Thread: Residual Reflection on Crizal Easy

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Residual Reflection on Crizal Easy

I had a patient come in today to whom we had dispensed a pair of glasses with Crizal Easy AR. She sees great out of them and has no complaints. However, her husband is not happy with the amount of reflection he sees when looking at her. She has a pair she purchased from us when we were part of another company that he is much happier with. There is very little residual reflection in them. My lab tech tells me that the previous pair was probably a Sharpview+ or Reflection Free. Any input on experience you have had with similar issues would be greatly appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Some ARs have different color reflections, the most pretty of which IMO are Sapphire and Purecoat or Carat. Crizal Avance are by far the superior AR over many choices, however their reflex color is more noticeable than many other options, including Unity's comparable Elite AR. Maybe try Carat? It should be a about the price of Crizal Easy, and just as good if not better in scratch/cleanability factor.

I never use Easy, only Avance or Saphire, other wise I use Elite, Carat or Purecoat

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnRoss View Post
    I had a patient come in today to whom we had dispensed a pair of glasses with Crizal Easy AR. She sees great out of them and has no complaints. However, her husband is not happy with the amount of reflection he sees when looking at her. She has a pair she purchased from us when we were part of another company that he is much happier with. There is very little residual reflection in them. My lab tech tells me that the previous pair was probably a Sharpview+ or Reflection Free. Any input on experience you have had with similar issues would be greatly appreciated.
    The newer Crizals reflect back UV also so they are reflecting back more color now then they did in the past. I prefer our labs stack over branded products.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    The newer Crizals reflect back UV also so they are reflecting back more color now then they did in the past. I prefer our labs stack over branded products.
    What color is the stack? Do they last as long as the top of the line branded stuff?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I don't notice a really big difference in the appearance of Easy, Alize, and Avance, but your mileage may vary. I echo the sentiment that Sapphire and PureCoat look clearer and that their residual blue is more pleasing to my eye than other Crizal product. If you go back to Reflection Free or Sharpview your patient will be displeased.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Personally I like the Alize. It has a light green color reflection on it. Proper tilt an wrap elevates a lot of it though.
    Avance is my second to choice. It has a light blue reflection to it. Again proper tilt and wrap is a tremendous help.
    Sharpview is quite nice also and I will run with it if for some reason one the preceding two cannot be used.
    Saphire is the last of my choice because it seems to me that the blue/purple color reflecting on the lens surface is rather pronounced and it takes a lot of wraping and tilting to elevate it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
    Some ARs have different color reflections, the most pretty of which IMO are Sapphire and Purecoat or Carat. Crizal Avance are by far the superior AR over many choices, however their reflex color is more noticeable than many other options, including Unity's comparable Elite AR. Maybe try Carat? It should be a about the price of Crizal Easy, and just as good if not better in scratch/cleanability factor.

I never use Easy, only Avance or Saphire, other wise I use Elite, Carat or Purecoat
    Im not sure Carat would be the best choice, it has a gold sheen to it instead of the green that the crizal ez has. Saphire might be the best choice to reduce the reflections completely. It, unfortunately, has a higher cost then the basic crizal but you get what you pay for in this case.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Carat has a blue sheen, Carat Gold has a gold sheen

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for all the input! I'll let you know which way we go and how it turns out.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What is the index of the base lens, and is it a different raw material than the other set? Are the lenses minus or plus? Are they edge polished?
    Eyes wide open

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    my fav for hiding actual reflections you see is zeiss teflon.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always thought the actual reflection colors were the same on Avance, Alize, and Easy- sort of greenish. The Saphire is more blue.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The interesting thing is that residual color is greatly affected by how they clean the AR chamber, you can a different RC on Tues than you did on Wednesday, and if you clean the whole machine it changes the color again.

So your Crizal Easy may look slightly different from day to day. In most AR machines your supposed to clean a little bit every day, like the right panel on Monday, the left on tues, the back on wed. If you get out of order it can actually have an effect on the color.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I always thought the actual reflection colors were the same on Avance, Alize, and Easy- sort of greenish. The Saphire is more blue.
    You thought right.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    +1
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I usually always stick with Crizal products, so this thread has been helpful to me and I may try Carat in the future! I've had the same problem with the mid-level or basic Crizal products. My absolute favorite is Sapphire, I wish VSP would get on board with it!! Most people don't mind Avance, and Alize is very subtle.

To me they are similar but have a distinct difference. Avance is green, Alize is a subtle green that can turn into a light purple, but not very noticeable and Easy is GREEEEN!

Occupation
    Crizal with backside UV, originally Crizal had a second derivative that indicated a maximum in the UV range and HEV, the change with backside UV has a second derivative that indicates a minimum if they are trying not to reflect it back at the clients eyes. That means that the second derivative near the HEV or visible end of the near UV spectrum is a rising edge not a falling edge and the second derivative near the eyes most sensitive spectrum should have a higher reflectance. Translation to allow UV to pass through the coating and be absorbed by the lens material, the green end of the spectrum would exhibit more reflectance and be more GREEEEN. Just slightly but it does reflect more green and since the eye is sensitive to the green/yellow spectrum during photopic conditions it is a more noticeable coating then it's counter parts even in the same color. The example below is just an illustration not the actual transmission curve. I have circled the eye's photopic sensitivity wavelength 555nm and the UV wavelength (below 400nm). To give a real world example, the resolution clear AR was able to evenly reflect (to the human eye) wavelength in such a way that the coating had no residual color, this did not mean a flat curve or lowering the peaks it meant raising the valleys which translates to higher reflectance in certain wavelength to offset the residual colors reflected in others.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arcoatingsexample.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	11922
    PS - this is an assumption based on science, math, and experience. I haven't seen the transmission curve for Crizal lenses. I was searching for the documents I had that showed a slightly higher reflectance for New Crizal vs old Crizal but I don't seem to have it anymore. If anyone still has old whitepapers with claims for reduced reflectance check it out.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Name:	EasySnap1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	11923I measure the reflection of Crizal UV.
    on the picture: the purple is Crizal CC, the red is Crizal CX, the blue one is the our AR standard...
    the different in reflection is fev %... but the difference in communicatio is 100%

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauro.Airoldi View Post

Name:	EasySnap1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	11923I measure the reflection of Crizal UV.
    on the picture: the purple is Crizal CC, the red is Crizal CX, the blue one is the our AR standard...
    the different in reflection is fev %... but the difference in communicatio is 100%
    Thank you for that chart it looks like the reflectance at 400 is almost 40% higher with the red and blue coatings, with the difference equaling out at around 450 between them all. That was not exactly what I expected the reflectance to look like but the mean effect over the spectrum should mean a higher percentage reflectance and a shift towards the residual color being a bit more blue.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

OptiBoard Professional Mauro.Airoldi's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Name:	EasySnap2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	11927
    This is the trasmitions of a Crizal UV lens (cian) and a Cr39 (green), you can se... small difference in UV range, and "small" means zero difference.
    Ok with less reflection of UV range on CC it is better but is less reflefction of UV...but UV on CC where are come out from?

Thread Information