being Japanese owned corporations may stand a better chance joining forces/resources together to have a chance in surviving globally against Essilor.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any press releases in Vision Monday on this.

Occupation

I'm surprised I haven't seen any press releases in Vision Monday on this.

Looks like it is old hat:

"Hoya Corp said on Friday it will take control of Seiko Epson Corp's eyeglass lens development and manufacturing business as part of a partnership to expand sales of eyewear products globally." That's a recent post from Reuters. Read more.

Seiko Epson reported that the two companies commenced negotiations in April 2012. As a result, Epson will transfer its eyeglass lenses business to Hoya. According to the terms of the deal, the two companies' related businesses will be merged and leveraged worldwide. Hoya also concluded an alliance with Seiko Holdings Corporation over the sale of eyeglass-related products.

http://opticalceu.blogspot.ca/2012/1...ko-epsons.html

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Looks like it is old hat:

"Hoya Corp said on Friday it will take control of Seiko Epson Corp's eyeglass lens development and manufacturing business as part of a partnership to expand sales of eyewear products globally." That's a recent post from Reuters. Read more.

Seiko Epson reported that the two companies commenced negotiations in April 2012. As a result, Epson will transfer its eyeglass lenses business to Hoya. According to the terms of the deal, the two companies' related businesses will be merged and leveraged worldwide. Hoya also concluded an alliance with Seiko Holdings Corporation over the sale of eyeglass-related products.

http://opticalceu.blogspot.ca/2012/1...ko-epsons.html
    Yes it seems so, thanks Chris. I haven't seen any evidence of Seiko reps replacing the Hoya sales force.

Thread Information