Thread: Where can I order nose-pad kits for Plastic frames?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Where can I order nose-pad kits for Plastic frames?

Where can I order nose-pad kits to add on plastic frames? Recently, we've been having a lot of complaints about customer's eyelashes touches the back of the lens, and plastic frames sliding down nose bridge.

I want to give them the option to add-on nose pads. If the eye lashes continue to touch the back side of the lens, we might have to do a frame change. What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper we might have to do a frame change .....................................

Quote Originally Posted by optician2601 View Post

What does the crazing look like?. If the eye lashes continue to touch the back side of the lens, we might have to do a frame change. What do you recommend?

If you have these problems correct them at the point of sale, not as an after service. Do not sell them a frame where eyelashes become lens wipers.

Add on nose pads will look ugly and will only get the frame higher up and not away from the lashes.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Where can I order nose-pad kits to add on plastic frames? Recently, we've been having a lot of complaints about customer's eyelashes touches the back of the lens, and plastic frames sliding down nose bridge.

I want to give them the option to add-on nose pads. If the eye lashes continue to touch the back side of the lens, we might have to do a frame change. What do you recommend?

Thanks for the advice.
    Disregard what Chris says. They work really well. We got ours from McCray Optical. Titanium pad arms, mounter, nose pads and a hand driven drill bit tool. Here's a sample I made for the shoppe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nose pad mount.jpg 
Views:	1367 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	11166
    Last edited by edKENdance; 07-25-2014 at 11:11 AM. Reason: wrong company name

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Nose pads will absolutely get the frame away from the lashes, as well as higher. Make sure you are compensating for the raised frame when you measure seg heights and OC heights! I'd recommend installing the nosepads before measuring.

Consider also carrying Prodesign Denmark in your practice; their zyl frames are available with nosepads for just a few bucks more. Long-lashed patients buy Prodesign like crazy.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    Nose pads will absolutely get the frame away from the lashes, as well as higher. Make sure you are compensating for the raised frame when you measure seg heights and OC heights! I'd recommend installing the nosepads before measuring.

Consider also carrying Prodesign Denmark in your practice; their zyl frames are available with nosepads for just a few bucks more. Long-lashed patients buy Prodesign like crazy.
    Not just long lashed patients. We do quite a few fits for Asians and Inuit that have no discernible bridge. In their case the glasses end up fitting in a more usual position.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Ah! Once again cosmetics gets in the way of optics. In the old days we used to try for 6.00cc curves. Now the trend is flatter, flatter, damn the fit and optics

Something Wicked This WayComes AngryFish's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    B&S Catalog Section F pages 14 - 17 has several kits of various materials. Part # 0304 50 is a Titanium kit Part, # 0303 51 is a plastic kit. They offer Titanium pad arms in "push-in" and "screw-in" styles.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him." Jonathan Swift

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are experiencing a lot of complaints regarding ill fitting frames perhaps you should re evaluate the fitting criteria at the practice. Nose pads add-on's should be explained to the patient prior to their purchase and should be done so by an experienced optician. If you are interested in selling acetate frames to your patients you need to provide them with several options, the aforementioned Pro Design, as well as product available with Asian/Alternative fit bridges. First and foremost play closer attention to the fit. Adding pads as an after thought...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for the advice.
    Tell them to remove the damned fake eyelashes all the salons are putting on people now. Or get the pads from Vigor.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    If you have these problems correct them at the point of sale, not as an after service. Do not sell them a frame where eyelashes become lens wipers.

Add on nose pads will look ugly and will only get the frame higher up and not away from the lashes.
    Customer did not complain of eyelashes touching lenses during frame selection. She experienced this problem during dispensing.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Disregard what Chris says. They work really well. We got ours from McCray Optical. Titanium pad arms, mounter, nose pads and a hand driven drill bit tool. Here's a sample I made for the shoppe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nose pad mount.jpg 
Views:	1367 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	11166
    Which pad arm did you use?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I only use the titanium pad arms with the kit from McCray. I used wine colour for the sample because I think those aren't going to be in high demand.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Customer did not complain of eyelashes touching lenses during frame selection. She experienced this problem during dispensing.
    This can happen if the lenses are thicker or if they change the front curve of the frame. This is one of many things to try to anticipate when selecting frames.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information