Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis Vision

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Davis Vision

My optometrist is thinking about accepting Davis Vision. We are a small independent. Comments please on the quality of lenses from Davis Vision and the quality of their frames. Thank You

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've only had negative experiences with Davis. Takes 2 weeks or more to get the glasses. When I used them I had to send 1 in 4 back for anything from scratches to no ar.

Now we take co pays and do it our selves.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our experience with Davis is horrible. I live in New Mexico and we are assigned to the New York lab. They give us ground labels to send in non Davis frames so those take at least 3 weeks. The lab work is spotty at best. Also the fact that I cant talk to someone that actually works at the lab is frustrating. I am not the decision maker here so I don't have a choice, but if I did we wouldnt be working with them at all. Also the frame selection sucks especially for petite women.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    We take Davis , and make more just selling the frames than we do from the plan . So if you're a small office it may be a way to increase your frame inventory with little investment .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't do it... They make our brand look bad with the quality they lack. Progressive selection sucks at best although I have seen some mower ones added to the list.

They keep sending gls to some other address and it gets sent back to Davis and thrown into a room to die a slow death. When you call to inquire they have to remake the complete job vs actually organizing returns.... Smh.

Send a remake with a 2base and a 6base in a frame and was like pulling teeth to get them to understand that.

Avoid!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    You will be hard-pressed to find a positive review of Davis Vision hereabouts.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The most positive thing I can say about Davis Vision materials, is if I'm looking for a frame that's been out of style for 5 years that the patient insists on having there's a good chance I can find it on the Davis Vision board. The whole board is not that bad, but the majority is, and that was after our "frame refresh" 2 weeks ago.
    Though I will say one truly positive thing about Davis Vision (though it is not a frame or lab related matter), they have some of the most liberal rules on medically necessary contact lenses of any managed care vision plan we deal with and they are consistent with the rules they lay out in the provider manual (even to the point of paying for soft multifocal toric contact lenses at full UCR).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Crap, you'll regret it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah, so ..... That's a tough insurance to love. If you do decide to take it, think of it as a community service rather then a way to make money. Make sure your patients understand it will take 2-3 weeks before they receive their glasses. Read the paperwork and understand it before you process every order. There are lots of traps and places you can make mistakes when you submit the claim. It's a lot of work. If you love red tape, a mediocre frame selection and lots of paperwork then it will be a labor of love, if not it's just going to be labor.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    From a lab perspective, as of last week, we have actually filed a federal lawsuit against Davis Vision(Illinois Central District Case # 14-CV3231), alleging violations of the Sherman Antitrust act and the Clayton Antitrust Act. Like you, we believe their policies destroy competition and significantly harm independent labs and optical dispensaries.

We are also working with the Illinois Optometric Association on circulating a petition asking the Illinois Attorney General to file suit against Davis Vision to end these policies we all agree harm our businesses.

I'm going to talk to our attorneys to see about posting the petition here so that you can have an opportunity to have your voices heard.

Private Message me if you would be willing tell me your perspective on these policies.
    Thanks,
    Peter Kimerling
    www.identityoptical.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by IdentityOpticalLab View Post
    From a lab perspective, as of last week, we have actually filed a federal lawsuit against Davis Vision(Illinois Central District Case # 14-CV3231), alleging violations of the Sherman Antitrust act and the Clayton Antitrust Act. Like you, we believe their policies destroy competition and significantly harm independent labs and optical dispensaries.

We are also working with the Illinois Optometric Association on circulating a petition asking the Illinois Attorney General to file suit against Davis Vision to end these policies we all agree harm our businesses.

I'm going to talk to our attorneys to see about posting the petition here so that you can have an opportunity to have your voices heard.

Private Message me if you would be willing tell me your perspective on these policies.
    Thanks,
    Peter Kimerling
    www.identityoptical.com
    Very interesting. Can you please keep us updated. You might want to start a separate thread.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We are one of the largest Davis Vision providers for our area. The plans differ widely in terms of reimbursement, even for exam services. Some of the plans can be money makers, others will make you want to cry.

They have been updating their lenses and frame selection. You will make more money by selling them one of your frames than a plan frame. Depending upon your contact lens fees and preferred brands, you might even make more money letting them supply the contacts. As far as lenses are concerned, they are also heavily embedded with Essilor product, and recently replaced the Seiko Surmount with the Shamir Intouch as the Ultra PAL.

While I don't seem to have the 1 in 4 needing a redo issue anymore.. I do seem to have one order at all times that just is cursed. I have successfully on a few occasions now had them pay for our preferred lab to process.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The only way to get anything done with them is to yell and scream, they have improved their customer service a lot over the past couple of years but almost every job we do there is something that is a GIANT pain. like chaotic said, its more of a community service plan. and their crappy products and customer service only make YOU look bad. the reps make it sound like the patient gets everything for free (which practically, they do) but you have to be the bad guy and say WELL the warranty is $XX, and the progressives are $XX and then if you want to get anything else its $XX $XX and $XX ... but high index for a $55 copay ain't bad.

Keep ALL of your paperwork and make sure they sign it. we also created an add'l waiver to say that tehy were opting out of the scratch warranty (i always print it off and give them a copy too, plus it goes in their chart), because patients would say they didnt want it then expect to get one anyway 6 months later.

you may not get a lot of positive response here
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Very poor quality, unless it's a wrap frame. They must send those out to another lab, otherwise the quality is horrible.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    and good luck if it's a flat top with anti glare.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We one of 3 places in a 30 mile radius to take Davis.

The lens are fine, the frames are the worst, the quality is fair to poor. customer service has gotten a lot better, turn round time has been improved to about 5 business days, (unless something funky)
    Payout isn't the greatest for glasses, just a matter of upselling and out of plan frames.
    Dr does make good money off of medical visits with Davis.

My warning is the Patients, A very entitled group. Your use of PGX, glass and ST will increase.
    Many Davis only want what is covered and then complain that the union should pay for everything.
    As they walk out of the office with 3 pairs of glasses paying about $150 in copay for all 3 pairs

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Davis will make you want to cry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Boldt ,
    How are you taking only the co pays and doing the work? Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Im not one to throw fuel on the fire but did you know they accidentally deleted the Fed-ex account information in their data base? anyone from Fed-ex will be unable to have their glasses claim processed due to the Fed-ex account being "maintenanced" with no estimated time frame to correct the problem.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by bwarren View Post

Boldt ,
    How are you taking only the co pays and doing the work? Thanks
    We add up the co pays and figure the best lens for the money for the pt wile still making enough to make it worth it. Progressives we use our labs generic digital backside lens and its more than covered. For SV stock. If they have a 0 copay plan we still send it to Davis. The fact that they don't specify what AR frees us up for choosing the AR, anything above standard we make sure and give a oil-phobic and hydrophobic lens. We submit for the frame and exam only.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank you for your answer Boldt

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    No problem. :^)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Never send a patients own frame to Davis...especially if it is a good brand or high quality. You will not likely get it back.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hell or your own higher end frames fro that matter.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Never send a patients own frame to Davis...especially if it is a good brand or high quality. You will not likely get it back.
    true story

Thread Information