Thread: Differences in Edge polish treatments

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Differences in Edge polish treatments

as i was reading through the To polish or not o polish thread, i realized there must be differences between satin, polish roll, and high luster polishing types. does any one have any way to explain this to me? my predecessor didn't explain any of this to me. any help would be appreciated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Satin is a slightly frosted edge as opposed to clear.

Roll and polish is for high high minus. It rounds off the thick outer and nasal areas then they polish it.

High lustre... well its high lustre lol.. it's as see through as the lens itself.

Occupation
    so satin could be described as what the lens looks like right off the wheel? after it dries, a white edge?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, polishing is a double edged blade. It looks really nice, like jewelry. It also has a highly reflective surface. With higher minus Rx's that surface gets bigger and bigger. It can really bother some people when light hits it. Even with an AR coat, that negates the purpose. A light polish is nice, but I've started using the polish wheel judiciously instead of all the time.

http://www.visioncareproducts.com/VC...ING--4038.aspx

This looks like a good walkthrough. It comes down to aesthetics and what the patient requests. According to physics and reality, yes it will reduce the weight of the lens, but kinda not that much so Its more of a non issue for weight reduction.

Rolling and polishing is an art more then it is a science. Practice on a few lenses. use different rouges. Try different things on some dummy lenses. It take ALOT of time to get the pressure and technique right on different materials. Try changing the speed of the polish wheel if its adjustable. if Its to fast and you put to much pressure on the lens you can burn it. If its to slow and your not going to get very far. Plastic and poly lenses on a ceramic wheel will polish up nicely, but boy its tough to get the facet right. A fluffy cotton polishing wheel might burn the front and back of the lens if your not carefull so you may need to use a new wheel until its a little more compact before you can get a nice high luster polish.

I hope that helps

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post

Rolling and polishing is an art more then it is a science.
    Not enough people realize this and simply grind down the edge, leaving a flat, ugly shelf

Occupation
    Fantastic info ya'll thanks for the help, now i just gotta break out the old wheels and practice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A word about rolling the edges: It does reduce edge thickness by creating a "poor-man's lenticular", making the glasses more attractive from the side. However, it also makes for a greater ring effect as seen from the front, so be judicious in the magnitude of the roll.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I'm only familiar between polish rolls or otherwise known as roll and polish. The part of the lens is ground off to make the edges look thinner. This tapered lens varies when the eyeglass prescription increases the thickness will also increase. This polish roll can also be available in satin or high gloss finish that can reduce the thickness on the edges. Hope this can help.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    You can also attain a polished edge by wiping "Polycarbonate Edge Polish" over the edges which only takes seconds to do, without mechanical buffing.

See at ------------------> http://optochemicals.com/products/in...dge_polish.htm

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A really cool technique I've done with great success is to polish the edges of a lens in my edger, but then rough the bottoms and tops a bit on my handwheel. I've found that the areas of bothersome reflections are almost always below and above a wearer's eye, not to the temporal regions. This allows the jeweled polish look to the lenses, without the distracting reflections.

I have a few patients who request this technique every time now.

Thread Information