Thread: Save the Varilux Ellipse!!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Blue Jumper Save the Varilux Ellipse!!

Since this lens came out it has been a great go to lens for anything from a 18 seg down to 14, out of a thousand dispenses there may be 1 non-adapt. It is a great lens to put on a first time PaL wearer and has a nice wide distance area and is quick to use as far as the intermediate to reading corridor. I wish they would make it available with all the good options out there. Every time we see a Varilux rep. they bring up that they are looking at doing away with the Ellipse and we always tell them what a great lens it is even in its age and to please keep it out there. So post here if you wish to try to help keep it around, kind of a poll, I know there are Varilux reps that visit this site (and no need to expose yourselves) but as this thread grows show you're higher up's what you see about the Ellipse.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to stay Verilux I prefer Comfort 2 or Comfort 2 DRX over Ellipse anyday.
    goodsearch.com vosh

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter ak47's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyDie View Post
    If you want to stay Verilux I prefer Comfort 2 or Comfort 2 DRX over Ellipse anyday.

that's not a fair comparison, the ellipse is a short. ellipse does work very well for myopic presbyopes with low to moderate adds, but these days so do a bunch of other lenses.

from what i understand, "comfort short" is basically the same lens, so don't sweat it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My bad I meant Comfort 2 Short and Short DRX
    goodsearch.com vosh

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can wear any progressive but the Ellipse was not a favorite. It just seemed swimmier, I was more aware I was wearing a progressive. With most of them, I never think about it. I like the Physio Short better, have you tried that one?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Essilor/Varilux doesn't come out with new designs or retire old ones. They just rename their lenses every so often to make it look like they are offering new and improved products. So when it looks like it is gone, you just need to figure out the new name for the Ellipse.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by m0002a View Post
    Essilor/Varilux doesn't come out with new designs or retire old ones. They just rename their lenses every so often to make it look like they are offering new and improved products. So when it looks like it is gone, you just need to figure out the new name for the Ellipse.
    I do believe this to an extent, and we have used many other short corridor lenses from Comf to DRX to Ideal to S design and even back to the oldschool Picolo for glass, but the Ellipse seems to always have been fool proof. I dont think digital is all it's cracked up to be at all, I can make a -10.00 +4.75 Ellipse out of poly and the Pt. loves it (Yet as it's way out of range) as they would like you to believe. I also dont think Crizal has changed to a UV protectant but they upped the price none the less.
    When it comes to optics I beleive what I see not what I'm told (no pun intended) well maybe a lil

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    From my perspective, Varilux won't get rid of a lens that is selling. They said they were getting rid of the Panamic for years. Finally, when the usage got low enough, they raised the cost to get it even lower before they pulled the plug.

The other problem I see is that the Comfort Short and Comfort Short DRX are both digital lenses. They don't like to call the Comfort Short a digital lens, but it has a digital design cut on the back of a normal Comfort blank to make it a Short corridor. Varilux put a power range limit in their digital line, so if it is out of range, it can't be processed. Also, several labs still don't have digital equipment making the Ellipse a better lens choice for them to process in house. Furthermore, Physio Short, the remaining Varilux option adds another level of cost to the equation.

I wouldn't worry about it at this point. If you like the lens, sell it. As others have said, there are other lenses that will work, and there will be several more by the time the Ellipse truly gets discontinued. Until then, don't let them get to you.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I bet it will be around for awhile. I just had a keratoconus customer with a -6.00 cyl, and it was the only PAL either lab I use could manage it in.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Outkast View Post
    no need to expose yourselves
    Ill try not to that's NSFW but no guarantees, it is Monday so who knows. I like the Ellipse but ill agree that the comf enh is comparable. Bring back the Panamic!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    Bring back the Panamic!
    Hear here!! The Panamic was a great lens.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    So technically, what is different between the Panamic, Ellipse, Physio and even Comfort? Why do we want to save something, anything, that most people even hear could never even explain?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    So technically, what is different between the Panamic, Ellipse, Physio and even Comfort? Why do we want to save something, anything, that most people even hear could never even explain?
    Caveat Emptor, but it's must my understanding that the Panamic was a Gradal Top knockoff, an Ellipse is a defined short only lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can someone explain to me why we are discussing dinosaur bones here? Really?! We are wringing our hands over the Ellipse?
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information